It´s the same with Frontier Developments Game Downloads. Adguard is manipulating some files. What we need is a function to deactivate file manipulation and also an option to set AdGuards functionality to off when not working from a dedicated browser. This is unbelievable annoying.
Ok. After the removal of Adguard it instantly works. After reinstalling AdGuard it instantly fails.
We have done several tests here. Easiest way to reproduce could be the installation of Elite: Dangerous 2.3.10 Beta. It happens right there and is 100 % reproducable. You may want to check the...
We are trying to determine the reason for the files being modified, and one of the last possibilities is AdGuard. We will run some file compares this evening to either detect the modification or whether the problem is totally related to something different. (Bad weather or so :))
we are using AWS as Host for files. When downloading the files and checking checksums the files seem to be "manipulated". It looks like there is some kind of Deep Packet Inspection running.
Is it possible that AdGuard is doing something like this?
Is this a standard reply?
Link is the title. Default settings for germany.
www.stepstone.de gives me a:
You don't have permission to access "http://www.stepstone.de/" on this server.
could be a test, is owned by Axel Springer Verlag, mostly known for doing everything possible against adblockers and all the stuff. Site only is available when AdGuardServices are completely turned off via Task Manager, no idea which setting finally causes the access denied message, somebody of...
Beta has the same issues. There is nothing running except the browser, and it takes 98 % CPU Load. I will uninstall AdGuard until I got information from support or here in the forums. Seems to be the only viable way to get rid of this problem.
Hey, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately nothing has changed in the last weeks, the cpu is a pretty mid-standard 4 Ghz i5, 16 GB Ram, SSD - not the newest, but definetely not a single core. Clean uninstall/reinstall didnt solve the problem as expected. I sent the logs to support, lets see what...