2.11.81: Cosmetic filters don't work

Discussion in 'Technical Support (AdGuard for Android)' started by bobthebob, May 18, 2018.

1. bobthebob

bobthebob New Member

Hi,

I just purchased AdGuard for Android. Well, I'm a bit disappointed now because it seems it doesn't work when using Chrome browser as intended and I have no benefits over using the free AdAway. But AG is working inside other apps.

Here you are promoting the feature that AG will apply cosmetic filters, e.g. removing blank spaces or frame where the blocked ads would show up.
    Now I just opened the same google search request as in your blog article above and see what's happening:
    Screenshot_20180518-045841.png

Same with other pages, e.g. 9gag.com:
    Screenshot_20180518-045835.png

Info:
    • I'm on Android 7.1.1 with root access.
    • AG's HTTPS cert is installed.
    • Chrome's "Data Saver" option is turned off and the above websites are no AMP versions.

Another thing: The traffic consumption statistics shown in AG are zero for all apps but for "Android OS", is this normal?

2. vasily_bagirov

vasily_bagirov Administrator Staff Member Administrator

What filtering mode do you have chosen in settings? Try switching to "High-quality" if you haven't already.

Doesn't seem right to me. How long has it been like so?

3. bobthebob

bobthebob New Member

E: Why was my thread moved to custom filters? I was using the "inbuilt" filters (and those are applying cosmetic corrections too, right?). I am not using any self created filters. Thus it's a problem with AG itself I thought.

But back to topic:
    -I tried both modes, fast and high quality filtering.
    -I am using AG now for one day now since purchase. The stats are like this since the beginning/installing of the app.
    -I just tried deleting app data and reinstalling the app. Same result as before:
    1) AG is filtering/working within apps.
    2) Chrome is working too, but the empty frames are not removed.
    3) The statistics still only show increases of "Android OS".

4. Alex302

Alex302 Filters Developer Staff Member Administrator

5. bobthebob

bobthebob New Member

Attached Files:

6. Alex302

Alex302 Filters Developer Staff Member Administrator

HTTPS filtering is not enabled. In this case quality filtering is impossible.
    upload_2018-5-22_14-49-8.png
    When HTTPS filtering enabled you will see something like that

7. bobthebob

bobthebob New Member

Hmm, but it is enabled in the settings and AG shows that (or thinks it is enabled). Tried both variants: installing cert. to user and after that to the system cert. store.
    HTTPS filtering is also enabled for Chrome itself (Apps Management tab), but it must be an overall error, otherwise the statistics would show something for other apps too.

I just tried everything again from scratch: I cleared my cert. store, restarted phone, AG showed HTTPS cert is not installed, installed it, disabled/enabled AG protection, exact same result as before: The blocked ads' empty frame will not be removed, statistics don't change.

Any further ideas why that is happening?