7.1.2817 unable to browse internet using VPN

Brano

New Member
Hello
I am unable to browse the internet with ADGuard ver 7.1.2817 using VPN Secure Me. I didn't have this issue with the previous version of ADGuard 7.0.**** . Have no issue browsing without VPN, also can't import previous settings from previous version. I have uninstalled and deleted all folders and reboot and reinstalled, doesn't change. If I change settings in ADGuard it becomes unresponsive. I then have to shut it down thru task manager. How do you go back to previous version until whatever the issue is, is resolved.

Win10 1903 x64, Eset Internet Security, Spyshelter 11.8
 

Chinaski

Support Marine
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
@Brano
Hello there!

It looks like an application incompatibility issue.
Please tell me if you disable the protection of Eset - the error does not occur?
The situation is repeated in all browsers?
VPN Secure is a browser extension?
Please try to reproduce on Nightly version.
 

Brano

New Member
@Brano
Hello there!

It looks like an application incompatibility issue.
Please tell me if you disable the protection of Eset - the error does not occur?
The situation is repeated in all browsers?
VPN Secure is a browser extension?
Please try to reproduce on Nightly version.
I have tried with ESET disabled and the issue persists.
Yes the issue is on all browsers
VPN Secure I use their connection program to connect.
As I said in original post previous version worked fine.
I will try a Nightly as you have suggested.. and get back on it outcome.
 

Brano

New Member
The nightly version 7.1.2838 does not allow browsing with VPN either.
I have reinstalled version 7.0.2693.6661 and it works with VPN no issue....
 

Will

New Member
Confirmed. Even using just plain on OpenVPN :( FYI Didn't happen to me until Win10 got upgraded to 1903 today.
 

Gazelle

New Member
I have the exact same problem with vpnsecure.me. Browsing works => start VPN, issue on all browsers (i still have internet access as i can send and receive emails). Stopping the VPN does not solve the problem. Stopping Adguard protection does, but protection cannot be reactivated (~5-10 min after deactivation, a message "something went wrong" appeared). Hope this is solved soon, version 7.0 was also working for me with vpnsecure.me.
 
Top