7.4 beta 2 problems when running sandboxed

Freki123

After switching from stable to the latest beta of Adguard (7.4 beta 2) I found out that its not possible for me to run Firefox 75.0 in sandboxie (Version 5.33.3) anymore with the new "Adguard Browser Assistant Beta" add on.
The legacy assistant works still fine but the beta add on in the browser always says "Adguard is not running".

Windows 10 pro 64 bit OS Build 18363.720
FF 75.00
Sandboxie 7.33.3

Will the legacy version stay or will it be discarded in the next future?

Chinaski

Support Marine
Staff member
Administrator
Hello @Freki123
Sorry for the late reply, missed your post.
Could you describe the issue in more detail with the steps to reproduce?

ElectroStaticMop

After switching from stable to the latest beta of Adguard (7.4 beta 2) I found out that its not possible for me to run Firefox 75.0 in sandboxie (Version 5.33.3) anymore with the new "Adguard Browser Assistant Beta" add on.
The legacy assistant works still fine but the beta add on in the browser always says "Adguard is not running".

Windows 10 pro 64 bit OS Build 18363.720
FF 75.00
Sandboxie 7.33.3

Will the legacy version stay or will it be discarded in the next future?
Hello @Freki123
Sorry for the late reply, missed your post.
Could you describe the issue in more detail with the steps to reproduce?
I am having a similar issue. The issue is with the sandboxing itself. The add-on will install just fine but like Freki the add-on says that Adguard is not running because i am guessing it cannot see it within the sandbox.

The add-on can try to launch Adguard but of course it simply just loads a seperate sandboxed version of it which is unable to activate even if i close the original unsandboxed Adguard app. I then try to run a seperate sandboxed version of Adguard by right-clicking the .exe and selecting 'run sandboxed' but it does the same thing and says 'Something went wrong' and won't activate. I also tried providing direct file access (folder exclusion) to the adguard install directory but that didn't work either.

However, the program already has the ability to add application configurations for compatibility with unsandboxed programs. It has many built-in and applies them automatically to various well-known programs. It is also possible to add your own (unofficial) application configurations. It may be possible to create a custom configuration profile that would allow functionality between the add-on and the unsandboxed Adguard app.

I have added numerous screenshots to try and show the various functions / issues.

1.jpg2.jpg
3.jpg
5.jpg4.jpg8.jpg7.jpg6.jpg

Last edited:

Freki123

@Chinaski Hi thanks for your reply. Atm I got a lot of other pc problems sadly which are unrelated to this but I'm not sure how much I can reply after this post.
To reproduce would be like install Adguard 7.4 stable, install sandboxie 5.33.6.
Then I just installed the browser Assistant in the unsandboxed Firefox.
I Closed Firefox and opened it (via rightclick "run sandboxed") in the "default" sandbox from sandboxie where nearly everything is allowed. The Assistant is then greyed out and if you try to start it on any site it trys to launch the desktop Adguard inside the sandbox.
The legacy Assistant seems to work in another way and is (even in 7.4 still) no problem inside the sandbox.
When I'm done with the other problems I hope I can help further if needed.
Thanks for your time :)

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
This issue could be hard to work around. As far as I can tell, AdGuard for Windows relies on the Adguard.BrowserExtensionHost.exe executable to communicate with the Browser Assistant. When the web browser is sandboxed, how can AG for Windows communicate with the sandboxed web browser running the Browser Assistant? You'd have to "escape" the sandbox or some other voodoo magic potentially. Then again, does the AdGuard Assistant work? I'd be interested to know why that'd work in a sandbox.

I mean, I guess you could sandbox the entire AG for Windows alongside it, but I suspect that could lead to other potential issues.

Who knows, maybe there's another way, but this is me thinking out loud, so to speak.

ElectroStaticMop

This issue could be hard to work around. As far as I can tell, AdGuard for Windows relies on the Adguard.BrowserExtensionHost.exe executable to communicate with the Browser Assistant. When the web browser is sandboxed, how can AG for Windows communicate with the sandboxed web browser running the Browser Assistant? You'd have to "escape" the sandbox or some other voodoo magic potentially. Then again, does the AdGuard Assistant work? I'd be interested to know why that'd work in a sandbox.

I mean, I guess you could sandbox the entire AG for Windows alongside it, but I suspect that could lead to other potential issues.

Who knows, maybe there's another way, but this is me thinking out loud, so to speak.
It's possibile to exclude certain / processes / folders / .exe's etc as this is required for many programs that also have to interact through the sandbox barrier.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Have you tried adding Adguard.BrowserExtensionHost.exe and/or Adguard.exe and/or AdguardSvc.exe to the exclusions list to see if it works?