About Updating the application...

ShakedBenratzon

I would like to know if I need https enable to block ad on youtube website and if so do I need to hack my system or to do something special ?
Moreover I would like to know if this is safe to use on new galaxy s7 (I do not want battery drain or app crash because of this app)

Last edited:

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@ShakedBenratzon Hello! Yes, you need to enable HTTPs filtering, although I must warn that currently YouTube ads are not filtered completely, even with HTTPs filtering enabled. We continue to work on this.

To enable HTTPs filtering you should choose the respective menu item and then check the checkbox. It is safe, and will not harm your phone in any way. If you have any specific questions, please ask me or any other administrator on this forum.

ShakedBenratzon

@ShakedBenratzon Hello! Yes, you need to enable HTTPs filtering, although I must warn that currently YouTube ads are not filtered completely, even with HTTPs filtering enabled. We continue to work on this.

To enable HTTPs filtering you should choose the respective menu item and then check the checkbox. It is safe, and will not harm your phone in any way. If you have any specific questions, please ask me or any other administrator on this forum.
Ohh Thank god someone replied to me I really need your help as soon as possible:

1. I have galaxy s7 a new one just got it 3 days ago anyway I use AdGuard and I found out it is draining my battery I checked battery usage and found out it takes more than my screen (screen 26% and AdGuard 30%)
I have the default filter and settings.

2. I would like to know if it is like in the computer I have Eset Anti virus with all features will it have any conflict with AdGuard ? like in the internet check or firewall or anything else ?

3. how do I update the app itself if it is not on the app store ? for lets say 2.8 or 3 in the feature...

4. just to make sure again I do not need to root my phone or anything to turn https on ? right ? and after I will enable it will it block ad on youtube app ? because right now it does not block ad on the app.

5. I hate super strange bug with the app I turn it off cause it killed my battery and I will xplain

when I look at the main screen I see the AdBlock Number go higher and higher but at a super fast speed like super fast timer that go up and up non stop (it blocked me 100,000 ads in 2 days this can not be true it is a new phone I do not have apps open other than adguard and eset anti virus
most of the time and clash of clans

Shaked Benratzon

Last edited:

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
1. I have galaxy s7 a new one just got it 3 days ago anyway I use AdGuard and I found out it is draining my battery I checked battery usage and found out it takes more than my screen (screen 26% and AdGuard 30%)
I have the default filter and settings.
Have you read the article about battery consumption?
https://kb.adguard.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/50/7/adguard-for-android-battery-and-traffic-consumption-issues

It's just how Android counts battery usage for apps doing filtering.

2. I would like to know if it is like in the computer I have Eset Anti virus with all features will it have any conflict with AdGuard ? like in the internet check or firewall or anything else ?
Never heard of any issues with Eset on Android.

3. how do I update the app itself if it is not on the app store ? for lets say 2.8 or 3 in the feature...
Adguard updates itself automatically. When update is available Adguard will notify you about it, tap "Update" and that's all.

4. just to make sure again I do not need to root my phone or anything to turn https on ? right ? and after I will enable it will it block ad on youtube app ? because right now it does not block ad on the app.
Nope, since may Youtube in-app video ads are double-encrypted and we cannot get rid of them. AG blocks some of Youtube ads though: video promotions, part of video ads.

More than this, since Android Nougat HTTPS filtering won't work for non-browser apps anymore:
https://blog.adguard.com/en/android-nougat-release-and-what-does-it-mean-for-adguard-users/

This effectively prevents us from blocking Youtube ads:(

when I look at the main screen I see the AdBlock Number go higher and higher but at a super fast speed like super fast timer that go up and up non stop (it blocked me 100,000 ads in 2 days this can not be true it is a new phone I do not have apps open other than adguard and eset anti virus
Yep, that's bad. It means one of your apps goes mad because of ad blocking and tries requesting the blocked ad again and again. This could cause higher battery usage btw.

Could you please take a look at "apps & statistics" section and find which app does it?

For instance, we had such issue before with Play Music app, it was trying to reach google analytics all the time.

There are two possible things to help with this (until we fix it on our side):
1. Go to advanced settings and turn "dns filtering" ON.
2. Just turn the ad blocking off for the problematic app.

ShakedBenratzon

Have you read the article about battery consumption?
https://kb.adguard.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/50/7/adguard-for-android-battery-and-traffic-consumption-issues

It's just how Android counts battery usage for apps doing filtering.

Never heard of any issues with Eset on Android.

Adguard updates itself automatically. When update is available Adguard will notify you about it, tap "Update" and that's all.

Nope, since may Youtube in-app video ads are double-encrypted and we cannot get rid of them. AG blocks some of Youtube ads though: video promotions, part of video ads.

More than this, since Android Nougat HTTPS filtering won't work for non-browser apps anymore:
https://blog.adguard.com/en/android-nougat-release-and-what-does-it-mean-for-adguard-users/

This effectively prevents us from blocking Youtube ads:(

Yep, that's bad. It means one of your apps goes mad because of ad blocking and tries requesting the blocked ad again and again. This could cause higher battery usage btw.

Could you please take a look at "apps & statistics" section and find which app does it?

For instance, we had such issue before with Play Music app, it was trying to reach google analytics all the time.

There are two possible things to help with this (until we fix it on our side):
1. Go to advanced settings and turn "dns filtering" ON.
2. Just turn the ad blocking off for the problematic app.
in Android Nougat HTTPS will not work for apps but from what I understand you do not need HTTPS to block apps Ads I could block some app Ad even before I turn HTTPS on

Moreover should I keep HTTPS on ? or I do not really need it ? because I heard that it take me power and battery

P.S
Just turn the ad blocking off for the problematic app.

how do I turn off ad blocking for problematic app and how I could found which app is problematic ???

P.S.S

I think I found it the name of the app is Download Manager I think it is a System App because I did not download any download manager app

it has the highest Traffic 2.5 GB with arrow down (I think it is request for blocking)

What should I do ? and how to disable for it to happen ? is it important app ?

There is Enabled route app traffic though AdGuard on
Ad Blocking on (Block web request for ads becons and trackers
HTTPS filtering on (Decrypt secure (SLL/TLS) connections in order to block encrypted ad requests

and Firewall all on

ohh almost forgot is there anyway or any to make AdGuard run with out a Wifi ?

is it safe ? or stable ?

Last edited:

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
in Android Nougat HTTPS will not work for apps but from what I understand you do not need HTTPS to block apps Ads I could block some app Ad even before I turn HTTPS on

Moreover should I keep HTTPS on ? or I do not really need it ? because I heard that it take me power and battery
It really depends on what apps do you use and what websites you visit. For some HTTPs filtering is not so important, and especially if you mostly use browsers. If your only concern is battery drain, you shouldn't worry.

I think I found it the name of the app is Download Manager I think it is a System App because I did not download any download manager app

it has the highest Traffic 2.5 GB with arrow down (I think it is request for blocking)

What should I do ? and how to disable for it to happen ? is it important app ?
Yes, DM is a system app. But you shouldnt look at the 'down arrow'. Look at the crossed circle - that's the saved traffic and if an app has an abnormally large number there, it might be the culprit.

ohh almost forgot is there anyway or any to make AdGuard run with out a Wifi ?
If you have cellular data connection :) Without Internet there is obviously nothing to filter.