Add Anti-Adblocking methods into the software itself

AnthonyG

I am seeking this is added to adguard as a main filter or feature or something along those lines.

The amount of websites that are now saying "you cannot view here untill you turn off your adblocker" is unreal. It is making having adguard kind of pointless as it really is such a high amount of sites doing it (that I go to at least).

On googling I found this topic which is not too confidence boosting to see

https://forum.adguard.com/index.php?threads/anti-adblock-killer-userscript-breaks-websites-if-used-via-adguard-works-fine-with-tampermonkey.16535/

So I tried installing tapermonkey addon in chrome to use it. And could not get it to work.

At the moment I am using Adguard and ublock, just to use Reek in ublock but it seems a silly situation to do. I bought Adguard to do everything on one.

My thoughts are if Anti-adblocking is added to Adguard by default and runs by default it will simply work and the adguard developers will make sure to it. It wont run the risk of ruining your browsing where pages turn up blank or slowing down your whole internet and etc.

Please can you add this as a default feature to adguard.

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
It is a bit more difficult as it sounds on the paper ;)

e. g. applying anti-blockadblock script on every site can cause issues on sites which do not use it.

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
We do include special rules to our filters to circumvent anti-adblockers.

At the moment I am using Adguard and ublock, just to use Reek in ublock but it seems a silly situation to do. I bought Adguard to do everything on one.
According to this GitHub issue, the problem should be fixed already, and the Reek's userscript should work fine via Adguard. Have you tried it, and if you have, did it fail?

By the way, what Adguard version do you use atm?

AnthonyG

Yes I tried it in adguard, and it slowed down my browsing to a crawl. I have just looked and I have 6.1.312. But on checking the about page it did say there is a new version.

I will update adguard and put reek back into adguard direct and report back.

e. g. applying anti-blockadblock script on every site can cause issues on sites which do not use it.
Why not just have Reek anti-adblocking filters run as default on installing adguard and have them as default adguard filters?

But I can safely bet adding anti-adblocking features to adguard will be a lot easier than when adding HTTPS support that you did a couple of years back. As it was this what caused Admuncher to chuck in the towel as they couldn't manage it

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
@avatar @vasily_bagirov

The problem is, the development of Anti-Adblock Killer has slowed down considerably - I believe there's only been just a few updates in 8 or so months (and AFAIK, there's broken websites now with it). There's been talk it's been abandoned or development ceased, nonetheless there's been no updates to the AAK userscript or the AAK filter list since November.

IMO, I wouldn't rely on Anti-Adblock Killer as a solution for Anti-Adblock scripts anymore. As such, I don't use AAK anymore because of all the issues encountered. So I agree with the first post, perhaps something new can be done? Or at the very least add a new forum section under Filter Rules called Anti-Adblock or something like that so there's a dedicated section to this.

Maybe, just maybe you guys can fork the AAK script/filter and create something new (since it's open source)?

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Also there's an alternative to AAK now (based on AAK) called AdBlock Protector which can be found here:

https://x01x012013.github.io/AdBlockProtector/
https://github.com/X01X012013/AdBlockProtector

So there's another filter that will need to be added to Adguard's filter selection list: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/X01X012013/AdBlockProtector/master/AdBlockProtectorList.txt

EDIT: Funny, I can't add the filter to Adguard via the URL. It just endlessly tries to load the filter. Might be a bug, not sure.

gustms

EDIT: Funny, I can't add the filter to Adguard via the URL. It just endlessly tries to load the filter. Might be a bug, not sure.
Same here. Had to force close everything for it to work again, and the filter wasn't loaded.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
AdBlock Protector is better by default, since it's based on the last released version of Anti-Adblock Killer but it's actively updated.

Still can't add the filter list at all, Adguard just sticks at loading filter. Had to download the list then load it locally via the browse button, but not sure if it'll auto-update.

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Filed a bug: https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/1583

So I agree with the first post, perhaps something new can be done? Or at the very least add a new forum section under Filter Rules called Anti-Adblock or something like that so there's a dedicated section to this.
Maybe it is worth to create a separate section, I will discuss it with @Alex302.

I will update adguard and put reek back into adguard direct and report back.
Any news?

AnthonyG

This may be a further massive oversimplification of things. But the way you have made this sound is there is a universal anti-adblock script where if its universally turned on. Those sites that don't have this don't work at all.

If that is the case, why not have the anti-adblock script as a "yes/no" inside the browser extension that pops up on the bottom right of every webpage. So if you come to a website with an anti-adblocker preventing you viewing it. You can simply manually turn it on for that site alone at the click of a button.

Seems a simple way of doing it would it not?

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reek's script is not reliable, Adblock Protector is built on Reek's userscript and seems too heavy to me.

You know, it seems that to make everyone happy we should start our own anti-anti-adblocking initiative. We will soon make the first step towards it, stay tuned.