Add on in Firefox green but does not block

Discussion in 'AdGuard for Firefox' started by neven, May 19, 2018.

1. neven

neven New Member

Win XP, Firefox 52.7.2 esr

Green but no effect although working perfectly on Opera and another Firefox - PC. Both computer running Win XP. Settings exactly the same.

Adblock works on all. Have no idea...
    Thanks

2. Blaz

Blaz Moderator & Translator Moderator

Only not working on one site or all sites?

3. neven

neven New Member

Any site. Actually the concern is not adguard itself, but somehow the specific environment of that PC . Otherwise it wouldnt work on another PC under same conditions. Mozilla support doesnt contain anything on this.

4. neven

neven New Member

Works now wih 2.7.3 !!!!

5. Blaz

Blaz Moderator & Translator Moderator

That is rather an old version, current version is 2.9.2.
    @TheHasagi any idea what is broken here?

6. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Considering it's being ran on Windows XP (which Mozilla is dropping XP support officially next month) with Firefox 52 ESR (which itself will be unsupported come August), there's likely bound to be issues with the newer versions of the AG browser extension for Firefox with pre-Firefox 57 versions of Firefox. I'd recommend using Pale Moon instead of Firefox, but I think they've dropped support for Windows XP too.

I hate to be "that guy" but if you're still running Windows XP on an Internet-connected PC/device, I'd really consider either upgrading Windows (or getting a newer PC) or jumping to a Linux distribution if I were you. Windows XP is NOT secure and running it connected to the Internet is only asking for trouble, IMO.

7. neven

neven New Member

Yes, but as I wrote yesterday, there was a problem (see my first post.) Not knowing what to undetake I just tried with an older version, which now works. So I will keep it running w/o pretending to have a most recent one

8. neven

neven New Member

Dont worry, you are not considered to be "that guy"!! With many other XP related problems I was told the same by other "that guys" and am aware of it. First, my XP software packages have grown "historically" over the years, some of them more than 12 years old but working. The original distributions would for sure not run on anything above Win 7, let alone I no more have many of them. Next, I am really not keen of installing many old drivers (which probably would cause troubles) and particularly not keen to getting acquainted with the handling of those modern "tiles - OS's. This sounds old fashioned and it is indeed, but is actually quite pragmatic - at least for my purposes.
    So thank you anyway for good minded words!

9. Boo Berry

Ah, that's one reason why I keep virtual machines around (including a XP virtual machine), for apps that will no longer run (correctly) on newer versions of Windows. Also there's VM hardware passthrough for older hardware too, which works out pretty nicely.

10. TheHasagi

TheHasagi Administrator Staff Member Administrator

@neven

Hello!

Tried to reproduce the same issue, but everything is working fine.

Did you try to update filters? What sites are you visiting?

11. Trading10

Trading10 New Member

I use Waterfox on a few hundred customer systems, and a few dozen have the Adguard add-on installed. A customer of mine that purchased a new laptop, and for some unknown reason, Adguard add-on crashes during installation when it should display the options page. I have yet to get into options to change settings because the options tab crashes every time. This issue has not presented itself on any other machine - only this new HP 360 laptop. I have had no issues with installing new antivirus software (same brand used on all customer systems with no issues), MS Office, or any of the other installed applications. The behavior I see resembles an infected machine that actively blocks your attempts at installing applications such as antivirus. Home page set to fake IT scam - user gave scammer remote access to this system, so who knows what they did to it.

Still, I have found no way to change or view Adguard settings, so I could use your help.

PS. I am a paid subscriber with multiple licenses. I use Adguard for Windows on all of my own machines, and the add-on on all customer systems.

12. TheHasagi

TheHasagi Administrator Staff Member Administrator

@Trading10

Try to install it with a new private tab (incognito).

13. vasily_bagirov

vasily_bagirov Administrator Staff Member Administrator

@Trading10 you can also try to setup a new Waterfox user profile and install AG addon there. Will it crash anyway?

14. Boo Berry

Does Waterfox even support WebExtensions? As far as I know it's purposely keeping XUL/XPCOM extension support and sticking with an older Firefox (pre-57) codebase. Waterfox might be in the same boat Pale Moon is in - this is why I always recommend sticking with Firefox instead of one of the forks.

You might have to try the Firefox legacy extension.

15. Trading10

Trading10 New Member

I used Firefox with NoScript for many years until they started packing it with fake news and click bait "someone else" decided for me see (who gets to decide what news you see or don't see? Who is watching over the watchers?), while Waterfox has not gone that route - at least not so far. Not to mention Firefox developers changed the menu layout and placement of toolbar buttons, which creates a problem when trying to determine how to instruct a customer through a problem. I have found no downside to using Waterfox, and considering Firefox seems to be going against the very thing they brag about in terms of privacy. Any change is not necessarily good when it comes to Firefox. I would argue Firefox sucks for these reasons.

Adguard continues to work on hundreds of customer systems, just not this one new HP Spectre 360 laptop. McAfee removed before Waterfox was installed. I will try the suggestion to install Adguard in a Private window though I have never had to do that in years past.

16. Boo Berry

17. jessiieell

jessiieell New Member

I have the same problem even without the activation key.. it slows down my computer a lot and I dont know why

18. Boo Berry

That's sounds like a completely different issue (not related to the Firefox browser extension like this topic is about). I'd recommend opening a new topic in either the AdGuard for Windows or AdGuard for Mac or AdGuard for Android technical support forum section (pick which one you're using).