AdGuard 2.9 doesn't remove ad frames

Discussion in 'Technical Support (Adguard for Android)' started by GermanKiwi, Jul 7, 2017.

1. GermanKiwi

GermanKiwi New Member

Since I upgraded to AdGuard 2.9 a little while ago, I've found that when AdGuard blocks an ad, it leaves the ad frame in place with an annoying error saying "Web page not available" inside the frame.

You can see this in the three attached screenshots, taken from the BBC app on my phone.

Previously I was using AdGuard 2.8.76 and I'm quite certain that these ad frames were completely removed from the page when I used that version - just as they are in Chrome on my desktop, when I use AdGuard there. This is what I want and expect: that the entire frame is removed so that the page looks nice and clean.

I've also found, since upgrading to 2.9, that ads in many other apps on my phone don't get removed at all. Not even with a "Web page not available" error. The ads continue to display untouched.

What can I do to troubleshoot this?

I'm currently running AdGuard 2.9.70 on my Google Pixel XL (unrooted), using VPN mode.

Attached Files:

2. Blaz

Blaz Moderator & Translator Moderator

Please post the sites in question.

3. GermanKiwi

GermanKiwi New Member

Which sites do you mean? The screenshots are taken from the BBC news app, not from a browser site. The ad frames (containing the error message) appear on any and every page, within this app, that has had the ads blocked by AdGuard.

4. zebrum

zebrum Administrator Staff Member Administrator

@GermanKiwi Don't have ads even without Adguard on latest beta ) I'll check on 2.9.70

What filters and filtering method (settings - advanced - filtering method) are enabled?

5. GermanKiwi

GermanKiwi New Member

Not sure what you mean about not having ads without Adguard - do you mean that you don't see any ads at all in the BBC app even without using Adguard?

Note that I'm referring to the international version of the BBC app, which does use ads: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=bbc.mobile.news.ww

They also have a separate, UK-only version of their app, which doesn't use ads, but I don't have access to that app as I'm not in the UK.

I'm using Filtering Method = high-quality (but using high-speed makes no difference here). HTTPS filtering is also enabled. Using these filters:
    • English filter
    • Annoyances filter
    • German filter
    • Mobile ads filter
    • Anti-adblock Killer
    I think the filtering must be working, otherwise it wouldn't show the "Web page not available" error inside the ad frame, right? If I totally disable Adguard and restart the phone, then the BBC ads display correctly without that error message. That suggests that the filtering is working in the BBC app (although still not in some other apps I use), but the ad frames are not being removed as they used to be.

6. zebrum

zebrum Administrator Staff Member Administrator

@GermanKiwi try to clear cache in BBC app. Also check how it works in latest beta 2.9.135

I can't reproduce the issue so far.

7. GermanKiwi

GermanKiwi New Member

Hi @zebrum, I may have solved this myself by chance. I went to the App Management page in AdGuard's settings, and saw a notice there that "The firewall functionality is disabled in the settings".

That's because I turned off the "Enable firewall" setting quite a while ago, as I didn't think it was necessary for me.

I've just turned it back on, and since doing so, the ad frames in the BBC app - and other apps - no longer appear at all. So this seems to have solved the problem!

However, this leaves me a bit puzzled about what exactly the AdGuard firewall feature actually does. I had assumed that it was merely a feature for controlling whether an app can access the internet over cellular data and/or wifi data. I assumed it had nothing to do with ad filtering. But it seems I'm mistaken?

Could you give me an explanation of what the firewall feature does, and why it seems to result in the ad frames still showing when I had it turned off?

Thanks!

8. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

This might actually be a bug, we will test it

9. aegis

aegis Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Doesn't seem to work this way for me with those settings.
    @GermanKiwi still able to reproduce it? Are you sure that disabling firewall affects the issue, not anything else?

10. GermanKiwi

GermanKiwi New Member

No, for some reason I can't reproduce it now! If I disable the firewall now, the ads remain blocked, and the ad frames with the error text inside them (as reported in the OP) are not there either! So it's working as expected now. No idea why or what changed. All I know is that the firewall had been disabled before, when I first reported this issue, and then I enabled it, and the issue was immediately resolved (no more empty ad frames with error text inside).

I turned the firewall off again several days ago, have rebooted the phone since then, and have been using the BBC app and other apps daily with no ads or ad frames. Go figure!

11. GermanKiwi

GermanKiwi New Member

...I'd still love an explanation of what the firewall actually does, though. Is it just a way to block internet access to apps on WiFi and cellular data? Therefore, completely unrelated to the ad filtering functionality of Adguard?

12. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

https://kb.adguard.com/en/android/features#firewall