AdGuard 5.10 second beta version release

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
One more beta update is available: v.5.10.1194.6206

• Fixed the work of AdsBypasser userscript in Firefox
Hmmm, this is a strange one. I noticed yesterday websites in Firefox wouldn't fully load (e.g. Google News) while AdsBypasser was enabled. This seems to be resolved now. However, sometimes pages don't load at all, especially the forums here while AdsBypasser is enabled with Firefox. It's easily reproducible (I can reproduce in Firefox 35 and the latest Nightly build) - just open the forums in Firefox and click on forum sections until website loading stalls out.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
One more beta version:

Changelog for 5.10.1195.6216:
+ Added support of userscripts custom menu items (GM_registerMenuCommand function). Press Shift+Alt+M to bring up list of registered menu items (if any). Examples of userscripts with their custom menu items: Youtube Center, AdsBypasser, Anti-Adblock Killer
+ Added Vivaldi browser support
* Fixed compatibility with several userscripts: Mouseover Popup Image Viewer, Context Menu Example (только Firefox), File Hosting Download Manager Disabler
* Improved userscripts stability

Last edited by a moderator:

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
There still seems to be issues loading pages at random with Firefox when AdsBypasser is enabled. Happens with both the TDI and WFP drivers.

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

Also regarding custom menu items, wouldn't it be possible to access the custom menus via an option/link in the Assistant extension? I'm thinking that might be easier to access them (or perhaps a new extension for that?).

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There still seems to be issues loading pages at random with Firefox when AdsBypasser is enabled. Happens with both the TDI and WFP drivers.
Any website?

Also regarding custom menu items, wouldn't it be possible to access the custom menus via an option/link in the Assistant extension? I'm thinking that might be easier to access them (or perhaps a new extension for that?).
It would in future Assistant release. Hotkey is a temporary solution.

---------- Post added at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 AM ----------

I haven't found a way to fix it on our side:( In fact I don't understand what's the problem, Firefox sometimes hangs for no reason.

This bug is really simple to reproduce - it does it each time if Firebug or developer tools are open.
Maybe script author may help with fixing this bug?

streetwolf

Beta Tester
I can't seem to get rid of the AG Assistant icon no better what I try. Also, right clicking on it brings up the normal Firefox menu. I recall, I might be wrong on this, right clicking brought up an AG menu. Left clicking does bring up the AG assistant menu.

I use an add-on that lets me change the font size for any particular domain. AG Assistant uses the same font size as the page. Most of my pages are set at 120% so the AGA menu text is larger and I have some text cut off. Couldn't you set the font size to something that doesn't change with the page? I bet the built in zoom feature in Fx probably behaves the same way.

****Edit
Had to close AG and restart it to get rid of the AGA icon.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
I haven't found a way to fix it on our side:( In fact I don't understand what's the problem, Firefox sometimes hangs for no reason.

This bug is really simple to reproduce - it does it each time if Firebug or developer tools are open.
Maybe script author may help with fixing this bug?
Does it happen when using Firefox + Greasemonkey?

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I can't seem to get rid of the AG Assistant icon no better what I try. Also, right clicking on it brings up the normal Firefox menu. I recall, I might be wrong on this, right clicking brought up an AG menu. Left clicking does bring up the AG assistant menu.
This is not a bug, right-clicking on Assistant shouldn't bring up any special menu. Maybe you confused it with Adguard tray icon.

Couldn't you set the font size to something that doesn't change with the page?
We'll fix that, hopefully soon.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Does it happen when using Firefox + Greasemonkey?
Haven't checked it. Which userscripts are enabled in greasemonkey?

---------- Post added at 12:08 ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 ----------

I can't seem to get rid of the AG Assistant icon no better what I try.
What do you mean? You've disabled Assistant and the icon is still there?

---------- Post added at 12:11 ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 ----------

I use an add-on that lets me change the font size for any particular domain. AG Assistant uses the same font size as the page. Most of my pages are set at 120% so the AGA menu text is larger and I have some text cut off.
What is the name of add-on?

streetwolf

Beta Tester
My add-on is 'Default Full Zoom Level 7.5.' As I mentioned, the built in zoom feature within Firefox probably causes the same problem as it also allows one to set a domains to different zoom amounts. I use the add-on because it has some extra features

The zoom level of the page also affects the size of the AGA icon.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Build-in zoom is ok, I'll check that add-on

---------- Post added at 15:10 ---------- Previous post was at 15:06 ----------

Weird, I can't reproduce it with your add-on also.

@Boo, could you try that?

@streetwolf what version of Firefox do you use?

streetwolf

Beta Tester
Let me clarify things a bit. I use 24" monitors at 1920x1200. As a result I have to set my DPI in Windows to 125% (120 DPI) in order to comfortably read text. The default 100% (96 DPI) is to darn small.

Firefox many versions back starting using the OS DPI to display both it's chrome and content. Before this it was done independent of the OS DPI. There is now a pref in Fx that allows one to override the OS DPI, it is called layout.css.devPixelsPerPx. By default the value is -1 which means use the OS default. I don't like using the default because it will do a full page zoom (125% in my case) for everything. While this is fine for text it makes a lot of graphics blurry since many of them are still designed for 96 DPI monitors. So I set the pref to '1'. What this does is set the DPI in Fx to 100% (96 DPI). I do this in order that the icons and buttons on the chrome do not get bigger and blurry. To counter the small text that results on web pages I use the add-on to set a default of 120% for all pages which brings them back to around 120 DPI therefore more readable. The chrome is not affected. Based on the particular page I am on I change the default for that page if the text is really small. The built in Fx zoom feature while lacking some options of the add-on should act the same.

So if you aren't able to reproduce it I would try to set things up the way I have it. I think you only need to set the Pref to '1' then set zoom levels higher then 100% in the add-on or the built in Fx zoom. The higher the zoom for a page the larger the different AGA components are. I don't think you need to change the OS DPI to 125% but you might have to if using the pref alone doesn't let you see the problem.

Boy, I hope this was clear. btw... Fx version is in my Sig.

*** The AGA icon only gets bigger or smaller if you change the full page zoom amount. Changing text zoom has no affect on it. However the AGA menus do get larger with a text zoom which results in cut off text as my screenshot showed.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Wow, that is complex:)

In this case I'll set bug priority to low.

We plan to change Assistant style before v6 is out. Menu will look like the one we have in our browser add-on.
Just don't want to do the work twice.

streetwolf

Beta Tester

Forget the add-on and just use the built in Zoom feature.

Your default zoom might be set to full page zoom. Look under View on the menu toolbar and see if Zoom is 'Zoom Text Only'. If not, make it so then use the built in zoom to zoom in and see what happens to the AGA menu.

Two examples. First is set to 100% text zoom. Second to 125%.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Then it can't be fixed, zooming text only may break any layout including ours.

Why so?

streetwolf

Beta Tester
It appears that the AGA menus and icon are treated like a web page would. Zoom a page and the menu/icon is zoomed. Other menus in Fx do not get zoomed at all, they stay at my OS DPI. AGA seems to integrated into the content. Do you separate AGA from the content in v6?

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It appears that the AGA menus and icon are treated like a web page would. Zoom a page and the menu/icon is zoomed. Other menus in Fx do not get zoomed at all, they stay at my OS DPI. AGA seems to integrated into the content. Do you separate AGA from the content in v6?
That's impossible, AGA indeed works like it's integrated into the page content, that's why it is cross-browser.

If you want something better integrated with Firefox it's better to use our browser add-on instead of AGA.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Well, there you go. :p

Regarding the issue with Firefox and AdsBypasser is all the required Greasemonkey functions supported for this script to work? But then again, that'd be pretty strange as Chrome and IE would encounter this too. Hmmm, I might have to look at the source.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Trying to narrow things down. Disabling all other userscripts (extensions) other than AdsBypasser doesn't make a difference. Nor does going to the configure page for AdsBypasser and disabling all options.

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

Just to make a note here, when looking at the console in Firefox, I see entries like the following;

Code:
"AdsBypasser: does not match location on `http://forum.adguard.com/`, will try HTML content"
"AdsBypasser: does not match HTML content on `http://forum.adguard.com/`"
Along with other warnings (which probably have nothing to do with it) like;

Code:
Synchronous XMLHttpRequest on the main thread is deprecated because of its detrimental effects to the end user's experience. For more help http://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/
Using //@ to indicate sourceMappingURL pragmas is deprecated. Use //# instead
Use of getPreventDefault() is deprecated.  Use defaultPrevented instead.