Adguard 5.8 beta version release

Discussion in 'Release Notes (Beta Versions)' started by avatar, Oct 23, 2013.

1. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Dear beta-testers!

We have just released new beta-version -- Adguard 5.8.

Change log is not big. Bug fixes mostly.

We need this release for two things:
    1. Adguard 5.8 is prepared to be pushed to Windows Marketplace (as a desktop app of course).
    2. Testing improved injection algorithm. We are on the way of adding userscripts feature.

Release notes:
    --
    Regards,
    Adguard team

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2013
  2. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Yesssssssssssss! :D

What's the current setup/idea for handling userscripts? Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey-like or something else?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2013
  3. Boo Berry

Believe it or not, I can't get the Google Chrome issue I mentioned in the other thread to happen with the latest beta. I've opened tons of tabs and no issues. Odd, maybe it fixed itself? :p

4. avatar

Road map is following:

Adguard 5.8:
    Testing some new ways of injecting javascript to the web pages

Adguard 5.9:
    Our javascript (adguard assistant and popup blocker script) should be transformed to userscript.
    We will add a hidden interface for managing userscripts (not full support yet, just for testing).

Adguard 5.10 (or 6.0 maybe?):
    We will add "Plugins" module supporting userscripts installation.

5. rickyoh

rickyoh Beta Tester

sweet, sweet, sweet! you guys are awesome, global userscript support via Adguard will hopefully set a benchmark. Thank you again for taking the initiative with Adguard(talking about https support)

6. Accel

Accel Beta Tester

found some bug in settings, browser

[​IMG]

7. Boo Berry

Confirmed, those browsers are doubled.

8. Boo Berry

I'm curious, what's the technical details on why there's an incompatibility with ESET v7 so I can better understand why it happens? Apologies for being curious. :p

Excellent! What other plugins will be possible?

Also, how are userscripts going to be supported? Straight javascript injection or some type of hybrid with Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey tags/GM_ functions support? If you're worried about IE incompatibility just say userscripts are supported in IE11 and higher (they *should* work, depending on the script(s)). Are any of the ideas in the userscripts topic being considered?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2013
  9. Venky

Venky Beta Tester

Will be updating to 8.1 in the coming week.can't wait to check out the latest beta on 8.1.

Can Tor Browser be added in the default list in the next beta release?

10. avatar

Sometimes ESET closes connection before we send filtered data to browser. I hope we can fix it changing our dirver priority level.

Plugin is just any userscript. I think casual user understands words "plugin" or "extension" better than "usersccript":)

We will support GM_ functions and @tags, so this won't be straight javascript injection:).

11. avatar

No problem, we will add it.

12. Boo Berry

Really? Hmmmm. That right there nearly tempts me to switch to Bitdefender completely. :p

Yesssssssss! :D For WebKit/Blink-based browsers, some of the Tampermonkey additions might be needed for scripts to function correctly in Chrome/Maxthon/Opera/etc. (e.g. UnsafeWindow stuff). Also might be good idea to make the Plugins module updatable separate from the main program, as Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey additions/fixes could be supported pretty easily that way.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2013
  13. Boo Berry

This is fixed in the latest beta, but you need to press Reset to default to visually fix it.

14. Venky

Venky Beta Tester

thanks for the new Beta release, I can see that Tor is added as a default browser,but for some strange reason https is not filtered in Tor. WFP driver is disabled.

15. Accel

Accel Beta Tester

i am a bit confused of adguard approach about the allowed ads.

yes, ABP uses it, because google paid them to allowed a certain ads, and then ABP agrees and use a certain brief principles
    (ABP is free, i can correlate that they need money for future development but even then there was an uproar in ABP forum with loyal user of ABP, and that was what given birth to what we call ABP Edge now )

but adguard is a paid adblocker, why would adguard use the same approach? i think most user if not all, that uses adguard doesn't want to see ads and prioritizes speed

http://techcrunch.com/2013/10/07/adblock-plus-whitelist-acceptable-ads-numbers/

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  16. Boo Berry

As far as I know it's to allow Adguard to be added to the Windows Marketplace.

17. avatar

Need some time on research.

Unlike ABP, we do not get paid for this. So our white list is much smaller and our criteria for "useful" ads are very strict.

We do not talk about annoying or not annoying ads and making the world a better place and blah-blah-blah.
    We just believe that there is a very-very small part of internet ads that could really be helpful to users.

Anyway it is your call to use or not to use this feature.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2013
  18. Boo Berry

It seems to me that the block element function of the assistant seems to be more precise in Firefox than Chrome. There's some elements I can't get the assistant to highlight (e.g. some images/banners) in Chrome, but it works fine in Firefox. I can get it to happen by going to amazon.com then try blocking the credit card signup banner on the right side, mid-way down the page (###rightcolbtf2 > TABLE:nth-child(14)) - Chrome can't highlight it to block it, Firefox can. Any reason why this is?

19. Accel

Accel Beta Tester

might be api used in chrome didn't have much support as in firefox.

@avatar

hoo, if that's the reason. it's okay.. it seems your whitelist is very small. I kind of browse 400-600 sites a day and still can't find any whitelisted ads on adguard.

thx for the explanation..

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  20. Boo Berry

That's what I was thinking. If that is indeed the case, I really hope Google enhances that soon.