AdGuard 5.9 beta release

rickyoh

Beta Tester
some more observations using the verge as a general example

http://www.theverge.com/

unfiltered page; the background images are loading fine and the drop down menu(culture in this case) works

filtered page; no background images and drop down menus do not activate

Last edited by a moderator:

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
some more observations using the verge as a general example

http://www.theverge.com/

unfiltered page; the background images are loading fine and the drop down menu(culture in this case) works

filtered page; no background images and drop down menus do not activate

Cannot reproduce it. Could be the filters issue. Which filters are enabled?

---------- Post added at 13:39 ---------- Previous post was at 13:36 ----------

This Firefox extension isn't able to update with Adguard enabled: https://sites.google.com/site/sonthakit/bookmarkfaviconchanger
Could be an issue with Firefox backend SSL filtration. They are white-listed, but maybe we've missed one.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Is LastPass on the whitelist too? Because the extension you download from their site auto-updates from their servers it seems.

Venky

Beta Tester
Hi all!

We've released next beta-version.

Fixed

+ New WFP driver -- fixed issues with SSL-filtration
+ Fixed lots of Parental Control bugs

What is coming for the next beta release

- We will change the way Parental Control is set up now. It is too complex, you need to go to advanced interface every time.
So we'll add some kind of "wizard" that helps to set parental control up.

- We will change password protection. It won't be application-wide -- for Parental Control only.

- Lots of bugfixes

New beta looking good so far.

There is one thing though, At each startup I am presented with the password prompt for accessing Adguard. I have only set-up password for the application and not the Parental controls.

I do not use the Parental controls,however I do need the application wide password protection so as to stop family members from accidentally closing the application.So I would also like the application wide password protection to be present in all future version of Adguard.

rickyoh

Beta Tester
filters activated(user, russian, english, spyware, social networks widgets, experimental, german)
turns out the problem lies with a specific userscript i installed https://userscripts.org/scripts/show/30096 which brings me to a feature request, it would be very convenient(especially when troubleshooting) if there was a way to enable/disable all the extensions. also, how about checking for extension updates at the same time Adguard checks for filter updates ? having two update mechanisms(for filters and extensions) seems off to me.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
turns out the problem lies with a specific userscript i installed https://userscripts.org/scripts/show/30096 which brings me to a feature request, it would be very convenient(especially when troubleshooting) if there was a way to enable/disable all the extensions. also, how about checking for extension updates at the same time Adguard checks for filter updates ? having two update mechanisms(for filters and extensions) seems off to me.
Even three - browsing security updates are independent too.

We will fix it in Adguard 6.0.

---------- Post added at 17:55 ---------- Previous post was at 17:51 ----------

Next beta-version is ready

Changelog:

1. Password protection now works if Parental Control is enabled only
2. Password protection setting moved to Parental Control settings section
3. We have simplified Parental Control initial set up. There is a simple "wizard" when you enable it first time.
4. We have added "Settings..." button for "Ad Blocker" and "Browsing Security" tabs.

---------- Post added at 17:58 ---------- Previous post was at 17:55 ----------

I do not use the Parental controls,however I do need the application wide password protection so as to stop family members from accidentally closing the application.So I would also like the application wide password protection to be present in all future version of Adguard.
You can disable all other Parental Control features and use password protection only.

The only problem - you cannot disable filter sensitivity now - but we will fix it in the next beta-version release.

rickyoh

Beta Tester
Even three - browsing security updates are independent too.

We will fix it in Adguard 6.0.

Next beta-version is ready

Changelog:

1. Password protection now works if Parental Control is enabled only
2. Password protection setting moved to Parental Control settings section
excellent! very quick turnaround on the password feature, thank you. though we are testing 5.9 right now v6 is looking really nice right now!

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Next beta version release is ready: 5.9.1049.5335

Change log:

+ You can now disable parental control web sites filtration (select filtration level "Disabled")
+ ".scr" files added to the list of executables
- Fixed firefox addons updates checking. Not finally -- we've just whitelisted two more domains.
- Fixed random parental control enabling/disabling:)
- Fixed parental control blacklist
- Fixed kernel.org issue

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Nice! Will test various sites today!

P.S. Was the document-start support for YouTube Center added?

rickyoh

Beta Tester
- getting an interesting behaviour in maxthon searching for a term with two words in google the following is observed
still seeing this behaviour in maxthon. goes back to normal when parental control is disabled.
also with parental control enabled getting "Sorry, an error has occurred. Retrying..." message when previewing image attachments in gmail.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
still seeing this behaviour in maxthon. goes back to normal when parental control is disabled.
also with parental control enabled getting "Sorry, an error has occurred. Retrying..." message when previewing image attachments in gmail.
This bug is still open. We will fix it in the next beta release.

---------- Post added at 12:39 ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 ----------

P.S. Was the document-start support for YouTube Center added?
Not yet, we'll do some tests before. Honestly I am not sure this may help(

rickyoh

Beta Tester
This bug is still open. We will fix it in the next beta release.
oh ok, at least it's still on your radar though as Boo Berry once suggested, it would be really helpful if we were able to see open issues as changelogs can only tell so much. hope this is still being considered.

now onto parental control, some thoughts and a question:

- i've found that by using googles cached version of a webpage a person can bypass the web lock in parental control. the same can also be accomplished via web proxies. is the google cache method blockable ?

- there is no right-click menu in the whitelist/blacklist section in parental control.

- is there a list of websites that are blocked by parental control by default ?

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Not yet, we'll do some tests before. Honestly I am not sure this may help(
Hopefully it will, as YTC actually specifies to run at document-start via @run-at.

P.S. Percentage wise, how many ads can Adguard now handle? Close to 99% of ads? What can't it currently handle, if anything? I'm curious. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
- i've found that by using googles cached version of a webpage a person can bypass the web lock in parental control. the same can also be accomplished via web proxies. is the google cache method blockable ?
Not right now. Parental control does not analyze page content.

- there is no right-click menu in the whitelist/blacklist section in parental control.
We'll add it, thank you!

- is there a list of websites that are blocked by parental control by default ?
We use Web of Trust data for web sites blocking.

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

P.S. Percentage wise, how many ads can Adguard now handle? Close to 99% of ads? What can't it currently handle, if anything? I'm curious. :)
Using our current filter rules - we can block almost everything.
If something could not be blocked by CSS or content filtering we could use javascript injection rules doing with the web page whatever we want.

For example, we have some kind of battle with russian chats service - chatovod.ru.
They modify their anti-adguard script - we modify our javascript rules. And again and again.

Just look at our current chatovod rules:
Code:
! chatovod.ru - your move:)
chatovod.ru#%#window.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', function(){ $('.chatAds').css('height', '0px'); window.showNextAds = function() {} });
chatovod.ru#%#setTimeout(function() { $('.chatAds').trigger('mouseenter'); $('.chatAds').unbind('mouseleave'); }, 2000);
But some ads could not be handled even by javascript rules.
Mostly - it is ads inside flash players. They could stop working because of ad blocking.

rickyoh

Beta Tester
Not right now. Parental control does not analyze page content.
so does this mean that it will analyze content in future ?

We'll add it, thank you!
excellent

We use Web of Trust data for web sites blocking.
another question; how does parental control handle sites that are unknown to WOT ? because as i see it these sites, if undesirable, could slip through parental control because WOT does not identify them as such. i feel that a straight up whitelist would be sufficient for web site blocking; if any site is not on the white list it is blocked!

Using our current filter rules - we can block almost everything.
If something could not be blocked by CSS or content filtering we could use javascript injection rules doing with the web page whatever we want.
hopefully this includes such pesky things like this timer from stream2watch:

https://forum.adguard.com/showthread.php?539-Missed-advertisements&p=10888&viewfull=1#post10888

For example, we have some kind of battle with russian chats service - chatovod.ru.
They modify their anti-adguard script - we modify our javascript rules. And again and again.
talk about a backhanded compliment! will be watching this one.

also cannot download a file with parental control enabled. after inputting a password to allow the download to begin, it does not.