AdGuard 7.0.2693.6661 - Network Connectivity Problem

actually

Hello,

Whenever the AdGuard Base Filter is updated, perhaps others too, Firefox seems to lose connection with internet.
I then close Firefox, open task manager but can see Firefox threads still there.
I try to relaunch Firefox but it does not respond. Threads are now gone after a popup window appears stating do you wish to close Firefox because it is already running.
After 15 seconds it relaunches.

Problem is if i have a big productive browser session in progress, then a filter is updated, my browser has to be relaunched because it seems network stops, as if internet has stopped.

I guess i can just disable filter update. Anyway i wanted to voice this problem.

Windows 7 64
Firefox 67.0
AdGuard 7.0.2693.6661

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
I believe this is a known issue. Going into AG's Settings > General Settings > Advanced Settings > enable the Use redirect driver mode and see if it works around the issue.

ag_bug_finder

Beta Tester
I've had browsing stop loading also on Chrome when performing update on Adguard v7.
Pages fail to load, and then they start loading again after about 5 seconds or

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
That happens during filter updates. I think it's intended so I increased the time for filter updates to 12 hours, so it's more rare.

actually

When this happens i can wait 10 minutes and the browser just does not connect to websites. I always have to completely exit Firefox, then relaunch.

Use redirect driver mode set as enabled did not solve the problem and caused AdGuard to stop blocking ads.

I have set Filters update check period to 2 days now because closing a large Firefox session is a pain.
If this does happen to you in Firefox and you wish to save the session, do not close Firefox, go to Preferences and set Restor previous session to enabled. Then exit and relaunch Firefox. At least then you can recover your browser session.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Guys, this is the main issue of the v7.0 release, and it will be addressed in the first patch we're going to release this month.

The problem is that when AG reloads configuration (for instance, when filters are updated, or when you change anything in the filters settings), it completely restarts filtering on the network level causing all active connections to close. We will change the algorithm - we must not close active connections unless any driver-related setting is changed.

nadav

I've also encountered this problem. (Win7 x64, FF 52.9.0)
I uninstalled Ver 7 and reinstalled 6.4.
Now all my settings have been reset and I get an error about settings restore.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Likely because settings changed in v7 and it's not backwards compatible with v6.4. If you're going to downgrade, do a clean install.

nadav

Likely because settings changed in v7 and it's not backwards compatible with v6.4. If you're going to downgrade, do a clean install.
The upgrade was an accident. I clicked "Update" instead of "Cancel" on the upgrade notice.
Is there an option to "downgrade" the settings?

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Like I said, settings (and the files/database(s) where they're stored) are likely not backwards compatible, hence why doing a clean install if downgrading is likely best. At least, that's my guess.

nadav

Like I said, settings (and the files/database(s) where they're stored) are likely not backwards compatible, hence why doing a clean install if downgrading is likely best. At least, that's my guess.
Doesn't the upgrade save a copy somewhere?

Chinaski

Support Marine
Staff member
Administrator
@nadav

Unfortunately, if you do not export the settings in advance you will not be able to return them.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
In the meantime the way I've found to avoid the issue is setting filters update interval to like every 12 or so hours - after doing that I haven't encountered that issue since.