AdGuard 7.0.2693.6661 - Network Connectivity Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Support (AdGuard for Windows)' started by actually, Jun 3, 2019.

1. The Grouchybeast

The Grouchybeast New Member

Is there an ETA for a fix for this?

I'm having the same problem with Opera, Firefox and Chome, in Win7 . If I have Adguard running I lose all connectivity. I also have to reboot, as closing the browsers leaves unkillable processes in Task Manager that stops them from relaunching. Setting the filter update interval to 2 days hasn't made any difference.

2. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Sometime this month is what @avatar said. A fix hasn't landed in the nightly channel yet, but I'll bump this topic once it has.

3. The Grouchybeast

@Boo Berry Thanks! I might have to look at downgrading to the previous version, then. It's kind of a shock to see how many ads there are out there!

Supersnake likes this.
  4. Phonemes

Phonemes Member

I am experiencing the same problem and I tried making it less of a pain by setting Adguard to check for filter updates once every 24 hours. To my dismay I kept having the problem several times a day and I found out that the program doesn't respect the 24 hour update check setting. It keeps checking for updates much more regularly than that. Anyone else seeing this?

5. actually

actually New Member

Yes @Phonemes i have the same problem. I set mine to 2 day update period, yet it has checked it at 22 hours, 1 day 7 hours, and other premature times. - Then i have to relaunch browser or other networked applications.

@The Grouchybeast Sorry to hear you have to resort to restarting your computer, that must be irritating. It is strange Task Manager is not able to close the applications. Do you try and close applications in the Processes tab of Task Manager? It should work, make sure you select End Process Tree. If you still have to restart then sorry, i do not know.

I have chose to not change to AdGuard 6.4, because i do not want to risk running into more problems, then potentially more problems when updating to the new version expected this month.

I expect a fix soon, since i did pay for this software. Regardless, those atrocious ads are still being blocked, at least for me, so it is not too bad.

6. Boo Berry

Try 12 hours. Since setting it to 12 hours I haven't encountered this issue.

NOTE: I also went to AG's Settings > General Settings > Advanced Settings and checked/enabled Use redirect driver mode and I haven't had this issue since. Plus I do manual filter updates when I'm not doing everything every few hours.

7. The Grouchybeast

@actually Yes, I use End Process Tree. There's always a single process left that won't close, even if I'm working as an administrator, and the only way to get rid of it is to reboot.

@Boo Berry I did set it to 12 hours at first, and that didn't help either. I've switched on Use Redirect Driver Mode now, though, and so far I'm not getting the issue. Fingers crossed!

ETA: Worked okay for a few hours, and then I suddenly lost connectivity again.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  8. Supersnake

Supersnake New Member

AdGuard 7.0.2693.6661 is too buggy to be used on Chrome and Firefox.

Problem #1: Waiting for local.adguard.org appears and hangs my browser to the point of timing out my attempted connection. I spoke to AdGuard phone support and was advised to uncheck Use local host for injections. Doing so caused a different problem, see Problem #2

Problem #2: After unchecking Use local host for injections my browser freezes and times out just like before but this time Establishing secure connection appears during the freeze and subsequent timing out. I spoke again to AdGuard phone support and was advised go to General Settings > Network > and set WFP network driver to ON. I did so, and the problem remains.

Request:
    Please instruct me how to roll back to the previous version. Version 7 is unusable in its present state.

Thank you!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    Kruner likes this.
  9. Chinaski

Chinaski Support Marine Staff Member Administrator Moderator

So try to upgrade to the Nightly version.
    Waiting for your feedback. :)

10. Boo Berry

The FF connection issue should be fixed in the latest nightly build now.

11. The Grouchybeast

@Chinaski

Hi! Sorry for the delay. I updated to the nightly build (7.0.2807.0), including rebooting after installing, and the issue with lost connectivity in Firefox and Opera immediately came back. I disabled Adguard, and Opera and FF started working again. So for me at least the new build didn't fix my problem.

Supersnake likes this.
  12. Supersnake

Supersnake New Member

Thank you for your recommendation Chinaski. I wanted to use the Nightly for a full three days before getting back to you.

I uninstalled 7.0.2693.6661 then installed the Nightly 7.0.2807.0 and have been running it with default settings.

The Good: No more Waiting for local.adguard.org on Firefox and Chrome when using the Nightly.
    The Bad: Establishing secure connection website freezes and time outs are continuing on FireFox and Chrome when using the Nightly.

Sometimes the Establishing secure connection website freezes and timeouts will not appear for 2 or 3 hours of surfing, and sometimes the Establishing secure connection website freezes and timeouts will appear after 30 minutes or less surfing time when using the Nightly.

> When the Establishing secure connection website freezes and timeouts happen, I have to Disable AdGuard Protection to connect to the website.
    > When I Disable AdGuard Protection the problem goes away instantly and the ads of course start appearing again.
    > If I wait too long to Disable Protection I get a "Unable to connect to website timed out error".

So this has been what has been going on for the past three days and it is frustrating and annoying to have to be always disabling and enabling AdGuard protection. :(

Summary:
    Version 7.0.2693.6661 is unusable in its present state.
    Nightly 7.0.2807.0 I always have to be disabling and enabling AdGuard protection and this makes it too frustrating to use.

Request:
    Please instruct me how to roll back to the 6.4 version.
    Thank you!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  13. Boo Berry

Under AG's Settings > General Settings what do you have the Filter update check period set to? If it's like every hour (or 3 hours), you can still encounter an issue with Firefox. I recommend setting this to 12 hours and see what happens.

14. Supersnake

Supersnake New Member

Thought you should know that I use Chrome 99.9% of the time and rarely use FireFox.
    My Filter update check period was set to the AdGuard default 6 hours. Per your recommendation I changed it to 12 hours. Will see if that helps.
    Thanks Boo Berry

15. Boo Berry

Are you using any kind of antivirus/antimalware software? If so, what?

16. Supersnake

Supersnake New Member

I am using ESET NOD 32 Antivirus

It's 3:30 AM where I am now, have to sleep. Will post a status update tomorrow :)

17. PremiumUser

PremiumUser New Member

Having the same issue with Pale Moon browser. Asked German support for help but they don't know anything about it – maybe they should read this forum. ;)
    Just reverted back to version 6.4
    – Using Win 7 64bit and Pale Moon 28.5.2
    – No antivirus software at the moment, uninstalled BitDefender because of this AdGuard issue.

18. Phonemes

Phonemes Member

Again two stalled downloads because Adguard decided to check for updates, although no filter lists were actually updated. All Adguard did was check. This happens with Firefox on Windows 7 64 bit. Antivirus is F-Secure. This is such a pain, why is it not fixed sooner?

PS: Forgot to tell that I am running the nightly that was made available a few days ago.

19. Boo Berry

@Chinaski I guess both ESET/NOD32 and F-Secure need to be tested for incompatibilities.

Why they're not fixed sooner, is simply because they're not easy to fix. I suspect some of this is antivirus incompatibilities and that takes time to reproduce and figure out how to get it working correctly.

One thing you can try is going into AG's Advanced Settings and unchecking Use localhost for injections as some AVs (like Sophos) will cause issues with AG for Windows if this is enabled. Or you can try disabling the WFP driver and see if the issues go away (if so, that more-or-less confirms a AV incompatibility).

20. ag_bug_finder

ag_bug_finder Beta Tester