Adguard 7.4.1 + new browser extension: user filters don't work (SOLVED)

dg1974it

Hi.
I've been using Adguard for years, initially only with the browser extension, then I purchased the lifetime licence for the Windows app.
untill 4-5 month ago, the Windows app and the browser extension (now it's the "old" one) worked fine togheter (the browser extension icon were correctly blue), and when I used to add a custom filter the Windows application notified me of the new filter and any browser I used (Chrome, Firefox) was correctly filtering the web pages I visited.
But since then the browser extension stopped working with the Windows app (the icon were the standard green one). Whenever I added a filter in the Windows app the browser (Chrome or Firefox) seemed unaffected.

Then the latest version of Adguard for Windows was released (currently 7.4.1), I installed it, installed the new browser extension and... same issue.
The browser extension does "see" the Windows app, and when I add a custom filter I get the notification of the new filter been added to the application, but only the page I am currently whatching is affected.
I just need to press F5 to find that no custom filter is applied.
I still have to use the old browser extension and I have to add the filter to the extension, not to the application.

Example:
URL:
https://www.hwupgrade.it/forum/index.php
filter:
hwupgrade.it###header
hwupgrade.it###header-upper

So, If I had to use the old (and still free) browser extension, what's the purpose of the Windows app that currently doesn't filter anything?

PS: in the Windows app, all statistics after the update to 7.4.x report 0: 0 ads, 0 trackers, 0 threats

Chinaski

Quality Assurance
Staff member
Administrator
Hello there!

Specify whether you are using a third-party antivirus, VPN, or other browser extensions?
Have you tried to reinstall the application?

Also, you should check the hosts file.
Press Windows+R on your keyboard. When the Run window opens, type in the following command: %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and press OK or Enter
Windows will display a prompt asking you what program should be used to open the file. Select Notepad and press OK
If your hosts file contains these records, please delete them and press Ctrl+S to save the file:
127.0.0.1 api.adguard.com
127.0.0.1 api-b.adguard.com
127.0.0.1 api-c.adguard.com
127.0.0.1 api-d.adguard.com
Close Notepad, reboot your PC and check if the issue persists;

dg1974it

Hello there!

Specify whether you are using a third-party antivirus, VPN, or other browser extensions?
Have you tried to reinstall the application?

Also, you should check the hosts file.
Press Windows+R on your keyboard. When the Run window opens, type in the following command: %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and press OK or Enter
Windows will display a prompt asking you what program should be used to open the file. Select Notepad and press OK
If your hosts file contains these records, please delete them and press Ctrl+S to save the file:
127.0.0.1 api.adguard.com
127.0.0.1 api-b.adguard.com
127.0.0.1 api-c.adguard.com
127.0.0.1 api-d.adguard.com
Close Notepad, reboot your PC and check if the issue persists;
hello!
I'm not using VPN, I'm using third-party antivirus (Bitdefender Total Security and Malwarebytes, both running for (at least) two years with Adguard for Windows without issues), and of course I'm using other browser extension (Lastpass, Facebook Purity, and so on).

my hosts file is clean (no entry).

currently it doesnt' even start.
I just booted my personal PC where the Adguard for Windows is installed and in the system tray the icon has a "!" on it. If I point my mouse over it the popup says "Protection disabled".
I'm trying to open the application but doesn't work.
no error, no messages, nothing.
I'll try to reinstall the application.

dg1974it

It would be better if you reinstall the AdGuard app using this utility.
Also, you should scan your system by sfc /scannow

Please report the result.
thank you so much!
I just:
1) unistalled the app (standard way) choosing to also delete all settings
2) rebooted
3) unistalled the app with the reported utility
4) rebooted
5) in a cmd as administrator, sfc /scannow reported and fixed some issues
6) rebooted
7) reinstalled the application

now everything is fine!
I just imported my custom filters list in the application, disabled the old browser extension, and it worked! also the statistics are now updated in the app!

thanks again!

dg1974it

sorry, but the problem I reported is still here.
I've just updated to version 7.4.2 and now again looks like there is no "comunication" between the browser extension (even if it says that the Windows app IS installed) and the Windows app.
so there's something broken.

I'll try one again to reinstall the application, but... this shouldn't be the "standard" way to have it working...

dg1974it

sorry, but the problem I reported is still here.
I've just updated to version 7.4.2 and now again looks like there is no "comunication" between the browser extension (even if it says that the Windows app IS installed) and the Windows app.
so there's something broken.

I'll try one again to reinstall the application, but... this shouldn't be the "standard" way to have it working...
ok, unistalled, then unistalled with the utility, rebooted, then reinstalled.
now it works again.
I hope it's the last time I had to do this procedure.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
If I had to guess, it could be encountering an incompatibility with Bitdefender and/or Malwarebytes. There has been incompatibility issues with both and AdGuard for Windows in the recent past.

If it happens again, you could try a couple different things... 1) uncheck the Use WFP network driver setting in AG's Settings > Network section, 2) in AG's advanced settings (AG's Settings > General Settings, scroll down to Advanced settings) toggle the Use redirect driver mode and/or the Filter localhost options and see if that helps any.

dg1974it

If I had to guess, it could be encountering an incompatibility with Bitdefender and/or Malwarebytes. There has been incompatibility issues with both and AdGuard for Windows in the recent past.

If it happens again, you could try a couple different things... 1) uncheck the Use WFP network driver setting in AG's Settings > Network section, 2) in AG's advanced settings (AG's Settings > General Settings, scroll down to Advanced settings) toggle the Use redirect driver mode and/or the Filter localhost options and see if that helps any.
thanks for the reply.
If it happens again I'll try as suggested.
I've used Bitdefender+Malwarebytes+Adguard for Windows for the last couple of years, and till 3 month ago I never had issues with Adguard for Windows, and till 7.4.x I never had issues with Adguard updates (the update from 7.3.x to 7.4.x went bad and I had to update it manually).
lets see in the coming days.

Teddy

This is the only thing that worked for me.