AdGuard + AdGuard AdBlocker?

Discussion in 'Technical Support (AdGuard for Windows)' started by Royale, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Royale

Royale New Member

I've been using the Adguard AdBlocker browser extension for awhile now until recently I downloaded and purchased Adguard for Windows and I'm wondering if I'm benefiting in any way using both or would disabling the extension (likely freeing up computer resources) yield the same end result? Thanks!

2. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

The only benefit to use the browser extensions in addition to Adguard for Windows is as a replacement for the Adguard Assistant. The browser extensions will detect whether Adguard for Windows (or Mac) is installed and running and will disable its built-in filtering in favor of the main program's filtering thus resulting in the browser extension's icon turning blue. When it does this you can block ads with the browser extensions and rules will automatically be added to Adguard for Windows to use.

But if you use the Adguard Assistant then you may not want to use the browser extensions. It's up to you. :)

3. Royale

Royale New Member

Thanks for the timely response, I've decided to remove the extension based on your analogy.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2015
  4. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

You're quite welcome. :) There's also one other thing to consider, there's some websites where the Adguard Assistant may be disabled by design (to prevent a site from breaking) where having the browser extension can come in handy too for create ad-blocking rules. Though, such sites seem to be pretty few and far between. Personally, I don't currently use the browser extensions in addition to Adguard for Windows.

5. Akshay

Akshay Beta Tester

"The browser extensions will detect whether Adguard for Windows (or Mac) is installed and running and will disable its built-in filtering in favor of the main program's filtering thus resulting in the browser extension's icon turning blue."

I have both ext and main programme but still the ext'n icon is green. Why not Blue ?

also the icon shows readind "all ". why ?

6. vasily_bagirov

vasily_bagirov Administrator Staff Member Administrator

'All' is always shown on the extension icon when the main program is also running, instead of number of blocked ads on a particular page.

But the green color is strange. What OS do you use and what browsers does this happen in?

7. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Maybe old version of extension? Should be blue icon in 1.0.3.8

8. kamkarooo

kamkarooo New Member

I have both ext and main programme but still the ext'n icon is green. Why not Blue ?

9. vasily_bagirov

vasily_bagirov Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hi! What versions of extension, program and browser do use? Are you sure you have program's protection enabled?