AdGuard and Gigabit Internet - Drastic Speed Reduction

mbezzo

Beta Tester
Hello,
I'm lucky enough to have 1Gb symmetrical fiber and AdGuard seems to cut my internet speeds nearly in half.

I'm sure there's a decent amount of overhead when processing all that data coming in, but wondering if this is a "normal" amount or if it seem excessive? I'm running Adguard on a Mac mini Server with quad core i7 and 16GB of RAM with an SSD - I hope that would be enough horsepower?

Thanks,
Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I really envy you:)

The problem is that we cannot test it on our side, even LAN here is 100mbps.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Could you please tell me a bit more about AG configuration? Do you use it as a proxy server?

Do you see this speed reduction when it is used in usual filtering mode?

mbezzo

Beta Tester
Hi,
I'm not using it as a proxy - it's just enabled with the usual filtering mode - happy to send any configs/logs that'll help.

Thanks,
Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ah, it's just the word "Server" confused me.

Do you use speedtest to measure the speed?

@stillness do you have any idea how can we test it on our side? Local nginx + large file download maybe?

mbezzo

Beta Tester
I've tried several speed tests (online) - the one from my provider (CenturyLink) and speedtest.net, and speedsmart.net - all show similar reductions in speed when Adguard is on and running. These are of course run through the browser so maybe it's the browser-specific component causing the reduction? Any way you know of to test WAN speeds not using a browser?

As for testing on your side - maybe host a large file on a gigabit connected web server, use a browser on the client machine and download? I think that'd make it pass through Adguard, right?

Thanks!

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
These are of course run through the browser so maybe it's the browser-specific component causing the reduction?
Adguard filters only your browsers' traffic, so other applications aren't affected anyway.

Any way you know of to test WAN speeds not using a browser?
Torrent is a good test, choose anything popular with lots of seeds.

Bruno

I have 1Gb on optical fiber and no issue on my side. I even use ESET CSP with firewall and OpenDNS.