ADGUARD and WOT

Gass

EDIT:
Will I see Adguard is listening to it's users and the news by offering this statement-

Today's news are very disappointing for us, the original Web of Trust extension was removed from addons.mozilla.org and next week we will decide what shall we do with our Web of Trust extension in Adguard.
https://blog.adguard.com/en/official-statement-on-web-of-trust-case/
EDIT:#2
Just trying to keep up with the news here

You can disable it in "settings"-"extensions", shouldn't be a problem. Also since the next version it will be disabled by default.

Btw, here's their official answer:
https://www.mywot.com/en/forum/70818-to-the-wot-community
As for SOME REASON ?

Adguard TEAM Forum MEMBERS are blowing over this here THREAD and have since stopped commenting here! And this was the Original Topic and Thread started concerning Adguard and WOT.

Gass :D

Last edited:

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
If you're using the latest beta and have the latest WOT extension update, it looks you can remove it now.

Gass

@Boo Berry
That's sure is welcoming News - Sir :)
After the latest WOT extension update today, I was actually able to remove it. Though there's no way it looks like to add it back if desired (I'm sure that's coming).
EDIT: how do you remove WOT and does it reflect in the Adguard install directory?

Also from your links I find this-
For all new installations it should be disabled by default.
We didn't do it for existing installations though, it would be a bit weird.
I for one wish WOT is removed completely. It doesn't have a sense to have it there but disabled. You stayed at the halfway. People don't use Adgurad because of WOT. The power of Adguard is elsewhere.
Hm, I don't know why I didn't think about it in the first place. WOT removal should be allowed indeed.
Reopened the issue:
https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/1364#issuecomment-259455868
MR. Boo Berry would you know when the next stable release of Adguard for windows is due?
Also I had thought W O T can be disabled in current AG stable builds by removing the check mark next to it already, and if they (stables) as the latest one I have and have removed the check mark.
Would this be cause I might of received the latest WOT extension update.

Do you know - will the next stable AG version (next to come down the pike-v6.1.281.1494) be an Adguard without WOT completely?
Nonexistent at all in Adguard, not just defaulting to the disabled mode?
Gass

Last edited:

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
EDIT: how do you remove WOT and does it reflect in the Adguard install directory?
Right here: http://screencast.com/t/1jJUHUWn3tI

It will not visibly be reflected in Adguard install directory, as all changes are done to the database.

Also I had thought W O T can be disabled in current AG stable builds by removing the check mark next to it already, and if they (stables) as the latest one I have and have removed the check mark.
Unchecking it would only disable the extension, but not delete it.

Do you know - will the next stable AG version (next to come down the pike-v6.1.281.1494) be an Adguard without WOT completely?
I am not the one in charge, but the answer is more likely 'no' than 'yes', otherwise it would be probably removed in the latest update.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Plus WOT is disabled by default with new Adguard for Windows installations starting with the next stable update. In addition, you can go one step further and fully remove the WOT extension now if desired.

IMO, that's the best way of handling the WOT situation. Those who want to use WOT still can - those who don't can disable it/leave it disabled and/or fully remove the extension altogether.

Gass

Right here: http://screencast.com/t/1jJUHUWn3tI
It will not visibly be reflected in Adguard install directory, as all changes are done to the database.
Unchecking it would only disable the extension, but not delete it.
Thanks for your help and answers Vasily :)
Just to add - in stable version Adguard 6.1.258.1302 the option to uninstall WOT user script was found and applied by myself.
@Serge Rosenthaler this update you spoke of must be why I was able to remove the WOT extension.
@Adguard Team thanks for being proactive in bring quick resolutions to problems as they arrive and/or found be it in Beta builds or Stable releases. ;)
Thanks,
Gass

Last edited:

Gass

I got rid of WOT also.
Useless for me...
And as it's been reported if not dangerous to one's privacy at least a nuisance (which depends on how you view your own PRIVACY),
besides WOT was making a profit from it's users in their using of .... Did I say with no OPT OUT mechanism !
Gass

Gass

Plus WOT is disabled by default with new Adguard for Windows installations starting with the next stable update. In addition, you can go one step further and fully remove the WOT extension now if desired.

IMO, that's the best way of handling the WOT situation. Those who want to use WOT still can - those who don't can disable it/leave it disabled and/or fully remove the extension altogether.
Thanks for your help and answers Vasily :)
Just to add - in stable version Adguard 6.1.258.1302 the option to uninstall WOT user script was found and applied by myself.
@Serge Rosenthaler this update you spoke of must be why I was able to remove the WOT extension.
@Adguard Team thanks for being proactive in bring quick resolutions to problems as they arrive and/or found be it in Beta builds or Stable releases. ;)
Thanks,
Gass
Adguard program update is working much better than in previous versions and with the release of the Stable 6.1.298.1564 - in which I had removed the WOT Extension from Adguard 6.1.258.1302 with the option in it to uninstall WOT user script, CARRIES OVER NICELY TO THE NEW STABLE 6.1.298.1564
with no sign of the W O T extension anymore... Yea ADGUARD TOTALLY FREE OF W O T :) Rock On Adguard !

Last edited by a moderator: