Adguard Anti-Adblock Defuser

Discussion in 'Feature Requests (AdGuard for Windows)' started by ezekial52787, Dec 14, 2017.

1. ezekial52787

ezekial52787 New Member

I would like to suggest that Adguard develop their own Anti-Adblock Defuser, as the AAK list is already phased out and unmaintained and the AAK-CONT list is soon to be unmaintained, but there is a new defuser coming out. Unfortunately this new defuser, which was supposed to be Adblock Protector 2, is now focusing on some adblocker called "Nano Adblocker" and uBlock origin. Further more, most anti-adblock de-fuser userscripts or add-ons don't even recognize when you are using Adguard, and thus do not really work. Therefore, I propose that Adguard develops it's own anti-adblock de-fuser and accompanying list, which will be maintained by adguard, and henceforth be always up to date and defending against those evil anti-adblockers. I already put this in as a feature request as well, through the app, but I thought it would be good to post it here, as well, so as to be able to discuss the idea.

2. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

3. ezekial52787

ezekial52787 New Member

true, but it would be much simpler, and less hassle, if Adguard were to just handle it all itself, and it would provide much more user satisfaction, imo.

4. d0x

d0x New Member

Yea i agree, it shouldnt be a filter we select it should just be something the program does all the time. That way you remove confusion from users who dont have the skill level or understanding to properly manage the filter list. A good example is my father. I installed the program for him and he was looking at it and got to the filters and had no idea what anything really meant and didnt know if he should check everything or just leave it as is.

If it was just a feature of the program and not a filter that is selected it would be beneficial to everyone, especially if certain filters are being abandoned. The Adguard team can keep track of new lists and add them to the base program much more easily than a user can (or would want to) so I think this would be a really REALLY good idea thats also easy to implement for the team

ezekial52787 likes this.
  5. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

There isn't a "global anti-adblock" diffuser though, so having an "anti-anti-adblock" feature isn't possible - there's simply too many anti-adblock schemes available with more appearing as time passes by. Also worth pointing out that AdGuard already handles anti-adblock messages/scripts within the filter lists themselves. Otherwise, like I said having an "anti-anti-adblock" type of feature isn't possible.

What is possible is if users report websites running anti-adblock messages and scripts via the reporting tool so the filter devs can fix them within the filters themselves.

ezekial52787 likes this.
  6. d0x

d0x New Member

We know there isn't but the developers could just automatically select the best active filters and hide that aspect from the user.

That way the user can have a sense that they automatically have that protection but they don't have to figure out which lists are actually active.

I'm assuming the adguard team would know which lists are the best more than the average user of the program so taking it out of our hands would benefit everyone.

ezekial52787 likes this.
  7. vasily_bagirov

vasily_bagirov Administrator Staff Member Administrator

This topic is very slippery anyway, european laws still don't really allow to bypass anti-adblockers.

ezekial52787 likes this.
  8. ezekial52787

ezekial52787 New Member

I get what you are saying, it's very difficult to keep up with the numerous number of anti-adblock methods that are appearing very quickly, but having a dedicated team towards finding the new methods would be massively more efficient than just hoping that the users will come upon them, and then more so hoping that they will take the time to report it to adguard. Doing it this way would produce better results and gain more user satisfaction. I also get that some of this is already handled in one of the default adguard filters, but, again, the team that handles "that" isn't specifically looking for anti-adblockers, but rather ads in general. Is that a misunderstanding I have? One extra anti-adblock defuser filter would enable better management of the filters and help the team to focus on normal ads as opposed to also having to handle anti-adblockers as well. In addition, you would still have people that do report anti-adblockers. A global anti-adblock difuser is not what I am asking for either, but rather just a list and a team of however many you want dealing with managing blocking anti-adblockers. Perhaps someone who has the most experience in deal with these, and who knows the most about them dedicating himself to research on how to better manage and or block anti-adblockers. This person could perhaps, if possible, in part, study the code of past and current anti-adblockers, as well as how adguard and other adblockers handle these anti-adblockers. For instance, the creator of nano adblocker said himself that he chose to have his adblock protector "Nano Defender" focus on "Nano Adblocker" and "Ublock" because they supposedly handle anti-adblockers better. Furthermore, if you take the code used to build the now defunct ANti-adblock killer cont, then could you learn from it? Or maybe you could build a adguard feature that handles anti-adblockers in a similar way to how Malwarebytes anti-malware handles day 1 malware or how it also automatically protects against potential leaks that normal anti-viruses can't do. Study how to apply anti-malware protection to anti-adblock defusers and adblocking in general. I don't mean the browser security either, but rather building off of an open source zero day malware blocking engine and if possible, then convert the code, where necessary, to apply to anti-adblockers and ads in general. One example I can think of is perhaps apply HIPS detection and write the code to point it toward seeking the signs that anti-adblockers give and like that it could automatically block them. Another one could be building a script that does similar to that of a pop-up/pop-under/tab switcher blocker, where instead of building a whole list, it runs an algorithm that watches for signs of anti-adblockers and blocks them. You could instead apply the script to adguard for windows code executes at windows level, in case that the script only blocks the anti-adblocker AFTER it is seen, but at the windows level it could be written to to detect it as it is attempting to execute. This is all conjecture really, ideas, you know? Hopefully it helps, but I am not a code writer after all, so don't take what I say as fact :p. Is such a feature already handled within the adguard code itself? would such a feature/features make adguard to heavy that it would be unreasonable to implement? My whole point of this is just that imo depending upon user reporting to discover new anti-adblockers and the teams looking for various ads does not seem like efficient handling of the situation, but I digress, I am not a business student, nor do I have a degree in business studies, so I apologize if I am just talking out of my butt.

I think that's not "completely" applicable to what I actually meant, but something along the lines of it. Probably due to my bad wording. Hiding the filters isn't what I had in mind, as it would not increase the productivity of finding new anti-adblockers. We need to select the filters, but not be so depended upon for finding the new ones that come up and are not blocked. Of course those who wish to report such anti-adblockers would still be encouraged to do so, but, I don't think it needs to be the first defense against new ones, as it seems to be now. I have had it happen several times, and upon posting about it, then I am almost immediately told that I need to report it, so that it can be automatically blocked. A better use of reporting my be to help study the behavior of the new anti-adblocker in addition to getting the anti-adblocker auto-blocked. Is this something already being done? does the adguard team study the behaviors of ads and anti-adblockers, pop-ups, pop-unders, tab switchers, etc etc....

9. ezekial52787

ezekial52787 New Member

There's already a list that specifically handles anti-adblockers that use european laws to remove them from adblock lists, So I don't think that's of concern.