AdGuard app and Cliqz browser

Tribulatio

As mentioned in another post, I am new to AdGuard: I have been testing it for three days on my Mac. I have downloaded and installed the app

Today, I have only opened Cliqz browser. I have noticed something puzzling: while with other browsers I do constantly see an increase in the number of ads and trackers being blocked (more than 14,000 trackers blocked in two days with Chrome and Firefox), today there has not been a single tracker or ad blocked. Not even one...

What does it mean (again, I am not yet very familiar with the way AdGuard works):

1) AdGuard does not see what happens with Cliqz, and thus cannot have any control of impact on it?

2) Cliqz does such a good job by itself before Cliqz can do anything that somebody using Cliqz browser does not need AdGuard?

I thank you in advance for clarifications / explanations.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Same thing here as with Opera Neon and my newest reply applies to Cliqz browser too - it's not included in AG for Mac's default filtered applications list, so for the time being just manually add it to the filtered applications list (like with Opera Neon). I'll also post this to the GitHub tracker to request Cliqz browser to be added to the default filtered applications list.

https://forum.adguard.com/index.php?threads/still-no-support-for-opera-neon.27845/#post-163926

Tribulatio

Excellent! Thank you very much. Added.

Interestingly, while I do now see trackers being blocked, still Cliqz seems to have less of them than other browsers. But I have to use it longer for being able to compare.

I should say that Cliqz is a quite attractive browser. It is fast, doesn't freeze like some other secure browsers. Pleasant to use.

Tribulatio

I have just bought a lifetime license for my main Mac: AdGuard is really worth it. I may buy it for my other Macs, if my use is convincing enough.

However, coming back to Cliqz, there seems to be a compatibility issue. Once I add Cliqz to the list of apps, access to most sites I attempt to visit is denied, with the claim the the security certificate is not configured properly. I can add exceptions for some, but not all. Hilariouly, Google is no longer accessible (security certificate not configured properly, the warning claims...) and no exception can be added.

As soon as I uncheck Cliqz from the AdGuard preferences list, I can access all blocked websites again.

Obviously, there is an issue in the interaction between AdGuard and Cliqz. Could you please test it and consider a solution? Thank you!

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
You might try rebooting the Mac and see if AG for Mac installs the certificate needed for HTTPS filtering. If that doesn't work, it might be another issue with that browser (honestly, I've never heard of that browser until now) and something the AG devs will need to add support for in AG for Mac.

Tribulatio

You might try rebooting the Mac and see if AG for Mac installs the certificate needed for HTTPS filtering. If that doesn't work, it might be another issue with that browser (honestly, I've never heard of that browser until now) and something the AG devs will need to add support for in AG for Mac.
Thank you very much. I have reactivated Cliqz in the list of apps in the preferences, rebooted my Mac, but it does not solve the issue: all sites are blocked due to allegedly invalid security certificates (including AdGuard, by the way, or Bing). As soon as I uncheck Cliqz in the list, it comes back to normal.

OK, for the time being, I will use that browser without AdGuard. It would be a good idea to pay attention to it, however: it seems to be (modestly) gaining in popularity, for instance in Germany, and it looks like an attractive option, I can say after using it intensively for 2 or 3 days.

(FYI: Cliqz bought Ghostery last year.)

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Oh, I see now. Cliqz is based on Firefox so it likely uses its own certificate store and thus needs the AG certificate to be manually imported currently until AG for Mac adds support for it.

I'll test this in a couple minutes and see if I can get it working.

Tribulatio

Oh, I see now. Cliqz is based on Firefox so it likely uses its own certificate store and thus needs the AG certificate to be manually imported currently until AG for Mac adds support for it.

I'll test this in a couple minutes and see if I can get it working.
Yes, indeed, I should have mentioned that. Thank you for testing.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Okay, let's do this thing. :D

Step 1) Go to the Cliqz menu then Preferences... to open the browser's settings.

Step 2) Click on the Privacy & Security section on the left side and then scroll down to the bottom of this section to Certificates.

Step 3) Click the View Certificates... button.

Step 4) With the Certificate Manager open, under Authorities, click the Import... button on the bottom.

Step 5) When the Finder file open dialog opens, at the top where the drop down menu is, click the drop down menu then select the main macOS drive (by default called something like Macintosh HD or perhaps Mac HD).

Step 6) Once in the root of the main Mac drive in the file open dialog, open the Library folder and once inside open the Application Support folder. Now once inside the Application Support folder, next open the com.adguard.Adguard folder and then the NfApiConfiguration folder and finally the SSL folder. Inside you will see a file called Adguard Personal CA.cer which is what we're looking for.

Step 7) Now, click on the Adguard Personal CA.cer file and select the Open button in the file dialog.

Step 8) It'll pop up a box asking if you want to trust this CA with three checkboxes. Check all three and select OK, like in this screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/edTxfdC.png

Step 9) Finally, you'll see the Adguard Personal CA in the Certificate Manager window as seen here: https://i.imgur.com/SqruOq4.png

Step 10) Click OK in the Certificate Manager, close Cliqz's preferences and try opening a HTTPS website like google.com and it should work now. :)

Tribulatio

Thank you very much for your very clear and detailed, step-by-step, explanations!

I have done exactly as instructed - and it is working indeed. Very kind of you to have taken the time to let me know how to do it. This is great help, much appreciated!