AdGuard App Blocking Other Apps From Working Also Ignoring Whitelisted Entries

Firedingo

As the title says, Adguard is blocking some apps from working. With adguard running i can open the twitch app but it cant load any content at all. Since their new update today i cant connect to chat either. Before the update chat would still connect and i could turn adguard off, select stream i want, switch to adguard and turn it back on and life was good. Now that doesnt work and as soon as i leave the twitch app all content stops loading and if i reenable adguard and switch back it doesnt reload. Initially I tried turning off all the filters for the twitch app. I was still having issues so I turned off the option for routing the app's traffic through Adguard, still wasn't working. I turned off all other options I could and still not working. Between changing each of these options I stopped and started Adguard to be doubly sure everything was updated. Finally after this I tried disabling Adguard and lo and behold the twitch app worked again. So I tried adding any important domains I could think of to any whitelist I could find. I discovered I had to add the internal ip of our router too as it was getting blocked. Initially that worked for our router but now it doesn't and despite adding all those twitch addresses I'm pretty sure they were ignored as well. I'm not really sure what to do. Adguard blocks ads beautifully and I've loved it since I got it because it's one of the few I can use on mobile without root but if I can't use it with twitch it's very likely to annoy the he'll out of me more than it already has which will result in me giving up Adguard so I'm hoping I can get some help here. Thanks.

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@Firedingo hi!

Several questions:
1) What is your device, Android version and Adguard version?
2) Do you use VPN/manual proxy mode?
3) Any other apps aside from Twitch that you experience troubles with?
4) Did your router's IP show up in the filtering log as blocked, or why did you decide that it was?

Firedingo

@Firedingo hi!

Several questions:
1) What is your device, Android version and Adguard version?
2) Do you use VPN/manual proxy mode?
3) Any other apps aside from Twitch that you experience troubles with?
4) Did your router's IP show up in the filtering log as blocked, or why did you decide that it was?
1) My device is a Samsung Galaxy Tab S, Version: 6.0.1, Adguard Version: 2.9
2) I do not use VPN/proxy mode I do use the HTTPS filtering option. Initially wanted to use it for YouTube. Ended up settling for Ublock Origin in Firefox Android when I learned YouTube has a habit of getting around adguard and other blockers.
3) I have noticed issues with the default standard browser, not sure what they call it. Sites sometimes report errors especially SSL errors but it's hard to say if that's because of Adguard or not as I get similar errors on my pc which doesn't run Adguard. I have noticed though when I get those errors that disabling Adguard results in the connection to those sites going through.
4) basically I couldn't access it from my tablet but could from other devices like my pc and the minute I disabled adguard I was able to reach my router. If I recall it was returning me an error at the time. I think saying connection refused or connection blocked. Whitelisting the IP seemed to work and so I thought nothing more of it. Tried testing it again just now after dropping the IP from the whitelist but not having the same issues as before.
I don't often look at the log until I want to know in more detail what's going on. Usually I just test things to figure out what's going on. Had some issues with Ublock Origin on my pc where some content was broken by it and some content was inappropriately blocked by some filters which taught me to experiment and find who's causing the problem.

EDIT: I have just discovered the Steam mobile app has issues. Normally it will load stuff and fetch any necessary updates like friend statuses when I open the app. Lately I was being presented with a blank friends screen when I opened it and had to hit refresh to get it to update. I had just been assuming it was my Internet. I disabled adguard and suddenly my issues went away. Checking the filtering log and I don't see any issues with steam addresses being blocked or otherwise limited.

Last edited: