AdGuard Assistant Permissions

oldsarge

On the recent Safari update - 14.0 - it came with AG Assistant. I have been using the paid version of AG 2.4.8.797 for quite a while and very satisfied. In the screen shot below, the permissions indicate that AG can see my passwords, credit cards, and such. Really? Does that also apply to the paid version of AG? And do I need both running? Is there any harm in having both running? AND, I have never dug down into "permissions" so I just leave alone that which I do not understand.

Can someone help me on this? It really bothers me that my passwords and credit cards can be seen. Or am I misunderstanding what permissions can and cannot see. I do a lot of on line shopping and security is very important.

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 7.20.23 PM.png

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Yes, the Assistant can read a webpage's contents (it needs to, to function correctly, more below) but it's not actually logging, saving or doing anything with that website contents data like saving passwords, credit card numbers, phone numbers or any sort of personal information like that. And no, it's not sending it to a remote server or anything like that either.

The AdGuard Assistant browser extension actually needs the Webpage Contents permission to be able to function correctly and perform its functions as the AdGuard Assistant; blocking elements on a webpage, reporting ads on a website, do not filter for 30 seconds, enabling/disabling protection, etc. I suspect if you use any password manager extensions or even ad blocker browser extensions for Safari, they'd require the same Website Contents permission to function correctly.

Ultimately it's up to you if you trust the extension or not with having access to the Website Contents permission.

oldsarge

Thank you Boo Berry. When Safari updated, it included a feature to block trackers and it was automatically installed. And I noticed that AG Assistant was installed next to it as well. I assumed that Safari installed it; I know I did not but maybe AG installed it since I am running the paid version? Any harm having both versions of AG running? Also, I run Malwarebytes Premium.

The paid premium versions of AG and MWB are to the right; the AG Assistant and Safari tracker blocker are to the left.

Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 11.08.39 AM.png

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Yes, AdGuard for Mac includes the AdGuard Assistant extension for Safari. The Assistant is an addon for AdGuard standalone apps for Windows and Mac.

It's used to help you block ads on websites by yourself, or disable/enable filtering on websites, or report websites, disable filtering for 30 seconds, etc.