AdGuard becoming to busy and bloated?

FattiesGoneWild

I personally have not used 6.0 myself yet. But, I have seen it and see all the different screenshots of it. Are we losing focus here? The main focus of it being an ad blocker. What is it with all these extra features that seem to be added and are new? Considering this program is advertised as a adblocker. And it should be just that. Let a anti virus suite handle the rest? The new Adguard simply seems to be to busy for what it does and trying to hard to do other things. Know what I mean? I truly believe Adguard is the best at what it does. Blocking ads. But, its walking a fine line trying to do to many other things.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gass

I personally have not used 6.0 myself yet. But, I have seen it and see all the different screenshots of it. Are we losing focus here? The main focus of it being an ad blocker. What is it with all these extra features that seem to be added and are new? Considering this program is advertised as a adblocker. And it should be just that. Let a anti virus suite handle the rest? The new Adguard simply seems to be to busy for what it does and trying to hard to do other things. Know what I mean? I truly believe Adguard is the best at what it does. Blocking ads. But, its walking a fine line trying to do to many other things.
Maybe Adguard needs to allow options on install or in UI after install, as to what is active and working within it.
I personally have not installed the v6 either and waiting for a final to know I'll have no problems after install/update.
I have a good internet security suit that if Adguard would duplicate some actions of it - then it would be redundant
and would like to disable this redundancy of features in Adguard.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is a very important topic and I'd really like to hear the forum users opinion on this.

My opinion:
Functionally the only new module we've introduced in v6 is "Stealth Mode" (which is focused on privacy protection).
I just think that privacy protection is a natural feature of an ad blocker, that's why we are trying to improve AG capabilities in it.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
I just think that privacy protection is a natural feature of an ad blocker, that's why we are trying to improve AG capabilities in it.
Same here. Same with browser security, extensions (userscripts) and parental control.

Besides, undesirable features can be disabled in v6, including extensions.

Gass

This is a very important topic and I'd really like to hear the forum users opinion on this.

My opinion:
Functionally the only new module we've introduced in v6 is "Stealth Mode" (which is focused on privacy protection).
I have to admit you have me at a disadvantage avatar.
I'm one of the one's who don't tinker with software much - mostly use default out of the box experience.
But if say I have Kaspersky (KISS) and Emsisoft AV installed, I already have redundancy, so what in v6
or even v5 is Adguard not offering same/like features of these two softs already?

Might be wrong place to ask but, how goes testing on v6 final will there be any changes to RC ?

"Stealth Mode"
we made an extension for Yandex.Browser
completely different approach to achieving online privacy
continue with this protection of personal data topic
previously called our spyware filter a ‘privacy protection’ tool, which is actually a part of Ad blocker module.
But then added new and useful features to the program (that small privacy protection project), which later formed a separate module “Stealth mode”.

Ok I also have installed Maxa Cookie Manager and use ixquick and have it set as my homepage, so Stealth Mode I see offers
some redundancy already right? By blocking cookies, hide search queries and maybe others.

The bottom line I would want most, is Adguard not to slow my browsing, on an already slow (snail) slow connection.

Thank you avatar,
Gass

Last edited by a moderator:

Cister

Hello everyone.

I just want to say that I love Adgard. In one, we have all what we need for a fine and secure experience of Internet. This is my only one extension and it is good for my three broswers. I feel very secure with Adgard Pro and all is working in oïl with Emsisoft.
Excuse my poor English.

mysteriously

Beta Tester & Translator
I don't like parental control. Not in the Adguard itself, I rather think a general idea of parental control is completely missed

ram1220

Personally I don't like all the bloat. I bought Adguard to block ads and that is it. I used to use Avast years ago until they added a bunch of bloat and slowed Avast down. I switched and haven't looked back. If Adguard does the same I will leave Adguard and never look back. Just my opinion.

Gass

But that's the thing, I haven't noticed Adguard become any slower at all.

It would be nice if we knew if your talking v6rc or not. I know when I have to many filters active in v5
adguard warns me (if I'm remembering right) that my browsing will be slower. Is same with v6rc?-BB
You did say "become any slower" do we know as my ex: above it can be slowed by to many filter going.

Besides, undesirable features can be disabled in v6, including extensions.
Is this like the parental filter - that I have no need for and never use, would be nice if this didn't take
disk and registry recourses to tic during install to NOT Install it. An al la carte menu for install.

Hitokage

It's natural for a program to include various other features and functionalities.

Regarding this my feedback shall be the following 2 main points:

1. No matter how big a program is, as long as functions can be disabled, it shouldn't slow things down isn't it?
Adguard team should analyse which feature can cause noticeable slowdown, and offer the ability to disable it if it can't be done so yet. The user should be informed about the potential performance issues a particular feature can cause, be it through tooltip / other documentations etc.

2. Adblocking shall always remain as the top priority, be it bug fixing or continuously optimising less efficient algorithms that the team is aware of etc. This includes mobile version of Adguard as well. As long as you are not sacrificing this priority and the team is not overloaded with work, you can add and improve other features as much as you want, while keeping in mind of Point #1 above too.

aguser

Beta Tester
Also the file size of adguard installer is over 20mb .Previously it used to be ~10mb.Is the increase due to these extra features?
Can't the size be reduced?