AdGuard blocking all websites on latest Windows 10 insider fast ring release

obiwankenobi

Beta Tester
As the title states, adguard is blocking all webpages from loading on the newest windows 10 insider fast-ring build.

Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview (64-bit)
Build 14942.rs_prerelease.161003-1923

My guess is that it's something to do with the way AdGuard's certificate is handled under this new build, but don't quote me. The reason I think this is because web pages will not load with adguard enabled. The second I disable adguard, however, all pages load just fine. Hope a fix or an update is released fairly quickly, and I hope I'm not the only person experiencing this. I don't post much, mostly because adguard is mostly trouble free, but I had to bring this to the attention of the developers. :)

Update: Disabling protection does not fix the issue, either. I have to completely close the program in order for any webpage to load correctly. Using Chrome, the latest build, I receive a ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR, under any other browser, sites just will not load. Edge, Internet Explorer....it doesn't matter which browser I try, it simply will not allow the page to load. Exiting AdGuard, however, I can refresh the page, and it loads instantly. I just wanted to bring this attention to the forums so the problem (hopefully) gets resolved fairly quickly, plus, my license for AdGuard expires on October 25, 2016, so I wanted to file this as a bug and let this be known, to avoid this occurrence happening to anyone else. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hrold-Finch

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I confirm the issue. It seems that they have completely broken WFP drivers in this update.

I suppose they will fix it pretty soon as this bug will break A LOT of security software, not just Adguard.

The only temporary solution is to switch to TDI driver (Settings - General - Uncheck "Use WFP driver"). The problem is that in this case AG won't filter MS Edge.

Github issue about this: https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/1310
I'll post updates there and here.

My guess is that it's something to do with the way AdGuard's certificate
Nope, it's not. Even if you disable https filtering, all websites will still be broken.

UPD: Ops, I've just read the update

Last edited by a moderator:

Lastwebpage

Only a note about this issue.
"The problem is that in this case AG won't filter MS Edge." This seems to me is only the half truth. ;)
If this WPF driver is disabled, Adguard can't filter Edge, that's right.
But if WPF is enabled, Aguard not work in Edge anyway (No Adguard icon inside Edge).

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Yes, because WFP drivers are broken in the latest Insider Preview - so the only choices are to either a) downgrade to a previous Insider Preview and wait for the next one or b) uncheck the WFP driver in Adguard.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
It's listed in the Insider build known issues about problems with anti-virus applications (which use WFP drivers). Ultimately Microsoft has to fix it, and I'm sure they will in time.

But this is the thing about using Insider builds - especially the fast ring. Expect problems and things not working. Personally, I don't use Insider builds until the last month or so before a major release. At least by then they usually have the major bugs worked out. ;)

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Even Windows defender itself relies on it. Although I am not sure if it relies on that particular part which is broken.

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
Extension does not rely on WFP driver and that's why it should normally work.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There're some open bugs with the Edge extension, though. We'll fix it in the next update.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Well, a lot of products (e.g. Adguard and anti-virus products) depend on WFP. So yeah, they'll likely fix it at some point.

Who knows, maybe they're working on a newer version and/or making it less buggy but it isn't ready for Insider use?