AdGuard breaks Google sync

djdelarosa25

Hi there!
I'm on AdGuard v3.1.0 for Android and I have found that Google sync just doesn't work when I have AdGuard enabled. When I go to Settings>Accounts>Google>Account sync and tap on 'Sync now' with AdGuard disabled, everything syncs instantly. But whenever it's enabled, only a few parameters will actually sync. The others will get stuck, presumably waiting for the sync to finish. Is this a known issue, or is it an isolated case? I've attached the logs zip. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

Chinaski

Support Marine
Staff member
Administrator
@djdelarosa25
Hello!
Unfortunately, these logs are not enough. You need enter to Advanced settings > Logging level > Record everything.
Then reproduce the problem.
Also please specify the time of the issue.

djdelarosa25

@djdelarosa25
Hello!
Unfortunately, these logs are not enough. You need enter to Advanced settings > Logging level > Record everything.
Then reproduce the problem.
Also please specify the time of the issue.
Hi! Sorry for the late reply. Here you go:
I pressed the 'Sync now' button at around the 07:01:00 mark and waited for a whole five minutes before exporting the logs. Hope it's helpful.

Attachments

djdelarosa25

I don't seem to have any problems with Google sync (Android Pie, Pixel 2XL).
Do the two rotating arrows disappear on yours? It's stuck on mine and the date and time of syncing won't update, so that's what led me to assume that sync was broken.

djdelarosa25

Turns out this is an issue within Android itself. Basically, Android versions 8.1 above, WiFi + VPN gets treated as mobile data/metered for some reason. This is what causes the sync to fail. I tried it myself, Google sync won't work with VPN disabled and mobile data turned on. That must be the case.

EllisGJ

Experiencing same/similar problem. Google contacts sync fails with AdGuard enabled; succeeds with AdGuard disabled. Google Backup - same issue. Twp Galaxy S8's - same symptoms on both.

Chinaski

Support Marine
Staff member
Administrator
@EllisGJ
Please specify are you using DNS settings?
Try to switch another DNS and change server type(For example Google DNS or AdGuard DNS).

EllisGJ

@Chinaski, thanks for your message. I tried changing my (WiFi) router to use Google DNS servers instead of Comcast servers- no change with regard to the sync problem (with my phone connected via WiFi). Sadly, I had to try uninstalling AdGuard. Sync now works perfectly.

If I get time, I will try the AdGuard logging procedure.

Last edited:

Chinaski

Support Marine
Staff member
Administrator
@EllisGJ
After you try to do the synchronization what shows AdGuard filtering log?
You can also try to reproduce the situation on the Nightly version.