Adguard Chrome extension

Discussion in 'Release Notes (Beta Versions)' started by avatar, Oct 31, 2013.

1. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hello to everyone!

Besides making Adguard 5.8, we have spent the past month on our new product development.

And finally we are ready to present Adguard chrome extension!

We will be grateful if you try it:
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adguard/bgnkhhnnamicmpeenaelnjfhikgbkllg

Important notes:
    * Extension is disabled automatically if Adguard desktop version is detected

To use them in parallel:
    1. Disable filtration for the browser with extension
    2. Clear browser cache

* Extension works worse than Adguard desktop version

The cause is that Chrome extensions have a lot of restrictions.
    Adguard desktop version has much more freedom.

I hope you will like it:).

2. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Ooooh! I'm guessing Firefox isn't too far behind? ;) Sucks that there's restrictions in Chrome though (which is to be expected). Hopefully Google enhances that someday to make the API more on-par with Firefox's. The extension should also work by default in Opera 15+ as well. Just because users might get confused, it might be a good idea to add the Easylist filter as a selection (even though the filters are based on it already) for those who want it.

Will the Desktop version of Adguard and the extensions version of Adguard get seperate forum sections? I hope so. :D

Actually, this could allow a neat feature - cloud storage of Adguard Desktop user rules that can be synced to the extension versions. This could be VERY useful when using the extension(s) on other operating systems like Linux. Also importing of .txt filter rules too!

P.S. When is Adguard Desktop (and the Assistant) getting the new icon? It's awesome!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2013
  3. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Firefox extension (and also new forum section) depends on the Chrome extension success:).

What for the new icon -- desktop version will get it along with a new design we are working on now.