Adguard Chrome Extension

Discussion in 'Adguard for Chrome and Opera' started by steve1209, Mar 31, 2014.

1. steve1209

steve1209 Beta Tester

Hi All,

I've just downloaded the Adguard chrome extension v1.0.0.50. I've been a pretty long user of Ad Muncher but like MANY I am getting tired of the endless promises for a new version over there which never seems to come. I'm looking into alternatives, so Adguard is the first place I'm looking, staring slowly with the chrome extension.

So a couple of questions if I may:

1. I only use Chrome as my browser so is the Adguard chrome extension good enough for me or do I need the full Adguard product installed on my Windows 7 system?

2. What's the advantage of the full program over the extension for chrome only browsing?

3. Last question, I use AIM, Ad Muncher blocked the ad's there, the Adguard extension does not block ads on AIM, does the full product block AIM ad's are there going to be other ads that get through the extension where the full version will block them?

Thank you for any info,
    Steve

2. rickyoh

rickyoh Beta Tester

Hello, the graphic displayed after you install the Adguard extension summarizes the major features that the full version has over the extension

[​IMG]

the major advantage that the full version of Adguard has over its extension is the capability to work across various browsers and soon on programs as well(http://forum.adguard.com/showthread.php?1036-Browsers-gt-Applications).

support for userscripts(extensions in Adguard) across all browsers is also another standout feature so for example a script such as this one(http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/13333) will work in Chrome without installing the Tampermonkey extension.

all in all the only way to gauge your needs is to install the 14 day trial(http://adguard.com/en/download.html) and see for yourself.

3. steve1209

steve1209 Beta Tester

Thank you for your reply

4. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

As it stands now, Adguard filters web browsers. But, that's in wording only as you can specify any executable for Adguard to filter except for AIM you might need additional filter rules. Simply just add AIM's executable and see if it's filtered. Hopefully in v6 Adguard will expanded to list and filter programs like AIM by default.

5. steve1209

steve1209 Beta Tester

Hi Boo Berry,

I just installed the FULL version of Adguard as a trial, how would I go about adding "Simply just add AIM's executable and see if it's filtered." as you suggest? I looked at the many options & didn't see where to do that?

6. Boo Berry

Okay...

First, make sure AIM is completely closed and not running. Next click Extended interface on the bottom left. After clicking that click Settings and when the section expands, click on Browsers. At the bottom there's a Add a browser... button - click it, and navigate to AIM's main executable (if you don't know it, find it via task manager in Windows) and click Open. Start AIM up and see what happens. :)

To see if it's filtering just enable the logs (Protection > Logs then click Enable) before starting AIM.

7. steve1209

steve1209 Beta Tester

Boo Berry,

Amazing AIM is now filtered thank you for the help, HTTPS is now filtered, not so with with Ad Muncher (HTTPS), looks like the FULL version of AdGuard will be on my BUY list when my trial expires.

8. Boo Berry

And all ads are being taken care of? I've never tried it! :D Awesome!

9. cesurkalem

cesurkalem New Member

hi just want to make a suggestion for chrome extension. when i surfing i want to add any site in whitelist but there is no option on extension button on chrome like enable or disable on this site. i can add extension option but it takes long time. can you add this option on the next version please. thank you.

10. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Are you sure?

Here is filtration on/off switch:
    http://screencast.com/t/VJXsFChD02