AdGuard Closes Due To Error

Mike20161107

Windows 10 Build 16278.rs3
Adguard 6.1.331.1732
Bitdefender Total Security 22.0.10.141

Adugard closes at least once a day due to an error. When it closes I believe the Adguard.exe process also closes. See uploaded pictures for a W10 explanation of the error from ScreenHunter 233.png ScreenHunter 235.png the Windows Event Log. This error occurs on all four of my PCs with the configuration listed at the beginning of this post.

Mike20161107

Just to clarify. There may be some confusion on this based upon a Facebook post. I am not having any trouble with a specific website. This error occurs even if I never open the browser for a day. Now I have been on this computer for 13 hours with my browser open the entire time visiting my normal websites. Adguard is still working. If you look at the time of the error and crash it probably coincides with some Windows 10 activity, maybe nightly maintenance.

Mike20161107

Sorry I can not find the beta download link on the webpage you linked.
Also do I need some kind of license to fully activate the beta?
Do I have to unbind version 6.1 before uninstalling so I can install the beta?

I did find an AdguardInstallerBeta stub and downloaded it. Is that what I use? Will it automatically install the latest Beta?

Thanks for all the help answering my questions. There may be more before I am able to run the beta installer.

Mike20161107

Current status.

Installed the Beta 6.2.390.2018 (hope it is the latest) on one PC last night. Still active this AM. Installed the Beta on a second PC about 20 minutes ago. Set both for Beta Channel auto updates and configured other settings to my liking.

I will monitor both over the weekend and if no noticeable problems will install the Beta on the remaining two PCs which I have a license for.

P.S. During the uninstall of 6.1 I also uninstalled on both PCs the Adguard Blocker extension from Edge AFAIK it is redundant so no need for it if I am running Adguard for Windows.

Have a nice weekend. Will check back here sometime next next week with an update, unless I have problems with the Beta over the weekend in which case I will post them here as soon as I can after seeing them.

Thanks again for your help
P.S. not edited for typos. :)

Mike20161107

It appears the Beta did not solve the problem
I looked a littler further and I found two versions of ntdll.dll with different file sizes but same version number. I do not know if that has anything to do with the problem but I have uploaded images of the properties of each of the two ntdll.dll filesScreenHunter 19.png ScreenHunter 18.png ScreenHunter 20.png ScreenHunter 21.png

Mike20161107

Here is a pic of another W10 Event Viewer item about the Adguard.exe crash This event is "Windows Error Reporting" from 3:42:06 just two seconds after the "Application Error" event
ScreenHunter 22.png

WSK

Beta Tester
Add the Adguard.exe and AdguardSvc.exe files in APPLICATION ACCESS exception in BitDefender.

Mike20161107

Add the Adguard.exe and AdguardSvc.exe files in APPLICATION ACCESS exception in BitDefender.
Interesting you should mention that. I had been thinking about doing it when I first noticed the problem. However, I did a Full System scan and context scan of the Adguard.exe and neither closed Adguard.exe. so I did not add them.

Having said that as per your suggestion I just added them as exceptions in Bitdefender in two of the four PCs Adguarad is running on. We will see how it goes.

Mike20161107

Unfortunately your suggestion did not work. I have tried turning off Adguard extensions that did not help. My latest is I have reinstalled the Adguard certificate and turned off Stealth mode. On a second PC in addition to turning off Stealth mode and reinstalling the Adguard certificate I have turned off off Use WFP network driver and turned off Filter HTTPS protocol.

At this point my guess would be that the WFP network driver is causing the problem. We shall see.ScreenHunter 241.png

WSK

Beta Tester
Unfortunately your suggestion did not work. I have tried turning off Adguard extensions that did not help. My latest is I have reinstalled the Adguard certificate and turned off Stealth mode. On a second PC in addition to turning off Stealth mode and reinstalling the Adguard certificate I have turned off off Use WFP network driver and turned off Filter HTTPS protocol.

At this point my guess would be that the WFP network driver is causing the problem. We shall see.View attachment 10195
You added files to an exception there as I have specified on a screenshot?

Mike20161107

You added files to an exception there as I have specified on a screenshot?
Yes I added the files. Also there has never been a problem with AdguardSvc.exe. Only Adguard.exe is closing. Like I said I also did a Full System Scan and a Context Scan of Adguard.exe using Bitdefender with no impact on Adguard.exe before I added the files. This is why I did not add the files until you suggested it but added them per your suggestion. In any case adding the files made no difference as I suspected it would not.

Truthfully, I am not sure why you would think the conflict is with Bitdefender If you search the Net for "Bitdefender ntdll.dll" you find nothing, Now it could be that the there is a problem with the ntdll.dll file being corrupt but I have had only one other app problem on any of my four PCs in months. That problem was not related to ntdll.dll. So if it was a ntdll.dll problem other than a conflict with Adguard.exe I would have had other problems on my PCs with ntdll.dll which I have not seen or am aware of.

I did find one instance on the Net of a person's computer having a conflict between ntdll.dll and the Nvidia driver on their computer. That is why I think the problem may be a conflict between ntdll.dll and an Adguard driver. I should also mention that as I recall though I do not have it documented the problem began around the time of a Windows 10 Fall Creators Insider Slow Ring update and the current ntdll.dll files date is about at that date. So ntdll.dll may have been changed during that build update resulting in a conflict with Adguard.exe

Anyway thanks again for your help. I will let you know what my current ideas as mentioned above yield in results.

Voxilli

Code:
Faulting application name: Adguard.exe, version: 6.1.331.1732, time stamp: 0x58d95f5b
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.15063.608, time stamp: 0x802f667e
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0005da74
Faulting process id: 0x1a74
Faulting application start time: 0x01d33491bfc8e542
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adguard\Adguard.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: ea8c8517-ca05-4215-b57a-fd57d6ab5512
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
I am having the exact same issue here. I am using the latest Windows 10 build on slow-ring (15063.608). I too use Bitdefender but I added them as an exception. It seems very pointless to do as pointed out though because if Bitdefender had a conflict with either Adguard.exe or AdguardSvc.exe then it would have alerted us. Upon finding this thread days ago I installed the linked beta and it still had the same issue and actually happened more frequently then. Between this and not receiving an email back from a "second level developer" for over two weeks over a separate Android issue, I am beginning to lose patience for this product and the team of developers.

Mike20161107

Code:
Faulting application name: Adguard.exe, version: 6.1.331.1732, time stamp: 0x58d95f5b
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.15063.608, time stamp: 0x802f667e
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0005da74
Faulting process id: 0x1a74
Faulting application start time: 0x01d33491bfc8e542
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adguard\Adguard.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: ea8c8517-ca05-4215-b57a-fd57d6ab5512
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
I am having the exact same issue here. I am using the latest Windows 10 build on slow-ring (15063.608). I too use Bitdefender but I added them as an exception. It seems very pointless to do as pointed out though because if Bitdefender had a conflict with either Adguard.exe or AdguardSvc.exe then it would have alerted us. Upon finding this thread days ago I installed the linked beta and it still had the same issue and actually happened more frequently then. Between this and not receiving an email back from a "second level developer" for over two weeks over a separate Android issue, I am beginning to lose patience for this product and the team of developers.
I am now on W10 1709 16291.1. I have not been able to solve the problem. That and not seeing any posts here on the topic is why I have not posted back since my last post. I did try several things beyond what I had mentioned up through my last post but none of them worked.

However, all is not lost. I had an instance where I noticed the Adguard icon was no longer in the computer's notification area which meant that Adguard.exe was no longer running. Almost simultaneously to noticing that before I reloaded the icon, Adguard popped up telling me it had blocked a possible malicious website. I thought that was interesting. How could Adguard still be protecting my computer if Adguard.exe was no longer running? Then it occurred to me that maybe Aduard.exe is the app for the GUI and not for the protection. This made sense since there is another Adguard executable Adguardsvc.exe that runs when Adguard is loaded. If it is the case that Adguardsvc.exe which has not been affected by the problem is indeed the executable for Adguard protection that would be good news since it would mean that we are not losing protection when Adguard.exe closes. All we are losing is access to the Adguard GUI

Voxilli

I am now on W10 1709 16291.1. I have not been able to solve the problem. That and not seeing any posts here on the topic is why I have not posted back since my last post. I did try several things beyond what I had mentioned up through my last post but none of them worked.

However, all is not lost. I had an instance where I noticed the Adguard icon was no longer in the computer's notification area which meant that Adguard.exe was no longer running. Almost simultaneously to noticing that before I reloaded the icon, Adguard popped up telling me it had blocked a possible malicious website. I thought that was interesting. How could Adguard still be protecting my computer if Adguard.exe was no longer running? Then it occurred to me that maybe Aduard.exe is the app for the GUI and not for the protection. This made sense since there is another Adguard executable Adguardsvc.exe that runs when Adguard is loaded. If it is the case that Adguardsvc.exe which has not been affected by the problem is indeed the executable for Adguard protection that would be good news since it would mean that we are not losing protection when Adguard.exe closes. All we are losing is access to the Adguard GUI
Unfortunately for me, the reason I notice it is because suddenly I will start seeing ads again in my browser. I check the tray icon and it is gone. Haven't checked to see if it is still running in Task Manager, but if it isn't blocking ads then it is useless.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Can you guys please try this test build to see if the issue still exists?

https://uploads.adguard.com/up04_ji7em_setup_6.2.400_dev.exe

There should also be a new AdGuard for Windows 6.2 beta very soon. The above build is a work-in-progress version of the next beta, but it contains a fix for a pretty serious issue. I'm just curious whether or not the issue you guys are encountering might already be fixed for the next version.

Mike20161107

Can you guys please try this test build to see if the issue still exists?

https://uploads.adguard.com/up04_ji7em_setup_6.2.400_dev.exe

There should also be a new AdGuard for Windows 6.2 beta very soon. The above build is a work-in-progress version of the next beta, but it contains a fix for a pretty serious issue. I'm just curious whether or not the issue you guys are encountering might already be fixed for the next version.
I have been using version 6.2.390.2018 for a few weeks now I also have Adguard set to update via the Beta channel. Is there a later update than 6.2.390.2018