Adguard + Comodo IceDragon Certificate Error

Discussion in 'Technical Support (Adguard for Windows)' started by chromatinfish123, May 30, 2014.

  1. chromatinfish123

    chromatinfish123 Beta Tester

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2014
    Messages:
    47
    Using Adguard for Firefox, wanted to try it out with Comodo IceDragon. Enabling Adguard shows "Invalid Certificate." How to change this?
     
  2. Nameless

    Nameless Beta Tester

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2014
    Messages:
    723
  3. avatar

    avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2010
    Messages:
    12,274
    Do you mean that you've got invalid certificate using extension, not windows version?
     
  4. chromatinfish123

    chromatinfish123 Beta Tester

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2014
    Messages:
    47
    Windows Version. Why does Firefox have certificate and Comodo doesn't? I enabled certificate and everything works! Thanks @nameless!
     
  5. Boo Berry

    Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

    Joined:
    May 30, 2012
    Messages:
    2,621
    Well, Firefox and its forks are pretty stubborn with certificates sometimes. Usually you can close the browser(s), disable filtering for 30 seconds then re-enable filtering and it should automatically inject the certificate or you can reboot. But, I've noticed this isn't the case with certain Firefox forks, mainly K-Meleon, where no matter what you do Adguard can't automatically inject the certificate thus requiring the user to manually import it instead. Hopefully IceDragon isn't another one of those troublesome forks.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2014
  6. avatar

    avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2010
    Messages:
    12,274
    This problem could be caused by the way how we import our certificate into Firefox and other Firefox-based browsers.

    Look, Firefox stores all root CA certificates in your user profile (usually it's placed somewhere in %appdata%\Mozilla folder).
    So Adguard looks for the certificates db here named cert8.db.

    But here is the very important notice: Firefox (or any Firefox-based browser) must not work when we import certificate there.
    If it was running it just ignores imported cert (and re-writes cert db on exit).

    So, what could have caused your issue:
    1. Cert db location -- we scan %appdata% only. IceDragon could have placed it somewhere else.
    2. If IceDragon was running when you installed Adguard cert import could fail.