[AdGuard DNS] Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamGuy

Beta Tester
I've been using Adguard DNS since the release and I do find it very promising and I'm quite happy with it thus far.

There are a few caveats though.

First of, the response times is not all that great for one living in Europe (Norway for me). Even on optical fibre connection the ping from the DNS is never below 35ms which is rather high. And at times it even peaks to above 100ms. Compared to local DNS giving 1-4ms, and other solutions like OpenDNS, Google DNS, Norton DNS etc all giving 2-8ms it becomes clear that you need more servers with better localization for it to be more efficient for users.

I also notice that playing back videos on YouTube.com gets a noticeable delay when using the Adguard DNS servers and I don't know why? Videos never starts to play like they use to, which would be immediately . Instead there is a delay of 1-5 seconds before anything starts playing when using the Adguard DNS servers.

The most annoying thing is that it breaks some websites. Apple.com does not load correctly at all and images on sites like Bulbpedia and other sites does not load when using the Adguard DNS servers. This is a rather huge deal, as setting the Adguard DNS servers as default on the router gets complicated when less tech savvy users on the network starts complaining about sites not loading correctly. There is no fast and easy way to simply change the DNS to bypass pages not loading correctly.

And as someone has asked already. Is it supposed to be able to block ads within apps? Because it does not block YouTube ads on iOS, nor does it block the YouTube ads on the new Apple TV. This reduces the value of the DNS quite a lot, as blocking these kinds of ads would be the best thing about the service. Blocking adds on computers is rather trivial with all the web-browser extensions / add-ons b

RamGuy

Beta Tester
My brother complains about the Adguard DNS also blocking the login on Hotornot.com. And we are using the version without family protection.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Besides ads what else do you plan to offer with the DNS service, paid or free?
The current features will be free for personal use. We may introduce some paid features, but we have do not plan to do it in the near future.

Where will you place the european servers?
Netherlands.

Adding european servers as in cloudfront or private servers?
Private, it'd be hard to set up anycast if you use someone's cloud infrastructure.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
And as someone has asked already. Is it supposed to be able to block ads within apps? Because it does not block YouTube ads on iOS, nor does it block the YouTube ads on the new Apple TV. This reduces the value of the DNS quite a lot, as blocking these kinds of ads would be the best thing about the service. Blocking adds on computers is rather trivial with all the web-browser extensions / add-ons b
Yep, Blocking YT in-app ads is almost impossible nowadays. Ads metadata is encrypted and served from YT own servers so you can't just block access to them.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@RamGuy do you use default or family servers?

The most annoying thing is that it breaks some websites. Apple.com does not load correctly at all and images on sites like Bulbpedia and other sites does not load when using the Adguard DNS servers.
What exactly is wrong with apple.com? No issues on my side.

The same for Bulbpedia (I guess it is http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/, right?).

My brother complains about the Adguard DNS also blocking the login on Hotornot.com. And we are using the version without family protection.
https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardDNS/issues/27

Volaris

New user. Been using Adguard browser extensions for a long time and happy with them. Decided to try Adguard DNS on my router. Been running it a few days without problems! So far reliability/speed has been as good as ISP/OpenDNS DNS servers. It's great for blocking ads on mobile devices. Only suggestions/issues/recommendations:

1. 176.103.130.130 routes to Level3 servers in New York while 176.103.130.131 routes to Google servers in California. I wish both 176.103.130.130/1 would route to the closest server (like 208.67.220.220 does for OpenDNS) because when I put both 176.103.130.130/1 into a device/router, many/most get sent to New York, which is farther and much slower. That's annoying. So I ended up removing the New York server to avoid that, and am only relying on one. (!) I used DNSleaktest dot com to find out where it was routed, since IP address geo location info just shows Russia.

2. I hope in the future there's support for DNScrypt clients. DNScrypt dot org for more info.

3. Not really for me since I'm close to a server, but I hope you guys track the geographic location of users IPs to know where there's high demand for this service, so you can add servers where they're needed most. If this becomes popular, maybe you can think of creative ways to add servers worldwide. For example, Fusl at OpenNIC relies on donations (from people) and server sponsorships (from hosting companies) to run a worldwide network of DNS servers - can see that at dnsrec.meo dot ws.

Keep up the great work.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I used DNSleaktest dot com to find out where it was routed, since IP address geo location info just shows Russia.
Yeah, you can't rely on maxmind database in case of Anycast'ed IP addresses.

You can use "traceroute" command to see how exactly traffic is routed.

lordman

Decided to try Adguard DNS on my router. Been running it a few days without problems!
I was testing from some days and it works very good from Spain too, ping is a bit high (115ms) but it works ok without any problems.

Last edited:

Volaris

Yeah, you can't rely on maxmind database in case of Anycast'ed IP addresses.

You can use "traceroute" command to see how exactly traffic is routed.
But is there a reason why 176.103.130.130 goes to New York with 100ms ping and 176.103.130.131 goes to California with 26ms ping? If they're anycast IPs, shouldn't they both point to the closest/fastest California server?

Status
Not open for further replies.