Adguard DNS - The most important version

KamWest

Looking at the forum I notice the complete absence of an adguard dns section.

With browser restrictions DNS Adguard will eventually become the only solution. A device that sits before the router that filters out ads and has parental control settings will become the best version of protection. I am very disappointed to see no forum devoted to this.

Why fight the browser wars when the battle can be won on the network level?
We really need to discuss and develop more options for DNS blocking.

I have google mesh routers and have adguard family dns setup on them. The problem is my son has figured out how to bypass dns by simply switching to google dns on his chromebook.

So we need a device that will force dns, something we can hook up separate to the router because at this point only a handful of routers will let you force dns.

So please adguard, focus on dns for blocking and restrictions because eventually google will not allow any more extensions on chrome and then we will be forced to think outside the box. Why not start now and get on this before your hand is forced.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
With browser restrictions DNS Adguard will eventually become the only solution.
Not true, the standalone apps AdGuard for Windows, AdGuard for Mac and AdGuard for Android are not subject to browser restrictions. They're not affected at all by Google's proposed Manifest V3 changes.

In my opinion using DNS adblocking alone is pretty limited and leaves a lot to be desired, it can only block domains (like a HOSTS file) and can't do any sort of cosmetic filtering at all. I use it (more accurately, I use AdGuard Home on a Raspberry Pi) as a "first line of defense" kind of thing and let the standalone apps do the rest. Not all ads can be blocked by blocking domains - if anything, it seems very few are.

KamWest

Not true, the standalone apps AdGuard for Windows, AdGuard for Mac and AdGuard for Android are not subject to browser restrictions.
Yes I see your point but that does not make any part of my post false or untrue.
I was going to wait to address the operating versions but since you brought it up lets talk about them....

It will always be a situation where adguard will have to devote huge resources to keep up with the operating systems.
Meanwhile DNS is a simple solution that fits almost every scenario. Simply switch dns on mobile and have an ad blocker of some type at the router level for home networks.

DNS will fix every situation and all someone has to do is devote more resources to developing that technology.

There was a defunct company called adtrap that had the right idea.
I know adguard is working on a similar idea but I'm just surprised there is no forum to discuss development of such a device.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
The only operating systems the AG devs have to keep up with are really macOS and Android. Windows maintains backwards compatibility, and even then updating for new macOS and Android changes is pretty trivial (and documented on the GitHub issue trackers for those products).

But that's kinda besides the point, since the AG dev team is split into multiple teams working on the various apps and projects. So there's developers for each of the standalone apps, the browser extensions, AG DNS, AG Home, filters, etc. Plus having CoreLibs in every app now devotes said resources (which was a bit taxed in the past when they were using different codebases and engines for each app) and allows things to be developed faster, since they need to implement it only once.

DNS adblocking won't fix every situation, not by a long shot. Look at my revised post above.

And to be fair, the forums aren't really as important anymore when there's the support system built into each app, the GitHub issues trackers for each AG product along with the reporting tool built into each AG app that makes reporting missed ads to the GitHub filters issue tracker super easy, the AdGuard subreddit and even the AG Telegram chat. I've heard a few times that the forums might someday just go away and get replaced by the AG subreddit, and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if that happens at some point in the future.

KamWest

I will agree with that but it starts at dns and the box that would hook up at the router level would still be highly configurable and would be able to work with all operating systems.

As far as windows being backwards compatible..... wait and see how long that lasts, before you know it it's either the new way or the highway... that part has already started as microsoft is trimming the operating system.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Actually, I find AdGuard Home much better than using the AdGuard DNS itself. You can customize your level of protection, setup clients where some devices have adblocking enabled whereas it can be disabled in others and most importantly it allows users to whitelist websites that are broken by the simplified domains filter AG DNS uses or any other filters you may want to use, be it AdAway's filter, Energized, etc. which allows incredible flexibility and control over your DNS-level domain blocking. With that I'd say AdGuard Home is the future.

https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome/

KamWest

Picture0006.png
Actually, I find AdGuard Home much better than using the AdGuard DNS itself. You can customize your level of protection, setup clients where some devices have adblocking enabled whereas it can be disabled in others and most importantly it allows users to whitelist websites that are broken by the simplified domains filter AG DNS uses or any other filters you may want to use, be it AdAway's filter, Energized, etc. which allows incredible flexibility and control over your DNS-level domain blocking. With that I'd say AdGuard Home is the future.

https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome/
It's all french to me, I am hoping adguard eventually comes out with a plug in device that does ads and parental controls in one. One device, plug it in and do the whole house wifi. Right now I have a google mesh system and when I add adguard dns its a couple of clicks and one gets past that.

Google mesh won't allow me to enforce the dns so it's pretty useless and the parental controls that come with it are too basic. Type in naked and look at the pictures and it blocks nothing.

There was a company called adtrap, they had the right concept but it never took off.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
You can already accomplish that right now by getting a cheap Raspberry Pi, running it 24/7 and installing AdGuard Home on it. It'll handle ads and it has parental control features as well.

KamWest

Easy for you but most folks like me don't know how to put that together, so a premade unit would sell.

KamWest

See the picture I attached a few posts up?
That is from the adguard site.

I would love to see them actually make it.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Yes, they're trying to gauge interest in such a potential product. Personally, if it does happen I hope it's a Wi-Fi 6 router with DD-WRT + AdGuard Home integrated, but I doubt that'd sell very well. I mean, they could create little "Ad Trap" style pre-built Raspberry Pis too and that *could* sell decently.

KamWest