Adguard doesn't work automatically when I turn on my computer

Discussion in 'Technical Support (AdGuard for Mac)' started by Alfie, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Alfie

Alfie New Member

Every time I turn on my Mac, Adguard fails to block ads despite the fact it's running and turned on - there's the logo in the menu bar, which when clicked shows protection is enabled. To fix the issue, I have to quit and relaunch Adguard (and if I've opened Safari, I have to quit and relaunch Safari too). After this, adblocking returns to normal.

I'm running the latest version of High Sierra and Safari. In Adguard, all relevant filters are enabled. I can't see any reason why this should happen, except maybe me using Cloudflare DNS - I read certain DNS servers can cause issues with Adguard. What I do know is it's very annoying having to relaunch Adguard every time I log on.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions for how I could fix this? Thanks.

2. TheHasagi

TheHasagi Administrator Staff Member Administrator

@Alfie

Hello!

Did you update AdGuard to 1.5.8?

I'm just unable to reproduce this issue, can you try to switch to another DNS (AdGuard DNS for example)?

3. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

AG for Mac works fine with the Cloudflare DNS - I've been using it since it was first announced.

In addition to what @TheHasagi asked, are you using any antivirus?

4. Alfie

Alfie New Member

Thanks for the speedy replies.

I'm running the latest version, 1.5.8.

I was sceptical about the DNS thing. It's good to know Cloudflare DNS isn't the issue.

Yes, I am using the free version of Avast.

5. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

6. Alfie

Alfie New Member

Yay! Disabling Webshield in Avast fixed the problem completely.

I'm just wondering if I could set up an exclusion for Adguard in Webshield preferences, so I can keep Webshield on? Avast have a guide on exclusions here, but I'm not sure which files or servers I would need to add Adguard the exclusion list.

This has been the most helpful tech support forum I've ever used. Thanks for your help everyone!

7. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

This is a typical compatibility issue with AVs on Mac.

The thing is that only one app can control the remote traffic and the one that grabs it first - wins.
    In theory, you can make them work together if you somehow "chain" them.
    For instance, do not filter browsers in AdGuard, but configure it to filter Avast itself.