AdGuard dosen't block ads on sites with a prefix of "ww."

66mustang

I've noticed a recent trend of many websites using the prefix of ww. instead of the standard www. to circumvent adblocking. Most of the blog wesbites I now visit are showing up as ww. and full of ads.

Is there any way to setup AdGuard to apply all filters to sites with the prefix of "ww."?

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
Are you talking about 9to* sites? If yes, adblock detection redirects to ww. version.

66mustang

Yes, the 9to sites but also several other blog sites. I see ads on these sites and the redirect doesn’t work for me.

Perhaps a setting I need to review?

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
So when you visit 9to5google.com you get redirected to ww. ?

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
Please list your filters. Are you using Safari Extension or full product?

66mustang

I have the Safari Extension installed and all the boxes but one checked (Advanced Blocking, Custom, General, Other, Privacy, Security and Social). I have the AdGuard Safari Icon box unchecked.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
It's worth pointing out that the AdGuard Safari browser extension (or any other adblocker Safari extension for that matter) is pretty limited, due to limits in the browser's extension API. There's a chance rules which work in AG for Mac/Windows/Android or even the AG browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox won't work in the Safari browser extension because of those limitations.

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
I modified rules a few hours ago, redirect should normally not happening anymore.

EDIT: For user filter until I am back at my dev machine to add to filters (or remove existing rule):

9to5google.com,9to5mac.com,9to5toys.com,electrek.co#@#div[data-placement][data-unit]

For left-over:
9to5google.com,9to5mac.com,9to5toys.com,electrek.co##.post-content > .inlinead

@Adam can you do that please, thank you.

Last edited:

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
That site is using the same system. Currently you also need the rules I posted above in user filter. It will take a few hours until I am at my dev device to add them to filterl lists.

66mustang

Sure no problem. Just wanted to add the URL so you can also add those at the same time. I'm fine to wait until I can download the official updated filter lists. Will post back if I am still seeing the same behavior after updating the filter lists soon. Thanks Blaz.

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
Please check for updates in about 3 hours.
EDIT: Another update available in about 3 hours.

9to5google.com,9to5mac.com,9to5toys.com,dronedj.com,electrek.co#@#.post-body a[target="_blank"] > img

Last edited:

66mustang

Just checked and all ads are blocked correctly for me on those sites across my devices. Thanks so much for the update.

66mustang

Hi Blaz, unfortunately the ads are back. Very odd as all was working correctly this morning after I updated the filters. I reupdated to see if there were any remaining filter updates but they are still there, across my devices.

Any thoughts?

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
Sadly they added new detection again. Fixed and blocked other ad another way.
Somehow I think they update again tomorrow for another rule.

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
For user filter until I am back at my dev device:

9to5google.com,9to5mac.com,9to5toys.com,electrek.co#@#.fallback-unit

RGC1940

I've noticed a recent trend of many websites using the prefix of ww. instead of the standard www. to circumvent adblocking. Most of the blog wesbites I now visit are showing up as ww. and full of ads.

Is there any way to setup AdGuard to apply all filters to sites with the prefix of "ww."?
I have not found a single ww. website/page
Can you provide a few examples?