AdGuard firefox extension system resource consumption

Discussion in 'AdGuard for Firefox' started by MiladIT, Jan 19, 2015.

1. MiladIT

MiladIT New Member

Hello

Adguard adblocker eating up my system memory and sometimes the difference is around 250 MB (between enable and disable state)

Does the problem related to the number of filters? (Did i select many filters?)

Screenshot

Or even many user filters???

But as i said before,it's more powerful than adblock plus and a special thanks to the development team :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2015
  2. vasily_bagirov

vasily_bagirov Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Number of enabled filters doesn't correlate much with memory consumption. And 250Mb is not something beyound normal. Is 250 Mb the peak memory consumption or does it get bigger at some moments?

3. MiladIT

MiladIT New Member

Thank you for your reply dear admin

As i said, the difference RAM usage (between disable and enable adguard adblocker extension situations) is around 250 MB, not total RAM usage

For example in a firefox running, when adguard was enabled Ram usage was 465,572 KB... and in some firefox runnings, as i browse more and more sites and firefox running for a long period of time, it even Approaching around 550 MB (But i didn't see over this size for now!)

an example firefox ruuning

But when i disable adguard extension and monitor RAM usage is around 250-300 MB in total

Sorry for my bad English!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2015
  4. vasily_bagirov

Yes, I understood that it's not total memory consumption, but extension's specific. But from your numbers it can be derived that extension's memory usage is about 200-300Mb max, and this is not too much. So, unless it becomes significantly higher, there is no need to panic.

5. MiladIT

MiladIT New Member

Dear vasily_bagirov and Other members,
    Could you please help me more about my filters??

I have selected below filters (9 filters!)

English filter
    Spyware filter
    Social media filter
    Experimental filter
    EasyList
    EasyPrivacy
    Fanboy's Annoyances
    Malware Domains
    Spam404

vasily_bagirov,you said:
    "Number of enabled filters doesn't correlate much with memory consumption"
    How about CPU consumption??and do many filters have any effect on firefox overall performance?? or any other problems?

Are there any incompatibility between selected filters???
    And witch ones have almost the same filter rules??

Excuse me for many questions!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2015
  6. vasily_bagirov

No worries, forum is for asking questions after all.

Well, too many filters in fact can cause some negative effects on browser performance. By too many I mean about a dozen or more.
    For example, I usually use 6 filters and have no such problems. CPU consumption shouldn't be affected too badly by filter subscriptions.

Almost the same with incompatibility. If you select too many filters, there may be some conflicts, not very often though.

And about filter rules similarity: our 'own' filters are very separate and don't have similar rules. But they may have some with EasyLists and such, or different EasyLists between each other (e.g. Social Media filter and Fanboy's Social blocking list).

7. mysteriously

mysteriously Beta Tester & Translator

I think those are enough:
    English filter
    Spyware filter
    EasyPrivacy
    Fanboy's Annoyances
    Malware Domains
    Spam404

EasyList - English filter uses this list and have some more filters reported by Adguard users
    Social media filter - Fanboy's Annoyances is more aggressive. Social media removes likes buttons etc. while Fanboy's removes also log in via facebook buttons and such
    Experimental filter - this filter is for testing purposes. Filters are added there before moving them to main ones

8. vasily_bagirov

What filters to use is really a matter of preference. We have plenty of users who are happy with using only English filter :)

9. vasily_bagirov

I am afraid I don't understand you. You want us to provide you with some KES traces? Why?