AdGuard for Android 1.0 beta version

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Finally we are ready to start Adguard for Android beta test!

The brief description of Adguard for Android features is available on our blog:
http://blog.adguard.com/en/adguard-news/adguard-android-features-description.html

How to install Adguard for Android

Beta testers Google accounts have been added to special Google Group. Members of this group can install Adguard for Android from Google Play.

To install Adguard for Android click the link below and follow the instructions to opt-in. Once you have opted-in you will receive your test version through Google Play:
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.adguard.android

How to get Premium license

You can activate Adguard with your beta-testers license key we have sent to your email. If you don't have it request it on the forum.

Important note
There is a bug in current beta version. If you purchase subscription through Google Play application restart is needed.

How to send bug reports

The simplest way to send detailed bug report is to send feedback from the app. Go to "About Adguard" screen, then press "Send feedback" button. Describe the issue and send the message. Adguard will send its log file content (cut off at 1MB) along with the message.

Be aware that this beta-version writes log file to /sdcard/data/adguard.log and there's no size limit.

Restrictions

Please read carefully the information below.

1. Current beta-version has only "Local VPN" filtering mode. "Local HTTP proxy" will be available in the next beta-version.

2. "Local VPN" will not work on small part of 4.0.x и 4.4.x devices due to errors in implementation of VPN to firmware of these devices.

3. "Local VPN" will not work on some CyanogenMod and AOSP firmware due to the lack of VPN support.

4. Adguard for Android cannot filter secured (HTTPS) traffic.

5. Adguard for Android cannot filter Chrome and Opera if they compress traffic (because they use secured tunnel for compressed traffic).

Important note: if you cannot enable Adguard's protection please send a message from the app.

VPN support
Sometimes VPN support is removed from the firmware. This issue is often encountered by the owners of noname chinese devices. If you don't want to wait until the next beta version release (with proxy mode) you can try installing VPN module manually using this app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aed.tun.installer

Please read carefully the app description before doing anything.

UPD (Aug 13)

Version 1.0.178 will be available in an hour or two.
This version fixed one very important bug:

* Every filter update doubles the number of rules in the filter

Last edited by a moderator:

offguard

Beta Tester
Installed on OmniROM 4.4 and its working without a hassle. :cool:

I think It's not possible to connect to remote vpn in local vpn mode? Does it possible with upcoming 'proxy mode'?

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
m.ky3.com causes Google Chrome (Android stable version) to lock up when loading (loading is pretty slow).

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
m.ky3.com causes Google Chrome (Android stable version) to lock up when loading (loading is pretty slow).
Could you please reproduce the issue and then send the message from the app to our support?

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Done and done.

---------- Post added at 06:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 AM ----------

Found a site that don't load in Google Chrome, m.tmz.com so sending another report.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Doesn't load at all in the case of m.tmz.com but the other one eventually did after giving error messages in Chrome about not being able to load. Firefox can load it though. Will keep testing sites.

EDIT: Okay, linustechtips.com/main/ doesn't load in Firefox - just appears with the progress bar halfway and a blank page.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Is it slow just after starting Adguard protection or every time?
Cannot reproduce it.

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

m.tmz.com is ok for me too.

Boo, could you please try disabling Browsing Security module, restart the app, and try again?

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
That got the pages to load, however loading m.ky3.com causes Chrome to lag/freeze when trying to scroll on the page. Firefox? It loaded the page but I got a "Unfortunately, Adguard has stopped" crash message when trying to scroll there. That happened once, but didn't happen again.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That got the pages to load, however loading m.ky3.com causes Chrome to lag/freeze when trying to scroll on the page.
On my test device it lags without Adguard too.

Firefox? It loaded the page but I got a "Unfortunately, Adguard has stopped" crash message when trying to scroll there. That happened once, but didn't happen again.
Have you clicked "Report" button? We receive stack trace in Google Play in that case.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
UPD

Version 1.0.178 will be available in an hour or two.
This version fixed one very important bug:

* Every filter update doubles the number of rules in the filter

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Random crash happened again, submitted a report. This was after I did a clean install of a custom ROM replacing stock, and the m.ky3.com lag/freeze in Chrome still occurs too.

Accel

Beta Tester
Random crash happened again, submitted a report. This was after I did a clean install of a custom ROM replacing stock, and the m.ky3.com lag/freeze in Chrome still occurs too.
i tried that web.

it didn't crash on me using 24.7.1 Palemoon Android

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Good, thank you!

You're not alone with this crash.

What for m.ky3.com, try disabling all filters except Russian.
Filtering speed depends on the number of rules enabled, I want to check if the situation is better if you use 8K rules instead of 25K.