AdGuard for Android TV

Discussion in 'Discussion (Beta Versions)' started by Birraque, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Birraque

Birraque New Member

Hi AdGuard Team,

I have been Beta testing AdGuard on my Desktop (PC), Ultrabook (PC) and Smartphone (Android) in the last few months. That's a amazing software. #Rocks
    I bought this week a Xiaomi (Mi Box S) that runs Android TV 8.1 (Oreo) and I would like to know if you have plans to release a version of AdGuard that we can use it on Smart TV/TV Box (Android TV)? Count with me to test it also!

Xiaomi Mi Box S

Best Regards,

2. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

I have one of these Mi Box S boxes (along with a Nvidia Shield TV box), but in my testing it's not possible to get AG's certificate installed which is needed to get HTTPS filtering working. Without HTTPS filtering, AG for Android is practically useless on an Android TV box. And without any way to get the certificate installed, there's no point in releasing a compatible AG for Android version for Android TV boxes.

The only other viable alternatives are using AdGuard DNS or AdGuard Home on the Android TV box. It works, but AG DNS/AG Home can only block domains so some ads will still appear. It's probably as good as it's going to get unless there's some way to root these devices (unlikely though, as they have locked bootloaders).

3. Birraque

Birraque New Member

Hi Boo Berry.

Thanks for your prompt reply.
    I found both (DNS/Home) product information:

AdGuard DNS

AdGuard Home

Which one (DNS/Home) are you using in your Android TV Box(es)?

Regards,

4. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

I use AG Home running on a Raspberry Pi. It's best if AG Home runs on a device on your network 24/7, if you don't have that capability just use the DNS. :)

5. Birraque

Birraque New Member

Thank you!
    I will try and feedback later.

Regards,