Adguard for Maxthon

Discussion in 'Feature Requests (Browser Extensions)' started by Boo Berry, May 1, 2014.

1. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Yeah, it's one of those requests. :p Maxthon already has a built-in adblocker (Ad Hunter) but it's far from perfect. I'm actually not even sure if Maxthon's extension API could even handle an independent ad blocking extension or not. Maxthon's probably more close to Safari instead of Chrome since as far as I know it still uses Webkit and not Blink (I've heard rumors the next version may be based on Chromium like the Linux build is). At the very least, perhaps an extension could function basically as the Assistant (e.g. like the browser extensions do when Adguard for Windows is present).

Thoughts?

2. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Maxthon's extension API don't give a possibility to block HTTP requests.

We've asked maxthon developers about it and still waiting for response.

3. vvgNovanet

vvgNovanet Moderator Moderator

О яя. Я есть тоже очень хотеть расширение на макстон. ;)

--
    translation by avatar
    Me too. Want Maxthon extension very much. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2014
  4. cbr1100xxvanish

cbr1100xxvanish New Member

I'm using Maxthon 4.4.2.600 and will post on the Maxthon forum the question to see what answer I get. (done)

It would be nice but probably they will push the Maxthon own solution Adhunter, but that doesn't go that far.
    AdHunter isn't updated for a long time, sinds Maxthon 3, where it had more possibilities.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2014
  5. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Last time we've talked to Maxthon developers they were working on extending extensions API for us.
    That was 2 months ago, don't know how is it going now.

6. cbr1100xxvanish

cbr1100xxvanish New Member

http://forum.maxthon.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=11895&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D68%26typeid%3D68

From the Global Moderator:

"Hi, Thank you for this information. I'll forward your feedback to our product team for more follow up. Thanks again for your kindly support!"

and next

"I think you answered your own question there. Good to see that the adguard devs are willing to do it, but it seems that it hinges on the MX dev's updating their API. Which based on other posts it doesn't seem that it's something that is on the agenda. Unless the AdGuard devs are missing something... the ball is in Maxthon's court... "

7. Boo Berry

Oh, it's in their court. Seems to me they don't seem very willing to accommodate ad-blocking extensions so they can push their built-in Ad Hunter in Maxthon.

8. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

I dont think a ball is in play here, in fact i would be happy to say maxthon have forfeit the game.

Personally i dont see any reason why people should not be given the option of a, b, or c blocker sure they might want their own but from a 5 minute search on adhunter i read it does not work properly and needs to be updated so why not let devs who are more focused on one thing develop something better? Seems like they are shooting themselfs in the foot unless they just want full control s they can let certain ads though? :/

9. Boo Berry

They're supposed to be releasing a private beta version soon, with perhaps a redesigned Ad Hunter and hopefully expanded extensions APIs. Me, I disable Ad Hunter as best as I can when using Maxthon.

10. fokemon

fokemon New Member

any news ?

11. Boo Berry

It's probably not doable now, possibly due to Maxthon including Adblock Plus. I'd just disable AdHunter/Adblock Plus and use Adguard for Windows with Maxthon.