[AdGuard for Windows] Beta version 6.0.67.364

Status
Not open for further replies.

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Finally, my another question regarding tranlation.
I am translator, but I dont seeing AdGuard for Windows on available projects.
What should I do?
I have granted you access to Adguard 6 section on OneSkyApp, check it out!

rickyoh

Beta Tester
"Hide you User-Agent" in the miscellaneous section of stealth mode does not seem to work, visiting
Code:
http://www.whatsmyua.com/
shows my legit user-agent rather than the spoofed one.

also would it be possible to have a user-agent builder in the custom user-agent field ? since user-agent strings can be broken down into components, it would be convenient if an option was given to select from a list of components what you'd like your user-agent to be. so if you wanted to change the platform component from windows to osx you'd select the osx platform string from a dropdown menu.

Last edited by a moderator:

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
A quick question to finish, how does compare Easylist+EasyPrivacy vs Adguard English default list? do I need both?
Deafault English filter should be enough compared to Easylist. EasyPrivacy can be substituted with built-in StealthMode module. Of course you are free to choose whatever you like more, though. Using both is a little bit of an overkill, if you ask me.

rickyoh

Beta Tester
inconsisitent behaviour(the sub-menu does not open sometimes) when trying to open the "Logging level" sub-menu under the "Advanced" menu from the Adguard tray icon:

in my case, the best way to reproduce this behaviour would be to double click on Adguards icon in the tray, try accessing the "Logging level" sub-menu from the tray.

l0rdraiden

Beta Tester
Deafault English filter should be enough compared to Easylist. EasyPrivacy can be substituted with built-in StealthMode module. Of course you are free to choose whatever you like more, though. Using both is a little bit of an overkill, if you ask me.
It shouldn't be irrelevant? I thought that adguard worked as ublock which only uses only the non duplicated items, so if the items in your filter and in Easylist are 98% the same it will only use the 2% of entries of Easylist, not adding a huge processing effort, if the lists added are mostly duplicated. How does really work Adguard?

Does the stealth mode replace completely EasyPrivacy and it doesn't rely on a black list? or there is something that Easyprivacy can block that the stealth mode can't?

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
It shouldn't be irrelevant? I thought that adguard worked as ublock which only uses only the non duplicated items, so if the items in your filter and in Easylist are 98% the same it will only use the 2% of entries of Easylist, not adding a huge processing effort, if the lists added are mostly duplicated. How does really work Adguard?
The English Filter is more-or-less EasyList + some additional rules. No, there's no feature in place to prevent duplicated rules (currently, at least) between filter subscriptions. I'm not even sure if this would be viable for Adguard for Windows as it's not a browser extension. Having duplicate detection may not even lessen resource usage - in fact having such a feature actively scanning the list might increase it. Thinking about it, the resource usage from using multiple subscriptions with duplicates may be negligible at best. This can probably easily be tested by enabling multiple subscriptions with duplicates and testing some websites and looking at Adguard's resource usage when enabling/disabling multiple subscriptions to measure any differences.

Does the stealth mode replace completely EasyPrivacy and it doesn't rely on a black list? or there is something that Easyprivacy can block that the stealth mode can't?
Stealth Mode should work on every website as it doesn't rely on filtering rules like EasyPrivacy does.

hanschke

Beta Tester & Translator
Yes this has happened to me updating in win 10
Tried everything but no success
Been told to do a manual uninstall
I like I tried that and they did not work too
I can confirm this too that the uninstall and install again dont work

agasoft

Beta Tester
Hi again,
I noticed missing of "add exclusion" option in Ad blocker.
I thought that its my falt, but when I translated the client, I didn't found this option.
Is this permanent removal or it will apeer later?

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi again,
I noticed missing of "add exclusion" option in Ad blocker.
I thought that its my falt, but when I translated the client, I didn't found this option.
Is this permanent removal or it will apeer later?
Hi! No, we decided to remove it. You can either add website to exclusions using Assistant on the webiste, or add the necessary rule manually to User filter.

---------- Post added at 13:57 ---------- Previous post was at 13:55 ----------

@Boo pretty much aced it. I can only add that we check for duplicate rules if you use something like English filter + Easylists, so it won't cause the increase of resourse usage.

l0rdraiden

Beta Tester
Hi! No, we decided to remove it. You can either add website to exclusions using Assistant on the webiste, or add the necessary rule manually to User filter.

---------- Post added at 13:57 ---------- Previous post was at 13:55 ----------

@Boo pretty much aced it. I can only add that we check for duplicate rules if you use something like English filter + Easylists, so it won't cause the increase of resourse usage.
Ok, understood, still not clear to me if Easyprivacy would be a complement to the Stealth mode, or if the Stealth mode is enable Easyprivacy is useless.
In case it is a complement, I guess your english filter doesn't include privacy filters and then the question is why don't you have a privacy filter list as well?

Regarding performance, isn't bad, but I think the Disk I/O and consumption could be improved. I prefer to have everything loaded in RAM than requiring to the hard disk to operate.

agasoft

Beta Tester
Do the removal of adding site exclusions, I tried to edit user filter, because I need to set 2-3 pages to be excluded. This removal is step backward for me. Filter editor is now not accessible for my screen reader program. I can only list the filter, but cound not find edit or something similar.
Now wondering, how to exclude some sites.

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Not sure where to see assistant.
Maybe I can't see it do the limitations on my side.
Is it enabled in Extensions menu in Adguard? If yes, it normally should be in the right-bottom corner of a webpage.

---------- Post added at 17:47 ---------- Previous post was at 17:38 ----------

Check updates, Support, License and About open the main GUI in the background. It is pointless.
It is much easier to do it that way rather than create a separate window for each of them. And, honestly, I have never met a person who is bothered by current layout before.

---------- Post added at 17:56 ---------- Previous post was at 17:47 ----------

Do the removal of adding site exclusions, I tried to edit user filter, because I need to set 2-3 pages to be excluded. This removal is step backward for me. Filter editor is now not accessible for my screen reader program. I can only list the filter, but cound not find edit or something similar.
Now wondering, how to exclude some sites.
To edit filter rule, just open filter editor (right-click on Adguard icon in tray -> Tools -> Filter editor) and double click the rule you want to modify.

To exclude a website, again, either use Assistant on the website or manually add the rule to User filter (you may find this useful: http://adguard.com/filterrules.html

agasoft

Beta Tester
@Vasily Its enabled and probably located there, however, I could not find it...
Rule editor is not accessible too much for me.
Maybe will be useful to add some shortcut for assistant while I am on the page, for example alt+f12, or something, if technicly possible.
Simply, I am seeing only webpage with my speach program from top to bottom, but not assistant.

pegas

Beta Tester
It is much easier to do it that way rather than create a separate window for each of them. And, honestly, I have never met a person who is bothered by current layout before.
You didn't understand me. I don't want separate windows. I meant that the main GUI is opened beneath the Check updates, Support, License and About windows. So when I close, for instance Check updates window, I have to close also the main GUI window. Why the main GUI window is opened in the background together with the said 4 options? The main GUI window is redundant in these cases. That's my point.

snap.PNG

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I was looking at the beta yesterday and I miss some of these list (I know you can add them manually but it would be nice to have them by default)
https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/307

I would like to see as well the number of items in a list, the items being used, the duplicated ones and the number of blocks that each list produces, this should appear in the panel where the active lists are. And the same but with global numbers (all lists) in Main screen.
https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/308

A quick question to finish, how does compare Easylist+EasyPrivacy vs Adguard English default list? do I need both?
Adguard English list is a fork of the Easylist. What for EasyPrivacy, you can use it or switch to Adguard's spyware filter, they are alike (but not the same).

---------- Post added 27-09-2015 at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was 26-09-2015 at 11:54 PM ----------

"Hide you User-Agent" in the miscellaneous section of stealth mode does not seem to work, visiting
Code:
http://www.whatsmyua.com/
shows my legit user-agent rather than the spoofed one.
That's strange, it should work. Anyway we'll check it:
https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/310

UPD: I know what's the problem. It's not enough to change the header, we should deal with it on javascript-level too (as that page takes information from navigator.userAgent javascript object).

also would it be possible to have a user-agent builder in the custom user-agent field ? since user-agent strings can be broken down into components, it would be convenient if an option was given to select from a list of components what you'd like your user-agent to be. so if you wanted to change the platform component from windows to osx you'd select the osx platform string from a dropdown menu.
Huh, it's too much for this feature.

If you want to not simply switch UA, but to change it to specified platform/device or such it's better to use specialized browser extension like this one:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/user-agent-switcher/ffhkkpnppgnfaobgihpdblnhmmbodake

---------- Post added at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

No, there's no feature in place to prevent duplicated rules (currently, at least) between filter subscriptions.
Duplicated rules are ignored. It's just too obvious to be a "feature":).

But anyway having two big similar lists enabled will increase resource usage a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.