AdGuard for Windows: Mobile Ads Filter 1.0.4.30 breaks a lot of scripts and pages

I enabled the mobile ads filter on my Windows 10 system (I use a bunch of UWP apps and figured it couldn't hurt) ... well, I was wrong about the last part.

It took me a while to find the culprit but it appears to break quite a few scripts on desktop pages, examples:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3021904/opensource-subnet/9-linux-distros-to-keep-an-eye-on-in-2016.html#slide5

Slideshow does not work with Mobile Ads Filter enabled.

https://society6.com/tshirts

Clicking a shirt does nothing with Mobile Ads Filer enabled.

It also seems to significantly slow down some Javascript heavy pages like Reddit + Reddit Enhancement Suite.
 

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
Moderator
Can't reproduce here on both sites.
Which browser do you use?

Please also list your filters and which Adguard version exactly.
 
Chrome 52.0.2743.82 (64-bit) + AdGuard Beta 6.1.242.1198 + Mobile Ads Filter 1.0.4.30 + https filtering enabled

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm using the beta version of AdGuard, I believe that stable was also affected but I might be wrong.
 

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
Moderator
So you only have Mobile filter active and nothing else at all? English filter should be active as those are English sites.
 
I can't reproduce it on Firefox, but Edge 38.14393.0.0 is also affected by the same bug. Disabling the mobile ads filter makes it work again.

And I have the English, German, Russian, Annoyances, Adblock Warning Removal, Anti-Adblock Killer filters enabled.

I toggled each, one by one to find the culprit - only disabling Mobile Ads filter fixes the issue. Toggling any of the others has no effect.
 

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
Moderator
Just enabled only your filters and no issue in my Chrome. It seems to be an issue either with some rule in User filter or a Windows 10 issue only.
 
Do you have https blocking enabled and no exclusion for sites with EV certificates? (shouldn't matter much in PC world's case, though) Are you on AdGuard 6.1.242.1198 (again, maybe this is simply a beta bug)?

My user filter consists exclusively of whitelist entries for a dozen websites, nothing else.

I just disabled all of my filters (including the user filter) with the exception of the "Mobile Ads Filter", even disabled all extensions and the bug is still 100% reproducible in both Chrome and Edge. Stealth mode and other advanced features are disabled entirely.

Go to the slideshow on http://www.pcworld.com/article/3021904/opensource-subnet/9-linux-distros-to-keep-an-eye-on-in-2016.html and try to click "Next" and nothing happens, go to https://society6.com/tshirts and try to buy a t-shirt and nothing happens. In both the latest versions of Chrome and Edge! In Firefox, only https://society6.com/tshirts is broken, pcworld.com slideshows are functional with and without the filter.

Disable the "Mobile Ads Filter" and everything works fine again, in all browsers. I'm 99% sure this is a bug and this should be entirely reproducible, no idea why you're unable to do so.
 

SlowMemory

Beta Tester
Reproduced with English filter + Social filter + Mobile Ads filter.
But if I enable Spyware filter, the problem disappears.
I guess it has something to do with broken JS loaders, but have no time to investigate further..
 

avatar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Mobile ads filter blocks some popular trackers. However, it could break some sites without exceptions rules from the spyware filter.
 
Mobile ads filter blocks some popular trackers. However, it could break some sites without exceptions rules from the spyware filter.
I don't think tracker blocking is what's happening here. It's breaking certain scripts that really shouldn't be affected.

I really think this should be investigated further and not be dismissed with "simply enable the spyware filter". If one filter requires the exception rules of another why aren't those exception rules part of both filters? Why is the user not informed about this entirely unexpected dependency?

This is an easily reproducible bug, please investigate further.
 

avatar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I don't think tracker blocking is what's happening here. It's breaking certain scripts that really shouldn't be affected.
That's exactly what happens here, some scripts are broken because of the blocked trackers.

Script is trying to use Google Analytics javascript API, which is absent as google analytics is blocked.
 

Alex302

Filters Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Added to Mobile filter:
Code:
@@||b.scorecardresearch.com/r$domain=macworld.com|elmundo.es|pcworld.com|seattletimes.com|ancestry.com|ancestry.co.uk|ancestry.ca|ancestry.de|ancestry.it|ancestry.fr|ancestry.se|ancestry.mx
@@||scorecardresearch.com/r$image,domain=billetnet.dk|billettservice.no|lippupalvelu.fi|pcworld.com|techhive.com|ticketmaster.ae|ticketmaster.co.uk|ticketmaster.de|ticketmaster.ie|ticketmaster.nl|ticnet.se|wsj.com
@@||googletagmanager.com/gtm.js$domain=society6.com
@@||google-analytics.com/analytics.js$domain=society6.com
@@||google-analytics.com/plugins/ua/ec.js$domain=society6.com
Added to Spyware filter:
Code:
@@||googletagmanager.com/gtm.js$domain=society6.com
@@||google-analytics.com/analytics.js$domain=society6.com
@@||google-analytics.com/plugins/ua/ec.js$domain=society6.com
Please, check the result.
 
Top