[AdGuard for Windows] v6.1.326.1705 RC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShakedBenratzon

I just feel like you do not have any more passion for developing AdGuard and here are the reasons:
1. AdGuard Assistant 4.0 still in the same state.
2. Fewer updates.
3. There are many bugs, for example, no icon for Vivaldi browser on adGuard Moreover JW Player Ads are not blocking by AdGuard I can only hide them but the voice is still there.
4. Crashes and slowdowns on Edge browser when AdGuard is running.
I am using the latest version with AdGuard extension on Vivaldi Browser.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
@avatar or @vasily_bagirov can and probably will answer these better. ;)

1. From what I can tell, Adguard Assistant 4.0 development has progressed quite a bit, but it may not be ready for release yet (is it coming during the Adguard for Windows 6.2 cycle? I'll assume for this post it is).
2. Even though update cycles have gaps between them, that doesn't mean development has stopped - far from it. Behind the scenes there's active development of new features in Adguard for Windows, Adguard for Mac, Adguard for Android, Adguard for iOS and the Adguard Adblocker browser extensions for Chrome/Opera/Vivaldi/Firefox/Edge/Safari. We're also still (exiting) the 6.1 cycle, so major features already landed - it's just bug fixes, small additions and lots of polish with these R1/R2/R3 builds. The 6.2 cycle will introduce new feature, including (hopefully) Adguard Assistant 4.0 and the Adguard Sync feature.
3. The icon (assuming Adguard Assistant in Adguard for Windows) works fine in both Vivaldi Stable and Vivaldi Snapshot here. Something's not right with your setup causing the Assistant to not appear in Vivaldi, because I assure you it does. You might want to create a new topic about this issue (if you haven't already).
4. No issues with Edge and Adguard for Windows here, except with Edge still being a poor performing browser - it's painfully easy to recreate performance lags, lockups and crashes in Edge, even without running Adguard for Windows. It's VERY apparent when trying to open multiple tabs at once in Edge (like 15+). I mean Edge is still pretty terrible compared to Chrome, Vivaldi, Opera and Firefox using e10s and multiple content processes. IMO, Edge is still a beta and lacks simple things, like a bookmarks... err, favorites manager. I actually have to use an external program to manage favorites in Edge. And don't get me started on the forced smooth scrolling, ugh!

You're using the extension? As in the Adguard Adblocker browser extension for Chrome/Opera/Vivaldi? That works fine too (including the Adguard icon appearing in the extension bar next to the search/address bar in Vivaldi), as I use it in Vivaldi Stable on Arch Linux and Ubuntu.

Regarding Moreover JW Player Ads, have you tried reporting them and the sites/URLs in the Missed Ads section? I'm sure Alex/Blaz/Sean will take care of them for you. Otherwise, there's no way of knowing about such ads without reports - there's usually no universal way to dealing with ads like this, sadly.

You can view the features, fixes, etc. of the upcoming Adguard for Windows 6.2 milestone here: https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/milestone/6

Also you can view the features, fixes, etc. of the upcoming Adguard Assistant 4.0 here: https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/milestone/4

ShakedBenratzon

@avatar or @vasily_bagirov can and probably will answer these better. ;)

1. From what I can tell, Adguard Assistant 4.0 development has progressed quite a bit, but it may not be ready for release yet (is it coming during the Adguard for Windows 6.2 cycle? I'll assume for this post it is).
2. Even though update cycles have gaps between them, that doesn't mean development has stopped - far from it. Behind the scenes there's active development of new features in Adguard for Windows, Adguard for Mac, Adguard for Android, Adguard for iOS and the Adguard Adblocker browser extensions for Chrome/Opera/Vivaldi/Firefox/Edge/Safari. We're also still (exiting) the 6.1 cycle, so major features already landed - it's just bug fixes, small additions and lots of polish with these R1/R2/R3 builds. The 6.2 cycle will introduce new feature, including (hopefully) Adguard Assistant 4.0 and the Adguard Sync feature.
3. The icon (assuming Adguard Assistant in Adguard for Windows) works fine in both Vivaldi Stable and Vivaldi Snapshot here. Something's not right with your setup causing the Assistant to not appear in Vivaldi, because I assure you it does. You might want to create a new topic about this issue (if you haven't already).
4. No issues with Edge and Adguard for Windows here, except with Edge still being a poor performing browser - it's painfully easy to recreate performance lags, lockups and crashes in Edge, even without running Adguard for Windows. It's VERY apparent when trying to open multiple tabs at once in Edge (like 15+). I mean Edge is still pretty terrible compared to Chrome, Vivaldi, Opera and Firefox using e10s and multiple content processes. IMO, Edge is still a beta and lacks simple things, like a bookmarks... err, favorites manager. I actually have to use an external program to manage favorites in Edge. And don't get me started on the forced smooth scrolling, ugh!

You're using the extension? As in the Adguard Adblocker browser extension for Chrome/Opera/Vivaldi? That works fine too (including the Adguard icon appearing in the extension bar next to the search/address bar in Vivaldi), as I use it in Vivaldi Stable on Arch Linux and Ubuntu.

Regarding Moreover JW Player Ads, have you tried reporting them and the sites/URLs in the Missed Ads section? I'm sure Alex/Blaz/Sean will take care of them for you. Otherwise, there's no way of knowing about such ads without reports - there's usually no universal way to dealing with ads like this, sadly.

You can view the features, fixes, etc. of the upcoming Adguard for Windows 6.2 milestone here: https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/milestone/6

Also you can view the features, fixes, etc. of the upcoming Adguard Assistant 4.0 here: https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/milestone/4
Thanks for your help I will do as you advice me

but for the icon I mean there are a list of browsers on the AdGuard program that enabled AdGuard for Vivaldi there is no icon (Fillter app on settings)

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@ShakedBenratzon
These are some legit complaints, but it is not because the dev team has suddenly lost passion. There are periods when updates are frequent, and there are periods when they are more rare. That's rather normal to me. Boo has already covered it. Bugs are plenty, but even more plenty are fixed bugs. If you'd go to GitHub and look at the closed tasks, you'd see a lot of them in the last months. Fixed bugs do not always immediately translate into new versions.

Edge browser problems are what we've been working on lately, and we haven't stopped.

for the icon I mean there are a list of browsers on the AdGuard program that enabled AdGuard for Vivaldi there is no icon (Fillter app on settings)
Currently, these icons are preset. I issued a feature request about it: https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/1585

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Edge browser problems are what we've been working on lately, and we haven't stopped.
A bit off-topic, but Edge is a total disappointment compared to other "modern" browsers in my opinion. Like Internet Explorer it's plagued with terrible performance issues (bad lags, tab lockups/crashes, lags when clicking between tabs, graphical issues, etc. and I have high-end hardware!), especially when opening multiple (like 15+) tabs. Chrome and Firefox (with e10s enabled + multiple content processes) is so, so much better in terms of performance than Edge. It's because of those performance issues, in addition to a total lack of features like a favorites manager (e.g. you can't even edit URLs of favorites inside the browser!) and the forced smooth scrolling without an option to disable it just irks me incredibly.

It doesn't surprise me there's issues with Adguard and Edge (not just the TCP Fast Open BSOD thing) either. There's some sites, where it looks like they're serving different/altered code to Edge versus Chrome and Firefox - Outlook and Gmail are examples of this. That's likely why some filter rules which work in Chrome and Firefox, don't work in Edge because the website code might be different/altered when using Edge. Maybe it's some sort of legacy code type of thing leftover from Internet Explorer sites are serving to Edge? Very mind boggling indeed.

Doesn't look like Edge is going to get any better there in terms of my main complaints with the Creator's Update. It's sad that Microsoft wants to push Edge, but it lacks the fundamentals!

/rant

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I know for a fact that @avatar is, or at least was of a somewhat high opinion about Edge browser. If he finds a minute, it'd be interesting to hear his point of view.

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
I noticed Eset has finally updated the business version Eset Endpoint Security and it contains a new WFP driver according to file details. Hopefully they did include the required changes for the BSOD issue.

EDIT: Reverted to previous version. A lot of programs didn't start.

Last edited:

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
And it looks like it's a very good build indeed. Probably the most stable version yet. ;)

Phonemes

Hi,

Just installed this latest version but I can't enable protection. The Adguard icon shows a red exclamation mark and when I try to enable protection it turns green but switches off again almost instantly. When I open the program, it warns: "Can't enable the protection". I also noticed that stealth mode was disabled and I do not recall doing that myself. Any ideas?

Edit:
Tried reinstalling the certificate, but that fails with the message: "Cannot start driver filtering".

Last edited:

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
And it looks like it's a very good build indeed. Probably the most stable version yet. ;)
I jinxed it! The BSOD issue is back for KIS/ESET users and the funny part is it's because of a single line change between the 322 test build and 323. If you're using KIS/ESET hold back on updating until the next build is out!

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
Just noticed there is another update, build 1701.

UPD: build 6.1.323 was replaced with 6.1.324 in order to resolve important compatibility issue.

Last edited:

Pentlands

Beta Tester
I'm having the same issue as Phonemes in post #52 above, after updating to version 6.1.324.1701 i cannot enable protection. The only difference being that i don't/didn't have Stealth Mode enabled.

Windows 7 Professional x64, IE11.

If it helps, I've filed a bug report with the diagnostic report included using the "Report a problem" option that becomes available when Adguard flags "Can't enable the protection".

Pentlands

Beta Tester
Yes, the Adguard service is running, plus task manager reports the adguard.exe & adguardSvc.exe as both running as well.

I've just uninstalled Adguard (including settings) and after restarting my PC re-installed Adguard with 6.1.324.1701 and I'm still unable to enable protection.

I'm wondering if this is an issue at the Adguard server end rather than on my PC?

KNAPPI

Yes, the Adguard service is running, plus task manager reports the adguard.exe & adguardSvc.exe as both running as well.

I've just uninstalled Adguard (including settings) and after restarting my PC re-installed Adguard with 6.1.324.1701 and I'm still unable to enable protection.

I'm wondering if this is an issue at the Adguard server end rather than on my PC?
I have the same error

Status
Not open for further replies.