AdGuard for Windows v6.4.1814

Discussion in 'Release Notes (AdGuard for Windows)' started by Karina, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Karina

Karina Administrator Staff Member Administrator

This version makes a strong accent on the Networking issues. This doesn’t mean everything else was abandoned, on the contrary, there’s been a lot of ad blocking- and UI-related fixes and improvements, just the network-related fixes happened to be the most important ones. Oh, but let’s also not forget about the improved popup blocker!

[Fixed] Unrelated TCP connections get reset when starting AdGuard service #2291

AdGuard needs to reset connections when it starts/restarts its service in order to properly filter them. What AdGuard doesn't have to do is to reset connections that it is not going to filter anyway. So from now on, it won't do it, as simple as that.

[Fixed] Avast Free prevents AdGuard from suppressing QUIC #2310

The current way of whitelisting apps from filtering for WFP driver has been extended to TDI driver. It allows to avoid compatibility issues with other software, especially with antivirus software.

[Improved] TLS version has been upgraded #2337

Up to this moment we were using a draft of TLS 1.3 technology (#2155), as we always want to be at the cutting edge. Now, as TLS 1.3 standard was officially accepted by IETF, we are happy to say that AdGuard supports the most modern encrypting standards.

[Improved] Popup Blocker has been updated to v2.5 #2295

Popup Blocker is an extension (userscript) that is added to AdGuard by default. As it’s clear from its name, it helps block various popup windows (most of which are all kinds of ads). It’s been around forever, but the new version for the first time features its own UI accessable from “Extensions” settings tab. You can whitelist websites there or disable notifications for certain websites. The blocking capabilities have been improved too, of course.
    popup.jpeg

popup2.jpeg

[Changed] TLS 1.2 is used by default if Avast is detected #2368

As we’ve said earlier, TLS 1.3 is the current standard, but some antiviruses still use v1.2, notably Avast. We would like to completely switch to v1.3 but have to take this into consideration.

[Fixed] Application update resets Assistant settings and restores deleted extensions #2365

There won’t be enough fingers combined on the hands of all people in our office to count the number of times users complained about this issue. One of our current priorities is to make the process of updating AdGuard as smooth as possible, and certainly preserving users’ settings is a big step in that direction.

Ad Blocking

• [Fixed] Duplicate EV certificate messages #2282
    • [Fixed] Twitch desktop app is not filtered #2289
    • [Fixed] PopupBlocker is not updated alongside AG update #2354
    • [Improved] Popup Blocker updated to v2.5 #2295
    • [Improved] Popup Blocker extension has been updated to v2.5.8 #2351
    • [Improved] Custom filters URL parsing #2280
    • [Improved] URL exclusion blocking rules are now created with important modifier by default #2305
    Networking
    • [Changed] AdGuard now asks for a reboot after TDI driver update on Windows 7 #2364
    • [Fixed] Firefox 64-bit handshake issues with some domains #2347
    • [Fixed] QUIC v44 is not blocked properly #2335
    • [Improved] AdGuard now checks on installation if the TDI driver is not registered yet #2321
    UI
    • [Changed] Clickable area for “Close” button for AdGuard notification has been increased on Windows 7 #2319
    • [Changed] Highlighting color for the whitelisted requests in Filtering Log #2358
    • [Fixed] AdGuard remembers the last displayed settings tab after closing #2317
    • [Fixed] The Assistant icon appears in full-screen mode on YouTube and Twitch #2309
    • [Fixed] Move the assistant icon back to the right corner #2314
    • [Fixed] Duplicate EV certificate messages #2282
    • [Fixed] "Hide your referer" checkbox state is not transmitted properly to web reporting tool #2286
    • [Fixed] Duplicate "Trial is expiring" message #2287
    • [Fixed] AdGuard fails to start service #2339
    • [Fixed] Crash on multiple tray icon clicks right after the installation #2340
    • [Fixed] "Service failure" tile and "Trial expired" tile appear simultaneously #2342
    • [Fixed] Crash upon opening the Filtering Log #2346
    • [Fixed] Update AG icon to high-resolution version #2341
    • [Improved] Suppress the Alt-Svc header #2343
    Other
    • [Fixed] AdguardSvc process memory leak #2114
    • [Fixed] Crash while closing from tray #2252
    • [Fixed] Crash after auto-update on the application startup on Windows 7 #2290
    • [Fixed] An error while parsing the userscript metadata #2311
    • [Improved] A privacy-friendly protocol is now used for the parental control web service #2316
    • [Improved] Localizations have been updated, new languages have been added (Slovenian, Czech, Belarusian) #2361

This version on GitHub
    Download

2. Purple Tentacle

Purple Tentacle Member

:( ... I don't know if it's this Update, the near-simultaneous update to Chrome 71 (beta) or a change in Youtube itself but: Youtube is now no longer ad-free for me.

I keep getting ads that are interrupting the videos and I haven't seen those in Windows in forever.

3. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

QUIC in Chrome enabled? If so, try disabling it and try again.

4. Purple Tentacle

Purple Tentacle Member

It isn't explicitly. Well, it's still set to default in chrome://flags - it's certainly possible that Chrome 71 enables it by default now, but I haven't found any info on that.
    Instead of fiddling with Chrome flags I'm giving uBlock Origin a try - it hasn't really changed much over the years but is working flawlessly.

5. Boo Berry

Google's beginning to change how ads on YouTube are served. From what I've seen they're starting to embed them within the video streams themselves (and/or loading them from the same domains the videos are loaded from), which will likely make blocking ads on YouTube impossible eventually. And if you attempt to block the ads, you'll end up blocking the whole video stream. Right now, blocking YouTube ads seems to be working for AdGuard for Windows and AdGuard for Mac for most users but I have started seeing posts from users where YouTube ad blocking stops working. In your case, you might try disabling QUIC in Chrome 71, as there's a chance QUIC blocking broke again (or an antivirus, like Avast, is causing QUIC blocking from not working).

That said, I think it's a matter of time until all ad blockers completely become ineffective at blocking YouTube ads. What I think Google is doing is setting it up where no video ads on YouTube can be blocked, forcing users who hate seeing those ads into getting YouTube Premium subscriptions.

6. Purple Tentacle

Purple Tentacle Member

There is no 3rd party Antivirus on this machine, never has - Windows Defender on Windows 10 has become sufficiently competitive and secure within the last couple of years. There is nothing that would or should interfere with QUIC blocking.

This also isn't some A/B testing for "non-blockabled ads" Google may be running.
    The simple facts are: after upgrading to Chrome 71 (beta) and AdGuard for Windows v6.4.1814 (both released and upgraded to near-simultaneously), Youtube in-video ad-blocking stopped working. After fully disabling and shutting down AdGuard for Windows and enabling uBlock Origin, Youtube is entirely ad-free again.

This may be a QUIC issue, if so it isn't caused by 3rd party applications. These are not fully stream-embedded ads that can't be blocked - for the simple fact that only AdGuard for Windows Premium fails to do so while uBlock Origin blocks them without issue.

7. Boo Berry

Another random thought that came to mind is the YouTube app Chrome installs by default. This also has caused issues in the past but I admit this one is a bit of a longshot. Nonetheless, if you're willing to try this and see if it's causing it, you can go to chrome://apps and remove/uninstall the bundled YouTube app from there. One other thing, if QUIC is behind this, you can try going to chrome://net-internals#quic and then opening YouTube and see if any QUIC connections appear there. It's worth noting that at least in Chrome 72 chrome://net-internals has been removed.

But I just tried Chrome Canary (which is running Chrome 72 dev) and YouTube ad blocking is working there.

Odd.

8. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

First of all, try rebooting the computer. I know it sounds weird, but it might be necessary.

Second, I'd like to know more about your current configuration, AV specifically?

9. Boo Berry

Windows Defender, which is what @Purple Tentacle mentioned above.

10. Purple Tentacle

Purple Tentacle Member

Ok, I think I found the source of the issue:

"Do not filter websites with EV certificates"

Something has changed either on Google's end, with the release of AdGuard 6.4.1814 or with Chrome 71 - but as long as this feature is enabled, Youtube videos are full of ads. This wasn't an issue before, everything worked fine with the EV exclusion enabled before.
    Simply adding youtube.com to the exclusion list isn't entirely sufficient, although ... maybe, I have seen the yellow bars but no ads actually appeared since.

11. Boo Berry

Perhaps the googlevideo.com domain, which is where videos (and ads) are served from, is using an EV certificate now? Though probably not, as youtube.com or google.com doesn't appear to be using one.

Odd.

12. Purple Tentacle

Purple Tentacle Member

No idea, but it's 100% reproducible on my end:
    EV exclusion on: Youtube has ads. EV exclusion off: Youtube is ad free again.

But I was wrong before my edit: Adding Youtube.com to the EV exception list seems to fix the issue (it just took a couple of reloads).

I don't remember being warned that it uses an EV certificate, but the EV popups are so annoying and useless at the time of notification that it's easy to zone them out. And there is no history to revisit them.

13. Cister

Cister New Member

For me, Adgard 6.4 is working fine on Youtube with QUIC Protocol disabled on Chrome 70, but not if enabled.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  14. Purple Tentacle

Purple Tentacle Member

Nope, nevermind ... ads are back.

I'll try to add googlevideo.com to the exceptions as suggested but I don't have much hope. Something funky is going on here.

15. TheHasagi

TheHasagi Quality Assurance / Support Commando Staff Member Administrator Moderator

@Purple Tentacle

Hello!

Do you saw same as this notification while visiting youtube?
    [​IMG]

Is there any changes if you switch WFP/TDI driver (AdGuard - Settings - Network - Use WFP enable/disable)?

16. Purple Tentacle

Purple Tentacle Member

I don't know; I don't believe so.

I still believe that the current solution to EV notifications is simply utterly terrible and anti-user UI: The notifications are mandatory, constant and annoying to the point where the user simply zones them out. And they come at the wrong time as well, by the time one knows if a domain is worth filtering, one has to dig deep through Windows 10's notification history.

Why on earth don't you keep a short history of EV sites inside the app for easy blacklisting? And stop showing the pointless notifications?

Well, back to my issue:

QUIC appears to have absolutely nothing to do with the issue: Even after forcing it off inside chrome://flags I have seen Youtube video-ads with EV filter enabled and youtube.com and googlevideo.com blacklisted inside the EV settings, albeit much fewer than before.

I have disabled EV-filtering entirely for now (although I'm not feeling good about that), I did whitelist my online banking sites. I haven't seen an ad since. I still think the issue lies with the EV filter, but I still can't be sure.

EDIT: Nope, not the EV filter either ... at least not entirely. Ads keep sneaking through.

I'm using the WFP driver, by the way. Never had an issue with that. I don't really feel like rebooting to switch to an outdated driver model at the moment.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  17. TheHasagi

TheHasagi Quality Assurance / Support Commando Staff Member Administrator Moderator

@Purple Tentacle

I'm unable to reproduce this issue. Can we try TV (TeamViewer) session so I can figure out what's wrong?

18. Purple Tentacle

Purple Tentacle Member

Sure, I was just able to reproduce the issue again. It just happens to be 1am here.

19. Purple Tentacle

Purple Tentacle Member

@TheHasagi

Again, I'm more than willing to help and demonstrate the issue via TeamViewer. Please, just get in contact with me.

20. Flipmode

Flipmode New Member

Really, really, really regret upgrading...
    Always getting this ridiculous error about "Family Protection" (does not exist!) and "Parental Filter Restrictions" (does not exist!)!!! Brand new computer - i7 8700 w/ Win 10 x64 v1803. No A/V or firewall. No hosts changes. Win Defender disabled.

Uninstalled and selected yes to removing settings. Installed latest stable (same version AdGuard 6.4.1814.exe). All config and filters still installed and selected, so no settings or configuration data was wiped! Even after uninstall, it shows the SAME message w/ no AdGuard service, no extensions, nothing. Even if I install the standard AdGuard limited extension. Nothing changes!!
    Excellent!

After removal it still occurs. Check browser extensions. Check DNS settings (9.9.9.9 + 1.1.1.1). Where the WTF is this bear coming from???
    Any ideas? Hmm o_O
    Maybe I should try a portable version of Firefox instead of Yandex Browser...?

Family protection
    [​IMG]
    We blocked this page because of parental filter restrictions.

You're trying to reach a website listed by AdGuard as inappropriate for kids.
    If you’re an adult then you can switch off parental control in the settings or add this website to the whitelist.

More information

[ Go back ]
    [ Send feedback ]

Report about example.net
    This website is safe!
    The website is safe to visit according to our data. If you want to block ads on this website, you need AdGuard.