AdGuard GUI won't start with Windows 10 Anniversary Update

denniz

Hi, previously I had no problems with AdGuard, but since I did a fresh install of the Windows 10 Anniversary Update the Adguard GUI won't start. The notification icon is not visible and double clicking the desktop shortcut does nothing. Yet in the Windows Task Manager I do see AdGuard running. Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't help, restarting the pc also doesn't help. No error messages are shown either.

steve1209

Beta Tester
No Problem here with Win 10 X64 V1607 (AKA Anniversary Update) and most current Adguard Version, both working perfectly for me!!

denniz

The only error in the Event Viewer regarding AdGuard is: A TDI filter (\Driver\adgnetworktdidrv) was detected. This filter has not been certified by Microsoft and may cause system instability.

But a far as I know this error was present is previous versions of Windows as well. I attached the log files.

Attachments

denniz

It also seems that adguard.exe is continuously using between 13 and 25% CPU when I check with Task Manager, it doesn't matter whether there's a browser open or not.

And each time I double click the AdGuard desktop shortcut a new instance of adguard.exe is opened as a background process, but still no GUI visible. Each new instance is also using the same amount of CPU time.

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@denniz ok so looks like we need Adguard.exe process dump file. Adguard.svc dump is insufficient.

@stoneyc can you please give more details on your problem? What is your Adguard version, at what point exactly does it stop working?

denniz

@denniz ok so looks like we need Adguard.exe process dump file. Adguard.svc dump is insufficient.
It seems I found the problem, uninstalling Hitman Pro Alert solves my problem with the GUI. Nevertheless before I installed the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, AdGuard and Hitman Pro Alert co-existed peacefully and version-wise nothing has changed between the two. You still need the process dump file?

Last edited:

denniz

In the mean time I also notified the Hitman Pro developers at the Wilders Security forums, awaiting there response..

denniz

The preliminary answer of the Hitman Pro developers is that it's probably caused by Bitdefender 2016, which I also have installed. Still the problem is weird because before the Windows 10 Anniversary Update I had no problems with all three software, so maybe it's some update Bitdefender installed. Also Bitdefender support is kinda annoying, because all they tell me is that I must uninstall other security software because of so-called "incompatibilities", which is there standard answer...

denniz

Another update:

I further experimented a bit myself with Bitdefender. It seems the Active Threat Control function in Bitdefender is blocking the Adguard interface. After adding some process exclusions in Bitdefender regarding AdGuard it al began to work. Must have been a recent update, because I never had any problems before. The exclusions I added in Bitdefender were: Adguard.exe | AdguardSvc.exe | Adguard.Tools.exe

There must be some weird interaction between Hitman Pro Alert and Bitdefender that causes the problem, because uninstalling Hitman Pro Alert also solves the problem. But now I can have all three installed again. :)

Mystery solved. I'm gonna make a ticket to Bitdefender support about this, but knowing there support department, they are gonna make me jump through hoops again regarding uninstalling all security related software before they are gonna help me... fingers crossed that they don't tell me to uninstall AdGuard completely.. because regarding another question I have asked Bitdefender they asked me to uninstall Hitman Pro Alert..

Last edited:

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Wow, Sherlock Holmes has nothing on you, @denniz! :D

I am not even sure we have to dig into this, since the whole setup seems very unique. Especially since there is a solution found by you - whitelisting Adguard-related processes.

Thanks for investigating the issue, we'll keep an eye out for similar problems.