AdGuard has detected that this website is trying to use your browser as a blockchain currency miner.

Scott D

That site is running a javascript cryptocurrency miner in the background without informing the user (you) about it, which is VERY questionable.

https://blog.adguard.com/en/crypto-mining-fever/
I receive the same warning when I go to cnn.com Is that is a true warning, or do I have other problems on my computer? Thank you and apologies if I should have created a new post instead of tacking mine onto this one...the title was exactly what I was going to post.

Scott D

To close the loop: I put adguard on chrome on another computer and went to cnn.com; I didn't get that message. This pointed to a problem on my computer. One of the tools I used to clean up my computer said something about cyrpto-loot.com I did a search for that and found a site that talked about there being a trojan that injects crypto-loot.com onto the computer. I did everything the site recommended to do, and the one thing that ultimately cleared up the issue was to reset the chrome settings. I do not know what was the offending setting. I have a few other extensions that I'll turn on one by one to see if one of them is the problem. I had a buddy use the developer tools on Chrome to see what was going on (prior to resetting the settings) and there was certainly something going on that was trying to get to cryptohive, and was certainly taking a lot of cpu bandwidth. Adguard uncovered a problem with my installation of Chrome. Thank you.

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@Scott D oh yeah, AdGuard detects mining scripts on websites, but instead of blocking them right away it asks you if you want to let them run or not. Thats completely normal behavior on AdGuard's part.

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
I would very much like an option in AdGuard to cancel execution of those scripts ... not have a dialog to click cancel ...
Try these rules:
Code:
||coinhiveproxy.com^$third-party,empty
||coinpot.co^$third-party,empty
||coin-hive.com^$third-party,empty
||coinhive.com^$third-party,empty

TheTooolguy

Well, I meant to say: If AdGuard already detects a CryptoMiner and can show a dialog, what would be the problem to have an option to always Accept/Cancel it ...

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
If you're going to auto-cancel, what's the point to having the dialog in the first place? Just have all the miners blocked silently in the background and there's no need to worry about them. :)

That's what I do.

TheTooolguy

If you're going to auto-cancel, what's the point to having the dialog in the first place? Just have all the miners blocked silently in the background and there's no need to worry about them. :)

That's what I do.
I don't want that dialog every time I go to that site... And also Luke Filewalker appears every single time I cancel... (Avira realtime scanner)... It's a pain in the ass...

Nb. Those rules don't work on this site, it's another miner...

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
Which site exactly? Please note each rule must be entered in a new line.

TheTooolguy

Which site exactly? Please note each rule must be entered in a new line.
I found this extension for chrome and it works exactly like what I would expect from AdGuard (But AdGuard only shows a dialog with choice every single time :( , and after that my antivirus kicks in, even if I answer cancel :( )

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/mining-blocker/pdfmjofghakibffjolhholonbdoajbna?utm_source=chrome-app-launcher-info-dialog

When it detects a mining script it removes ALL traces from that web page and does NOT show any dialog or ask any questions ... it's PERFECT !!! And this I would expect from AdGuard, instead of a dialog etc... !!!

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Again, if you straight up block the domains the miner scripts won't work.
Code:
||coinhiveproxy.com^$empty
||coinpot.co^$empty
||coin-hive.com^$empty
||coinhive.com^$empty
These rules block all access to the four domains above and only displays a blank page. Haven't encountered a single CH warning or dialog when using the above.

Give it a go and test CoinHive blocking with this link after using the above four rules;
Code:
https://coinhive.com/lib/coinhive.min.js
No more dialogs. Nice, huh?