AdGuard Home doesn't remove YouTube Ad Banner

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
It's because domain name ad blocking (e.g. AG DNS, AG Home, Pi-Hole, etc.) can't remove YouTube ads or banner ads in general on most sites. Blocking the banner ads on YouTube requires cosmetic filtering, which none of those can support.

JackOh

Not that we misunderstand each other. I mean not the video ads but the banner ads. I have attached the screenshots in my first thread.

I also wonder about the blank spaces on a page when an advertisement has been removed. I have also attached a screenshot.

ammnt

Beta Tester
Not that we misunderstand each other. I mean not the video ads but the banner ads. I have attached the screenshots in my first thread.

I also wonder about the blank spaces on a page when an advertisement has been removed. I have also attached a screenshot.
It's impossible. You need a content blocker for this (you can just use free browser extension). AGH is a blocker at the network level.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester

It's still the same answer. DNS/HOSTS domain name ad blocking which includes AG Home, AG DNS, Pi-Hole, etc. can't remove YouTube video ads either. YouTube serves ads using the same domains they serve video content from. This means if you try to block the ads via domain name ad blocking, you block the videos too. That's why domain name ad blocking can't block YouTube ads and hasn't been able to for years now.

Finally, domain name ad blocking can't remove leftover ad placeholders (blank spaces where ads were) on sites either, because again it can only block domains, it can't do cosmetic filtering which is needed to do such things.