AdGuard interfering with Bullguard Safe Search

Discussion in 'Technical Support (AdGuard for Windows)' started by hypotemuse, Apr 23, 2018.

1. hypotemuse

hypotemuse New Member

Hi
    Adguard seems to be interfering with Bullguard Internet Security's Safe Search feature - the standard green tick that appears alongside search results to signal non-malicious sites.
    The tick disappears unless I shut Adguard down entirely (leaving services up/down doesn't matter); I'm sure there's a filtering exclusion which will resolve this conflict, but I can't seem to find which one.
    Any help much appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

@TheHasagi please try reproducing the issue on our side and see what needs to be excluded.

Is there a standalone browser extension doing it?

3. hypotemuse

hypotemuse New Member

No. Shutting adguard down resolved the issue - my browser extensions were unmodified.

Sorry, if you mean, is the green tick feature a bullguard browser extension, then no - it's built into the internet security suite.

4. TheHasagi

TheHasagi Quality Assurance / Support Commando Staff Member Administrator Moderator

@hypotemuse
    Hello!
    Just to reproduce the issue for 100% tell me browsers you using and Bullguard antivirus version. Is there any parental control functions are enabled? App exceptions?

5. hypotemuse

hypotemuse New Member

Bullguard Internet Security version 18.0.347.15
    Browsers: Microsoft Edge, Chrome, Firefox....
    No parental function enabled on Bullguard, tho I've disabled the 'PC Tune Up -> Background optimisations' option (see attachment)

Attached Files:

6. TheHasagi

TheHasagi Quality Assurance / Support Commando Staff Member Administrator Moderator

@hypotemuse
    And the screenshot of a problem, please:)

7. hypotemuse

hypotemuse New Member

This is from Microsoft Edge, the green ticks you see beside each search result are absent with Adguard running.

Attached Files:

8. TheHasagi

@hypotemuse
    Hello!
    Yes, there is some compatibility problem with drivers that BullGuard do so.
    I reporduced that problem with Win10 x64, Edge, Chrome, Firefox and what you need to do is turn off WFP driver and use only TDI in the Settings:
    [​IMG]

Also, this is strange that Bullguard warns about the unsafe website on its own:
    [​IMG]

9. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Do note though that if you disable the WFP driver and use the TDI driver instead, AdGuard for Windows will lose the ability to filter (remove ads from) Microsoft Edge and other Windows 10 (Modern/Metro) apps.

10. hypotemuse

hypotemuse New Member

hmm....Disabling the WFP driver (I take it it defaults back to TDI) worked for Microsoft Edge, Firefox, Chrome, Opera.
    Only exception is Brave Browser (v 0.22.22) which I can probably live with for now given they're rearchitecting over to Chromium soon anyway. Also Maxathon.
    Are there any other disadvantages to using TDI (speed, performance etc) over WFP?

11. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

The main one is the TDI network driver can't filter Microsoft Edge or any Windows 10 Modern/Metro apps. Meaning, no ad blocking for Edge while using the TDI driver.

12. hypotemuse

hypotemuse New Member

Microsoft Edge worked fine for me.
    Update: Sorry, meant green tick safe search. You're right, of course, that ad blocking in Edge no longer working without WFP

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  13. hypotemuse

hypotemuse New Member

Are there any plans to fix Adguard so WFP filters allow for Bullguard's safe search green ticks?
    At the moment it's a choice between:
    • using TDI which, as @Boo Berry points out, means no ad filtering in MS Edge/Metro apps
    • sticking with WFP, which means no green ticks

14. TheHasagi

@hypotemuse
    There are no such issues from AdGuard. It's just a question of compatibility with an exact application, so we are going to do our best to make it work fine. Follow our news feed and check for updates soon.
    Also, there is a lot of functions you can enjoy turning on our DNS and WOT.

hypotemuse likes this.
  15. hypotemuse

hypotemuse New Member

Thanks everyone.

Is there a special DNS option I can turn on in Adguard Windows edition the way I can on Android? Can't seem to find it - is it integrated by default?

16. TheHasagi

@hypotemuse
    There is no such option available in Win version because it is already filtering all traffic that runs thru AdGuard (If AdGuard is running).