AdGuard is blocking my incomoing Outlook email pop server

Discussion in 'Technical Support (Adguard for Windows)' started by Morpheus, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Morpheus

Morpheus Beta Tester

I’m unable to receive email on two of my email accounts while adguard is activated; I have to Disable Protection to get email to complete.

Error: Task 'My eMail 1 - Receiving' reported error (0x80004005) : 'The operation failed.'
    Error: Task 'My eMail 2 - Receiving' reported error (0x80004005) : 'The operation failed.'

Both of the above pop servers are: pop.secureserver.net

It’s strange because if I go to account settings and test the email account it is successful. However when I hit the send/Receive I get the receiving error.

2. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hello!

Do you mean that Adguard blocks Outlook work?
    This is weird -- Adguard does not filter it's traffic.

Could you please give us a screenshot of this error?

3. Morpheus

Morpheus Beta Tester

AdGaurd does not give an error. The only error recieved is in the 'Outlook Send Recieve Progress...' window (Task 'My eMail 2 - Receiving' reported error (0x80004005) : 'The operation failed.').

While AdGaurd is active I'm not sure why Outlook is allowing a sucessful test from the Account Settings / Change Account / Test Account Settings ..., and then turns around and fails the Recieve part of the email processing from the Outlook main screen. As soon as I disable AdGuard Outlook Recieves just fine.

4. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

I'm guessing that for some reason, Adguard is set to filter the e-mail client. What's the name of running executable for Outlook? What you can try doing is going into Adguard's settings > Browsers section and clicking the Reset to default button to see if that stops Adguard from filtering Outlook.

5. Morpheus

Morpheus Beta Tester

I went to 'Browsing Security', and clicked the 'Reset Default' with same result.

Just to be sure; Adguard is running, and protection is enabled, Outlook 2013 is on the screen, I go up and tap the send/recieve icon in the top, the 'Outlook Send Recieve Progress...' window appears, and in that window I get Task 'My eMail 2 - Receiving' reported error (0x80004005) : 'The operation failed.'.

I don't touch outlook, and it is still running on the desktop. I right-click the Adguard icon in the system tray and select to disable protection. I go up and tap the send/recieve icon in the top, the 'Outlook Send Recieve Progress...' window appears, and all the email accounts process correctly.

I have disabled all the Outlook add-ins with the same result.

When I go into Task manager; the process for Outlook is: Microsoft Outlook
    When I go into Task manager; the Details for Outlook is: OUTLOOK.EXE

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  6. Boo Berry

Ah, I forgot to mention you need to click on Extended interface on the bottom left of the Adguard window, then go to Settings then Browsers like in the following screenshot.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
  7. Morpheus

Morpheus Beta Tester

Ok, I did went to 'Browser Settings' and hit the 'Reset to default' button. Same result.

12-29-2013 6-43-50 PM.png

8. Morpheus

Morpheus Beta Tester

This may be a clue as to why AdGuard is not allowing Outlook 2013 to Recieve Only email (sends email out with no problem).

Everything above is correct.

I have Windows 8.1 x64, and Symantec Endpoint Protection version 12.1.4013.4013 installed. I can completly disable SEP and Outlook 2013 will process email normally, with AdGuard enabled.

I'm not sure what to do here. I have disabled each bit of SEP to try and pin point the failure, and unless I disable all of SEP, Outlook 2013 fails to Recieve email while AdGuard is running.

9. Boo Berry

Ah, sounds like an incompatibility between SEP and Adguard. Try this, go to Adguard's settings > Network section and uncheck Use WPF network driver. Then reboot your PC and see if it works then. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2013
  10. Morpheus

Morpheus Beta Tester

I'll have to remove my working adblocking tools again to test.

What exactly will I be loosing by disabeling the WFP Network driver?

11. Boo Berry

Mainly filtering for the Modern/Metro versions of Internet Explorer (and perhaps Firefox) and filtering for Enhanced Protected Mode in Internet Explorer.

12. Morpheus

Morpheus Beta Tester

Ok, disabeling the 'Use WFP Network Driver', and rebooting has allowed Outlook 2013 start recieving email with AdGuard enabled.

When might you expect a fix for this? If needed, I can test.

13. Boo Berry

The developers will need to investigate the incompatibility with SEP, Outlook and Adguard's WFP driver. The WFP driver has several incompatibilities, including ESET NOD32/Smart Security, Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 and now Symantec Endpoint Protection. From what I've read, Adguard 5.9 will have a new driver which *may* address these issues. Of course, the developers will need to double check. :)

Adguard 5.9 beta testing should start soon (they're working on the new Parental Control feature currently). If you're interested, you can apply to become a beta tester by reading the information in this topic.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2013
  14. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Thank you for the research! We'll indeed do a double-check.

It's a pity WFP driver has such issues. The problem is that WFP is rather new technology either for us and for antivirus vendors.
    We all need time to find and fix all these bugs.

15. Megasen

Megasen New Member

I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise (Creators update and new Defender) with the Beta 6.2369.1938 version and have the same issue, running Outlook 2007 (old but good) and some(not all) of my pop3 accounts are blocked by the wfp driver. Those who are blocked use standard pop3 port tcp/110 but i also have some that works with the same port!!. T
    he email domain blocked in my case is Telia.com , the working one is stackangen.se
    I want to use the WFP with Edge but at the moment its not possible due to the pop-problem

Any news on correcting the WFP-driver or can you give me any filter rules that can fix this?