AdGuard is not working on youtube.

JavaStorm

Hi,
On youtube, adguard is not preventing ads. I have checked my settings and they are fine. My adguard does not expire until 03/2023. I would appreciate any help offered.
Thanks.:confused:

H3lper

Support
Staff member
Administrator
Hello. Also, please consider updating your app and filters and make sure that HTTPS filtering is ON.

goodjohnjr

Hi,
On youtube, adguard is not preventing ads. I have checked my settings and they are fine. My adguard does not expire until 03/2023. I would appreciate any help offered.
Thanks.:confused:
Yeah, after the latest update for Adguard for Windows, I have had the same problem on YouTube in Microsoft Edge even with my settings all on, and after updating the filters et cetera.

H3lper

Support
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, after the latest update for Adguard for Windows, I have had the same problem on YouTube in Microsoft Edge even with my settings all on, and after updating the filters et cetera.
Would you please send us a message right from the app? That way, you can send us a few technical files for a small investigation.

Do you have AdGuard Extra extension installed? AdGuard>Settings>Extensions> AdGuard Extra

localhost

Can also relate, Adguard is no longer blocking any ads since the latest update, I tried to force update Adguard and it's filters, even clear all Cookies, Cache and Content from Microsoft Edge.

To replicate the issue all you have to do is close Adguard and let the service running (this would normally keep blocking ads, but is no longer the case).

We're now forced to run the Adguard UI 24/7 to block ads, as the service alone is not doing anything.

goodjohnjr

Would you please send us a message right from the app? That way, you can send us a few technical files for a small investigation.

Do you have AdGuard Extra extension installed? AdGuard>Settings>Extensions> AdGuard Extra
I did, I think, and I got a reply from support; and yes I am using AdGuard Extra & all the other extensions from within AdGuard except the AdGuard Browser Assistant which is installed Microsoft Edge.

Before support replied, I finally got it to work by once again by checking for filter updates & program updates like I had already tried several times before, after doing that, exiting any open programs, and then opening them again it would work.

Also, when the computer starts up, I have to wait because if I open Microsoft Edge too soon, Adguard filtering will not work, unless I exit Microsoft Edge & open it again.

Maybe the new Adguard is taking longer than usual to activate & even after activating, it will not filter any programs that were open before it finished activating all of its services.

I started using Malwarebytes Browser Guard again to block the YouTube ads et cetera, so there is a chance that AdGuard might not be working at times without me realizing it because those ads could be blocked by Malwarebytes Browser Guard instead now; I would have to once again disable it to see.

Thanks,
- John Jr

H3lper

Support
Staff member
Administrator
I did, I think, and I got a reply from support; and yes I am using AdGuard Extra & all the other extensions from within AdGuard except the AdGuard Browser Assistant which is installed Microsoft Edge.

Before support replied, I finally got it to work by once again by checking for filter updates & program updates like I had already tried several times before, after doing that, exiting any open programs, and then opening them again it would work.

Also, when the computer starts up, I have to wait because if I open Microsoft Edge too soon, Adguard filtering will not work, unless I exit Microsoft Edge & open it again.

Maybe the new Adguard is taking longer than usual to activate & even after activating, it will not filter any programs that were open before it finished activating all of its services.

I started using Malwarebytes Browser Guard again to block the YouTube ads et cetera, so there is a chance that AdGuard might not be working at times without me realizing it because those ads could be blocked by Malwarebytes Browser Guard instead now; I would have to once again disable it to see.

Thanks,
- John Jr
Can also relate, Adguard is no longer blocking any ads since the latest update, I tried to force update Adguard and it's filters, even clear all Cookies, Cache and Content from Microsoft Edge.

To replicate the issue all you have to do is close Adguard and let the service running (this would normally keep blocking ads, but is no longer the case).

We're now forced to run the Adguard UI 24/7 to block ads, as the service alone is not doing anything.
Thanks for your feedback. Have you tested Nightly version:http://agrd.io/windows_nightly?
May I ask you share your ticket ID as well?

goodjohnjr

Thanks for your feedback. Have you tested Nightly version:http://agrd.io/windows_nightly?
May I ask you share your ticket ID as well?
You are welcome, no, I have not tried any other version than stable.

I do not seem to have a ticket ID, the email subject shows: AdGuard for Windows v7.11 – Bug report .

I have not been home long, but ads got through again today; except this time it was when I clicked on a link to a YouTube video on my blog, when that tab opened, YouTube ads got through, but so far that has not happened to the tabs that I opened from YouTube itself.

But I will see, because I have only watched a few YouTube videos so far.

localhost

You are welcome, no, I have not tried any other version than stable.

I do not seem to have a ticket ID, the email subject shows: AdGuard for Windows v7.11 – Bug report .

I have not been home long, but ads got through again today; except this time it was when I clicked on a link to a YouTube video on my blog, when that tab opened, YouTube ads got through, but so far that has not happened to the tabs that I opened from YouTube itself.

But I will see, because I have only watched a few YouTube videos so far.
I can still replicate the issue long after the computer has started, so that is not the issue, the AdguardSvc.exe is running on start-up as expected, however is not blocking any Ads as reported early.

Adguard only starts working properly after I open the UI.

I also have not tested the Nighty build cause this is a work PC, and have no ticket number anywhere on my Support request either, however I did quoted this topic there.

goodjohnjr

I can still replicate the issue long after the computer has started, so that is not the issue, the AdguardSvc.exe is running on start-up as expected, however is not blocking any Ads as reported early.

Adguard only starts working properly after I open the UI.

I also have not tested the Nighty build cause this is a work PC, and have no ticket number anywhere on my Support request either, however I did quoted this topic there.
Thank you for sharing that.

Yesterday, it happened to me all day, only if I clicked on a YouTube link outside of YouTube, then ads would start once it opens on YouTube.

So far today it is not happening, but I have not been using the computer that long yet.

localhost

I'm very sad right now, the new Adguard update claimed to fix the issue, however it has not fixed anything.

Adguard still fails to block any and all ads with the AdguardSvc.exe alone, it needs Adguard.exe running to work.

goodjohnjr

I'm very sad right now, the new Adguard update claimed to fix the issue, however it has not fixed anything.

Adguard still fails to block any and all ads with the AdguardSvc.exe alone, it needs Adguard.exe running to work.
I am sorry to hear that.

After I did the update, I updated the filters, refreshed an open YouTube video tab in Microsoft Edge, and I got ads; but after refreshing the page several times or exiting the tab & opening it again, Adguard started blocking ads on YouTube today, so far at least.

goodjohnjr

The YouTube ads came back today, things were working until I went outside to jog, I left Microsoft Edge open, and when I got back; YouTube ads were trying to come through again and Malwarebytes Browser Guard had to block them.

So I disabled Malwarebytes Browser Guard, checked for Adguard updates & filter updates, refreshed my browser tab, opened up a new YouTube video in a different tab, and some ads were still coming through.

I might save or send an Adguard log to Adguard before I uninstall Adguard, and go back to uBlock Origin combined with Malwarebytes Browser Guard.

I have Adguard lifetime licenses, so I can always come back & try it again in the future off & on to see if it improves & to report issues, like I usually do with Adguard products; hoping one day they will improve enough for me to use them permanently.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Running multiple ad blockers together at the same time isn't a really good idea. Plus if memory serves correctly there was a potential recent incompatibility with Malwarebytes (or was it Kaspersky or both? Can't recall) and AG for Windows.

Also I hope everyone realizes that eventually no ad blockers (AdGuard, uBlock, Adblock, etc.) will be able to block YouTube ads anymore as Google is beginning to move towards unskippable/unblockable embedded in the video ads that can't be blocked or bypassed unless you have a YouTube Premium subscription. They've been doing some interesting experiments lately in regards to ads and YouTube Premium, so honestly the writing is pretty much on the wall at this point and it's really not a matter of if it's going to happen, but when.

goodjohnjr

Running multiple ad blockers together at the same time isn't a really good idea. Plus if memory serves correctly there was a potential recent incompatibility with Malwarebytes (or was it Kaspersky or both? Can't recall) and AG for Windows.

Also I hope everyone realizes that eventually no ad blockers (AdGuard, uBlock, Adblock, etc.) will be able to block YouTube ads anymore as Google is beginning to move towards unskippable/unblockable embedded in the video ads that can't be blocked or bypassed unless you have a YouTube Premium subscription. They've been doing some interesting experiments lately in regards to ads and YouTube Premium, so honestly the writing is pretty much on the wall at this point and it's really not a matter of if it's going to happen, but when.
I was using Adguard alone after the issues started, I installed Malwarebytes Browser Guard again for the security component, it is not so good at ad blocking (though it can block YouTube ads after a brief delay).

Thank you for sharing that, I knew about Manifest V3 coming up, but I had not heard about that.

Adguard products still give me the most issues compared to other similar products, I still keep trying them off and on, reporting issues here and there, with hopes of things improving in the future.

Some good news though, Adguard started back working again today, for now at least, I exited it with plans to uninstall it, when I decided to just start it again, and try again; and it started back working again, for now.

localhost

Last edited:

H3lper

Support
Staff member
Administrator
After delving further I finally found the problem with Adguard, this change broke AdguardSvc.exe on start-up, Please modify the logic of "Launch AdGuard at system start-up". · Issue #2489 · AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows (github.com)

To be point it no longer blocks ads on start-up until you start Adguard.exe

And seems a fix to this will have me waiting for version 7.12 at least, so I'm rolling back to 7.10.2 and blocking updates.
The service will still be running, yet it will not filter unless you have that checkbox enabled. Does it remain the same even after you enabled that option?

1667893201574.png