AdGuard + MS Edge + Facebook

Blackfish

Is it possible to block suggested posts on facebook in Microsoft Edge? When I test in Google Chrome the suggested posts do not display.

suggestedposts.pngadblockfilters.png

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
What filter lists are you using? Are you using the WFP network driver? What antivirus are you using?

Blackfish

Using Windows own defender only right now. WFP network driver is ticked. The only lists I'm using are the ones in the screenshot in the first post.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Are you sure Adguard filters anything on Edge? It is strange if the only place with ads is facebook.

TheReal

I know this thread is a little old, but I have the same problem. Actually, this seems to be normal. All of my Windows 10 PC's show suggested posts on Facebook. Can someone with v6 beta test if this issue is fixed there?

Last edited by a moderator:

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I know this thread is a little old, but I have the same problem. Actually, this seems to be normal. All of my Windows 10 PC's show suggested posts on Facebook. Can someone with v6 beta test if this issue is fixed there?
Do you have this problem in all browsers or sone particular one? Would the problem remain if you disable User filter in Adguard settings?

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
I actually got one of these posts today, and used this filter rule to block it;

Code:
facebook.com###substream_1
EDIT: This only blocks one, it seems there's multiple instances. Looking into it and see if I can block them all.

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

I actually got one of these posts today, and used this filter rule to block it;

Code:
facebook.com###substream_1
EDIT: This only blocks one, it seems there's multiple instances. Looking into it and see if I can block them all.
Okay, this rule is supposed to fix the suggested posts, which is in Easylist;

Code:
facebook.com##div[id^="topnews_main_stream_"] div[data-ft*="\"ei\":\""]
It seems to work fine for Chrome, Firefox, IE, etc. but for whatever reason it doesn't work for Edge.

TheReal

Do you have this problem in all browsers or sone particular one? Would the problem remain if you disable User filter in Adguard settings?
Only in Edge, and yes the problem still exists if I disable the user filter. But I guess Boo Berry's posts is much more helpfull.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@TheReal, @Boo Berry

Now I got it, thank you!

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

@Boo, you know what's weird, that rule from EasyList, it should not work at all.

The proper rule is:
Code:
facebook.com##div[id^="topnews_main_stream_"] div[data-ft*="\\"ei\\":\\""]

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

I've reported it to EasyList guys:
https://forums.lanik.us/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=26638

We will update English filter right now.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Issue seems to be fixed for me. Once the OP responds and verifies it's fixed, I'll rename and move this topic. :)

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Suggested posts are showing up again in Chrome, Firefox, Edge, IE, etc.

Also I notice multiple rules in the English filter for Facebook with [data-ft*="\"ei\":\""] invalid selectors like the original rule was. They'll need to be fixed.

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

Here's the bad rules;

Code:
facebook.com###home_stream > .uiUnifiedStory[data-ft*="\"ei\":\""]
m.facebook.com###m_newsfeed_stream article[data-ft*="\"ei\":\""]
facebook.com##div[id^="substream_"] div[data-ft*="\"ei\":\""]
It looks like both facebook.com##div[id^="topnews_main_stream_"] div[data-ft*="\"ei\":\""] and facebook.com##div[id^="topnews_main_stream_"] div[data-ft*="\\"ei\\":\\""] are in the English filter. Shouldn't one be removed?

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hm, maybe I was wrong about that rule and it works only in Edge?

Removed that rule from English filter, please check it again.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Still there in Edge. Odd.

EDIT: Chrome, Firefox and IE work fine now.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
And if you add that rule for Edge manually in the user filter?

Code:
facebook.com##div[id^="topnews_main_stream_"] div[data-ft*="\\"ei\\":\\""]
Does it go away in Edge?

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Nope. Even tried disabling the original (invalid) rule in the English filter and leaving that one in the User filter.

Very strange.

I'm about to reinstall Windows 10 anyways, so maybe this will go away with a clean install.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There is a bug in Edge, CSS selector that must work just does not do it.

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

We can overcome it with a complicated JS though, but we'll need some time on it.