AdGuard mysteriously blocking websites, despite never being installed

Discussion in 'Technical Support (AdGuard for Windows)' started by MarioMCP, Jul 29, 2017.

1. MarioMCP

MarioMCP New Member

Hello there, for the past few days Adguard DNS has been blocking several websites I regularly visit, not allowing me to go to them. I have never installed AdGuard before, and to my knowledge, none of the other people on this network have. I have asked them, and they have said no.

Despite this, websites are being blocked. It seems to randomly stop and start, occasionally I can visit the websites, other times I cannot. Sometimes it says "Kid Protection" mode is on, sometimes it's just default AdGuard DNS.

I specifically made this account to ask this question, because no one here can figure out why this is happening. We are using our default DNS, and this is happening in Chrome, Firefox, and Microsoft Edge. I've attempted to manually change my DNS, and the same thing happens. I can say with 100% certainty I have never installed this application, and I only know about it because I google searched the name after being blocked.

Does anyone have any ideas? I know this must sound strange, but I want to tear my hair out over it. Thank you in advance.

2. Gass

Gass Member

Hello and Welcome to the forums @MarioMCP

I'd be the 1st. to admit I don't know a lot - but from what I can understand in reading into Adguard and then your words,
    seems that here in your case - there are multiple computers/devices on a networks connection.

Parts of your statements-
    [Adguard DNS has been blocking several websites I regularly visit - I have never installed AdGuard -
    none of the other people on this network have - It seems to randomly stop and start -
    Sometimes it says "Kid Protection" mode is on, sometimes it's just default AdGuard DNS -
    We are using our default DNS, and this is happening in Chrome, Firefox, and Microsoft Edge -
    attempted to manually change my DNS, and the same thing happens - 100% certainty I have never installed this application
    ]

If I had to pin point one area, "Network" as in a router being used. Possibly someone has manually changed the DNS setting there.
    Since this would correlate the mentioning [other people on network] and [this is happening in Chrome, Firefox, and Microsoft Edge] then [never installed this application].

Adguard DNS-
    Each time you go to a website, your browser sends a request to a special server. That server either redirects the request to another server or replies with an IP address. Adguard own DNS server works as a redirect DNS server, each request will be directed to its original destination.

Some websites, use same domain names for both its content and ads. By blocking ads there Adguard DNS will harm websites functionality, so they are whitelisted. Also, there are no filtering rules with this approach, and that means no ‘cosmetic’ rules (which are responsible for making the page look ‘clean’ after ads are blocked) either. Even if the ad is blocked, it will leave an empty space or a frame with an icon behind itslef.

Adguard DNS can work in two different modes:

‘Default’: Ad Blocking + Stealth Mode + Browsing Security
    ‘Family protection’: Ad Blocking + Stealth Mode + Browsing Security + Parental Control
    Source: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/adguard-dns.794318/
    Source: https://blog.adguard.com/en/adguard-dns-beta/

This sounds a lot like what you've explained here - since you've said neither you or anyone else has install Adguard. Adguard the program has to be installed, Adguard DNS has to be configured.

But, possibly some others with access on the router end has made that change in it to use Adguard DNS settings. So your PC would not have to be set/touched of the default DNS, if the router was and would then override your PC's to use Adguard.

Adguard DNS Setup guide: > Router
    https://adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/instruction.html#instruction

@ - Adguard variations types in a nutshell...

Adguard program and app installs for-

Windows - Adguard works in all browsers. Safari, Chrome — you name it. No exceptions.
    https://adguard.com/en/adguard-windows/overview.html
    Mac - Adguard works in all browsers. Safari, Chrome - you name it. No exceptions.
    https://adguard.com/en/adguard-mac/overview.html
    Android - Adguard is able to block ALL kinds of ads, not only in browsers but also in games and apps!
    https://adguard.com/en/adguard-android/overview.html
    iOS - supports more than 50 filter subscriptions optimized for Safari. Surf the web safe, fast and ad-free with Adguard!
    https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1047223162?mt=8
    iOS Pro - Adguard Pro is not just a Content Blocker - it has much more to offer.
    https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1126386264?mt=8
    Adguard Content Blocker - Android app that will block all ads only in Yandex Browser and Samsung Internet browser without requiring you to root your device.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adguard.android.contentblocker

Adguard configurable (non-install)
    Adguard DNS (beta) - Doesn’t require you to install any external apps, can be used on any device.
    https://adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/overview.html

Adguard AdBlocker browser extension: the fastest and lightweight ad blocking extension for browser.
    Adguard AdBlocker effectively blocks all types of advertising on all web pages, even on Facebook, Youtube, and others! Adguard makes your work on the Internet not only comfortable, but also safe - Browsing Security module blocks access to all fraudulent and malicious sites.
    https://adguard.com/en/adguard-adblock-browser-extension/overview.html#howItWorks

@MarioMCP interesting to say about your dilemma, I hope with this info. you'll be able to come to a conclusion.
    Someone more advanced will probably answer and help you pin point the issue correctly.
    None the less hoping at some point you'll consider the installed Adguard program with it's robust selection in controls of rendering the webpages without ads and malicious content for your needs.
    Thanks,
    Gass :D

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  3. Not the words Adguard people themselves use.

Source ???

Regards
    ;)

4. Gass

Gass Member

[[Not the words Adguard people themselves use.]] I beg to differ, as that's where I copied it.......
    What is it you want man - quite trying to split hairs...
    Everything I copied was from Adguard own printed words / except one Notebook Review article I found.

Your sending a message to the originator of the OP that they can't trust what's said on the forums,
    and that is just wrong... Really wrong as I see it, without suppling your sourced counter-facts. Question me with true facts OP related - not to growing in a knowledge that you've demonstrated your not in a position of yet.

PS: I'm trying to help someone - with how I can within myself to understanding their OP thread/post to do so in help... Are you supplying a factual help info. to/of their own faced problems by addressing them directly? Like in even addressing the OP originator with true help? No you have focused on me and my post - trying to find some fault, and when that appears not enough for you - then going into a personal level to ones faults....
    What is it your trying to do, (mock-put down), what's next my spelling errors as of your #5 post? Nothing you've said helps the OP thread/question/troubles and answers his original post - as I tried to do :)

Did you overlook the OP help needed, with that in your posting questions/counter-facts.
    Your focused intent was with what I've said (copy and pasted facts) and only addressing what I've said, therein everything I quoted was from Adguard's own printed words, except what I said was sourced in another related content - which is also being of Adguard's own printed words they referenced.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    EDITED: since I was sited for spelling errors, I've since removed or crossed-thru and clarified my texts, then added the visual images to prove what I've said is factually in print by Adguard. See yellow highlight areas.
    Some of these are found on the Adguard Blog - why then it's not part of the pages description/informations in that of the main Adguard site you'll have to ask Adguard.
    I've still not seen nothing said to help the OP and the actual threads topic by others posting...

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  5. You mean Quit? without the 'e'.

Beta not Bata :p

Why are you assuming I didn't click any of the links - I will illustrate this below.

Exactly my point.
    And who decides what position I'm in?

What I'm trying to do is enlighten the OP with the misinformation or wrong interpretation and representation that you have provided.

From right-hand side of this link : https://adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/overview.html#overview

[​IMG]
    From this link : https://adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/instruction.html#instruction

[​IMG]
    In neither of them there is the use of words like Stealth Mode, Browsing Security or Parental Control.

There is a difference in saying something is fast and lightweight and in saying something is the fastest and lightweight
    Adguard claims to be fast not the fastest as you have mentioned. There is a huge difference in both.

From : https://adguard.com/en/adguard-adblock-browser-extension/overview.html#howItWorks

[​IMG]

6. Gass

Gass Member

That '

I do my research and homework, I've never said/posted of the 435 in my posts/threads to date in something I've known to be false, factual misleading or have at anytime clearly misrepresent any facts and information so far and I never will. I will spend a good amount of time looking for facts in sources to help someone here on the forums when I can. Sometimes as with this OP Topic with hours reading, note taking in my digesting to what I've read, and then posting of the help - I don't answer everybody's trouble issues and their questions, a lot is over my head - I'd be the first to admit, but if I take an interest in something of a Threads topic and it deals with help needed, and I also would like to know what's caused it - I then can learn too.

I post links to back up and confirm the information I've given, but sometimes as not all of them / if redundant. Some just as seen here, were mainly for the OP and to his benefit in understand that Adguard is far more than just of one offering, having different variations to itself as I tried to supply in examples with the links I've given.

I've said it before and possibly to you personally - also, I've made mistakes and probable will again - I'm not beyond them / being a human, but this is not a case of making a mistake here to my facts... I never was a strong speller, and thank you so much for pointing that out - I should just die off now I'm guessing / by your attentions to calling them out... petty in a reply/response.

I tend to focus my help towards and relating to the threads topic and real facts I'd find, not of ones personal faults or weakness they may display therein, (as #6 - all circumstances advises). Then only, unless - and with a clarification that is needed, and I do so now with a proper disposition bestowed towards them as a forums member, such as (please excuse/forgive) followed by (did you mean to say or is what your meaning better understood as - i.e.), only helping to further their statement or question of the OP topic and any following posts to be understood better for any clear help that would follow in a resolution.

I despise (your later #5 post), beings it's only for the most part as in an attempt.

As in all these kind of replies do, to ones own self's superiority in generality towards another poster(s) mistakes, even can be construed as a personal condemnation (selfish attack) -root meaning- that you've made a mistake, so you have nothing to offer me, and so anyone else should condemn all of your statements - as your simply flawed...

Given that these replies are often rendered in hap hearted self-righteousness position taken in regards to their selves in it's posting of the faults and mistakes of others, and that do not add anything more of Topic base in facts, or really in a purpose by addressing at/in/of/to the actual topics purpose of the thread in a relationship to the OP troubles and sought help needed or for a resolution at large.

I hope you can understand this, as I've corresponded with you before and you seemed logical with good reasoning then. Maybe it was meant to overlook goodwill, and in a lack of good judgment towards #6 forum rules in using respectful and politeness as a bases in expressing your point.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  7. MarioMCP

MarioMCP New Member

I tried manually changing my own DNS to googles, as well as using open DNS and neither work. I am still blocked in all browsers.

8. Gass

Gass Member

Would that be on only your PC settings side (my own DNS to googles) or is it meant by the general census as the (network being used), to connect all others that use the network - as you've mentioned? "and to my knowledge, none of the other people on this network have"

Is this only happening to you and your PC, or in everyone's case then with that network? - the other people on this network

At this link below, it tells how a change to using Adguard's DNS settings - and with using that info. try adding which DNS you prefer in wanting to use with it's own addresses settings being supplied by it.
    https://adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/instruction.html#instruction

Find your instructions of which one your on.
    Open to that particular guide as a reference to see or enter your preferred DNS addresses.

If that doesn't work, then if you have access to the router (for the shared network) do the same as mentioned before going to that link and using the Router guide (this time) to seeing what are the addresses there listed and being used.
    Then change them on the Router if necessary to your preferred DNS addresses for that network router, by the guide.
    This is what I'd try in understanding and to making any changes needed possibly.

It does sound as if you can make changes on your own PC to access the websites, then their still being blocked, which it might be the Router in it's questionable settings used, that someone must of changed the DNS addresses to use Adguard DNS on purpose then.

I'm reaching for an explanation here to understanding all of this, in which case one of these might apply.
    If your of legal age but still living at home, it's possible that you have younger siblings your parents are trying to protect then by using Adguard's DNS.
    Maybe your living in an Apartment community and Broadband is supplied being covered in the rent. So they use Adguard DNS to protect the community at large.
    In either case then, you may not have access to the Router and/or it has been password protected.
    I guess there could be more, but these come to mind for now.

Gass

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  9. vasily_bagirov

vasily_bagirov Administrator Staff Member Administrator

@Gass @The Commissioner ok guys, calm down. I've sent both of you a personal message, let's not escalate it any further.

@MarioMCP Gass has written a lot of text, but in its core his message is correct: Adguard DNS is most likely configured on your router. Do you have a system administrator? If so, I would start with asking him if he has anything to do with it.

10. furiousmustache

furiousmustache New Member

Ok. So I have a similar issue. I cannot access websites that AdGuard is blocking.
    Capture.JPG
    I do not use AdGuard DNS. I used it at one point for a very short period of time. However I do not use it anymore.
    Capture2.JPG
    Then why is AdGuard still blocking websites?!!?!
    Capture3.JPG

Seriously. I cannot figure this out. I have a bachelor's degree in computer networking, many years of experience with IT, how the hell have you poisoned my DNS.
    I never had the browser extension. I never installed AdGuard for Windows. This affects my wife and my phone as well. What kind of voodoo is this...

polymath_uk likes this.
  11. polymath_uk

polymath_uk New Member

I'm similarly qualified as the correspondent immediately above. All my devices on my home network are blocked from visiting a website (richplanet.net) despite running my own DNS and also when solely using my mobile phone provider's DNS. I have never used adguard products. Is this blocking happening at the ISP level? If so GTFO the internet with your fascistic control freakery.
    I can access what I want through Tor, thank god.

12. Chinaski

Chinaski Support Marine Staff Member Administrator Moderator

@polymath_uk
    @furiousmustache

Dear Sirs, I hope you understand that AdGguard cannot block requests "from the air." Most likely you have AdGuard DNS installed at the router level. Contact your service provider or system administrator to resolve this issue.:)

13. furiousmustache

furiousmustache New Member

Which makes it all the more odd.

I have contacted my ISP and they do not know the reason why and as the screenshot shows, my DNS is not set to AdGuard's DNS servers.

14. TheHasagi

TheHasagi Quality Assurance / Support Commando Staff Member Administrator Moderator

@furiousmustache

Hey there,

I guess there is no devil in the box, the way you see this picture is that you were able to connect to other WiFi networks that might be used our Family DNS.

To avoid such issues please, clear your browser cache and restart the phone.