adguard no longer working on youtube.

BKayrac

Am I the only one that is experiencing this? Pre-roll ads, sometimes ads at other places on the screen.

Assistant just doesn't exist on youtube for some reason. So I actually manually entered my information to make a github report.

But man, that's an annoying one. I did try adding adblock plus, and ublock origin separately to chrome and they both had no problems with blocking ads.

So I am assuming something has changed somewhere. I just hope I am not the only one.

https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardFilters/issues/8938

Down towards the bottom.

BKayrac

Okay, so apparently when I went into extensions. clicked default. It disabled web of trust beta. And now youtube is being blocked as normal.

Strange.

BKayrac

And another addition. It seems to work randomly. Sometimes adguard assistant loads, and works on youtube. Other times it does not.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Which browser are you using? Chrome or a Chromium-fork (e.g. Opera, Vivaldi, etc.)? If so, try going to chrome://flags and find Experimental QUIC protocol and set it to disabled (and restart the browser). You might want to try clearing the browser cache too.

BKayrac

Which browser are you using? Chrome or a Chromium-fork (e.g. Opera, Vivaldi, etc.)? If so, try going to chrome://flags and find Experimental QUIC protocol and set it to disabled (and restart the browser). You might want to try clearing the browser cache too.
It was chrome. The QUIC disabling seems to have fixed it for me as well.

But I do have to ask, why does adblock not see an issue with it, but adguard does? Something that can be fixed?

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
But I do have to ask, why does adblock not see an issue with it, but adguard does? Something that can be fixed?
Because Adblock is an adblocking browser extension and has no issues with stuff like that (it's using extension APIs and whatnot within the browser). AG for Windows on the other hand is a standalone application outside of the browser and the (experimental) QUIC protocol is something that can't be filtered by AG for Windows. That said, AG for Windows does actively block QUIC sessions from working - I just tested QUIC and it's being blocked here in Chrome. In your case however (after seeing what @avatar is saying about it in the AG Telegram chat) he thinks it might be a compatibility issue with antivirus software (I believe you're using F-Secure, yes?) since it could be preventing AG for Windows' ability to change UDP packets on-the-fly (and thus QUIC sessions, which should be normally blocked, are coming through). KIS is one AV known to be doing this, which requires a different approach to address. So F-Secure is another which will need to be checked for this.

I'd watch the GitHub topic, as I'm sure @avatar will respond there (if he hasn't already).

BKayrac

Because Adblock is an adblocking browser extension and has no issues with stuff like that (it's using extension APIs and whatnot within the browser). AG for Windows on the other hand is a standalone application outside of the browser and the (experimental) QUIC protocol is something that can't be filtered by AG for Windows. That said, AG for Windows does actively block QUIC sessions from working - I just tested QUIC and it's being blocked here in Chrome. In your case however (after seeing what @avatar is saying about it in the AG Telegram chat) he thinks it might be a compatibility issue with antivirus software (I believe you're using F-Secure, yes?) since it could be preventing AG for Windows' ability to change UDP packets on-the-fly (and thus QUIC sessions, which should be normally blocked, are coming through). KIS is one AV known to be doing this, which requires a different approach to address. So F-Secure is another which will need to be checked for this.

I'd watch the GitHub topic, as I'm sure @avatar will respond there (if he hasn't already).
I do use charters AV. It's the f-secure security suite, just simply re-branded.

saturnotaku

Beta Tester
I'm having a slightly different issue. On Youtube, I disable AG because I'm a Red subscriber so no ads play. The problem is the assistant still shows up on the site, and it remains with the large icon. Changing it to the small icon only keeps it that way for my current session. If I close the tab/browser (latest version of Chrome on Windows 7) and later go back to YT, the assistant comes back with the large icon. If I disable AG on other sites, the assistant disappears entirely and comes back with the correct small icon when AG is re-enabled. If I enable AG on YT, the assistant icon retains the small one I set universally.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
What AV are you using? Open Chrome's Console (F12 > Console tab) and reload YouTube. What errors do you see there (please. if possible, post a screenshot)?

saturnotaku

Beta Tester
AV is the current version of ESET NOD32 with the https:// scanner disabled. I will post a screenshot but it won't be until much later this evening.

saturnotaku

Beta Tester
@Boo Berry - as requested, here are screenshots from Youtube with the Chrome console open and Adguard both enabled and disabled. Let me know if you need anything else/more specific.

AdguardYoutube.jpg AdguardYoutube2.jpg

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The problem is the assistant still shows up on the site, and it remains with the large icon. Changing it to the small icon only keeps it that way for my current session.
This is okay, Assistant stays on the page even when you disable AG for it so that you could enable AG back for that website.

saturnotaku

Beta Tester
This is okay, Assistant stays on the page even when you disable AG for it so that you could enable AG back for that website.
I understand that. The problem is that the assistant icon is reverting to the large size when I have specified that it be set to the small one.