AdGuard & NordVPN tunnel

Bruno

I am running both apps and their latest releases
Adguard is in full tunnel mode with NordVPN connected.

Did I miss something?

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@Bruno does Adguard actually work? It is not really possible for two different VPNs to work simultaneously if one of them is in the full-tunnel mode. I see two options:

1) Adguard VPN is not enabled.
2) NordVPN does not in fact work.

You can check in system settings which VPNs are currently active.

Bruno

Also I found something really weird regard my ip.
Code:
https://ibb.co/gAGBfQ
https://ibb.co/bvSHLQ
https://ibb.co/djF40Q

Bruno

@vasily_bagirov I am talking with NordVPN team because I realised I had many reconnections from NordVPN iOS application. Guess what I disable Adguard Pro DNS and it seems there are less disconnections. Maybe NordVPN and Adguard are not so compatible after all....

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@Bruno I apologize for not answering you in time.

It looks like your links (ibb.co) aren't reachable. Assuming these are screenshots, could you please re-upload them?

It seems Adguard fake VPN is not so fake after all, doesn't it?
Not having any context, I still want to say that the VPN is not 'real' in the sense that it does not route your traffic through any remote server. It is only used to acquire access to the DNS settings.

By the way, have you updated Adguard to v1.3.1?

Bruno

@Bruno By the way, have you updated Adguard to v1.3.1?
Yes! All the apps are up to date. But you know what, I got so pissed with NordVPN tech guys that I asked for a refund. Then, I will stop using their services.

I am testing now Perfect Privacy.
The good news is that I get no disconnection.
The bad news is that they are not compatible with Adguard.
And they also provide an ad, scam, phishing... Blocker at the VPN level.

So, if I keep their services I am not sure I will be able to keep using Adguard. :(

Last edited:

Sacman

@Bruno I have both apps on my iPhone just like you and I think I can help answer your question. It's not possible, with current VPN technology, to have a VPN inside a VPN (e.g. NordVPN traffic encapsulating AdGuard Pro blocked traffic).
Your options are such:
1. Use AdGuard in Split Tunnel mode with NordVPN and have DNS leaks and see some ads.
2. Turn off AdGuard and use NordVPN full tunneling but you will see all ads.
3. Turn off NordVPN and use AdGuard full tunneling not have any privacy.

Other VPN's that seem to allow AdGuard in full tunnel are likely not really VPN's or are doing DNS leaks.

Bruno

@Sacman

Thanks for your kind reply. But I am lot using PerfectPrivacy VPN. They do not offer an iOS client but offer a direct connection through IKEv2 which is even better. They have now a new technology called TrackStop which is impressive. Because IKEV2 connection Split or Full tunnel does not apply here.

I talked to them about Adguard. Their recommandation in order to avoid leak and keep data Crypted and secure is to leave the DNS alone. So whenever I am at home (wifi) or outside (cellular) the VPN is doing is job.

So I just keep Adguard for Safari as an extra layer.